PDA

View Full Version : Donor Rifle For 50 Beowulf Conversion

x101airborne
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey guys. I am building my dads 50 Beowulf AR and I am liking the cartrige, but I have enough black rifles. If I were to have one made on a lever, what base model rifle would one suggest and who would be a recommended source for the work? I think this could get pretty interesting!

6pt-sika
10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Try www.wildwestguns.com and see if they can help you !

Also you might try www.reedercustomguns.com .

6pt-sika
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Personally I think if I were after a 50 cal lever action I would go with the 50 Alaskan . I think it may be less trouble . And certainly brass and dies should be easier to come by ! Not necissarliy less expensive just easier to find .

JFE
10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
You might want to look at these. Similar performance with a rimmed cartridge. Ammo and components should be cheaper too.

http://bighornarmory.com/home.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM2_p6xuJQ

Lloyd Smale
10-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Im sure it could be done on a 336 action. I know ben forking did a few 50aes on 94s. But the problem is that its going to be expensive! Bens work is first rate but he doesnt work for free. Something like a 50 ak is going to be cheaper because they pump more out and have allready learned what it takes to make them. Doing something new takes experimenting. I know when i had my 475 lever done at least one bolt was ruined trying to get it right and a few more parts and you know that the gunsmith isnt going to eat the cost of that. I love my 50ak it basicaly can be loaded to elephant levels or taken back down to whitetail levels. Another though is John Linebaugh is going to do some #1s in 500 linebaugh and 500 linebaugh max. Again they probably wont be cheap but id guess cheaper then a lever done in 50beo.

x101airborne
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys, I took a cartrige and an older 336 to a machinist / hobby gunsmith buddy of mine who listed several theoretical problems with the idea. He suggested staying with either the 500 smith or 454 casull or something like that to make the idea more plausable. Main fear is problems with that darned rebated rim. I definately dont want to get in over my head as far as cost, and I dont know enough about machining or gunsmithing to tackle this myself. Oh well, anyone have any suggestions on maybe a 500 smith levergun?

6pt-sika
10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Supposedly Wild West Guns came out with anew action similar in profile to a marlin action that was made to handle the 500 S&W MAG !

But still I think it's gonns be more cost effective for you to send them a nice used Marlin 1895G and have them make you a 50 AK .

Aaron
10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
The 336 you already have can be a 50AK. That is what I used for mine.