PDA

View Full Version : My Remington Roling Block

mroliver77
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I am not as good as Ben with a camera but I try.
I had the RB out and took a pic of it. I thought I would share it with all you'all.

It is built on a smokeless powder action and was a 7x57 originally. Willbird from this forum his Dad built it with a barrel (kit?) from Numrich Arms (Gunparts Corp now). It is chambered in 45-70, has the 1/2 octagon 1/2 round barrel. It is marked "Creedmore".
The action has a nice case color, the barrel a faded silvery patina. The trigger is most excellent! The stock is a crescent butt with a thin 1/8" red rubber buttplate that is very well done. I have never seen such a setup before. It also came with a benchrest stock and forearm and the original stock.

I need to decide on sights yet. I have had this for 5 or so years and still only have a cheapo set of sights. I cannot decideon a tang sight or a Malcolm "repro" scope.

This thing is really fun to shoot! It is very barrel heavy but points well. The barrel is like new inside.

I have 2 boolits for it. One is a Lee 325gr round flat point. Driven to 1300 or so fps with IMR 3031 it is a baby. 8 - 10 gr Unique is fun fun fun! I also have an old Lyman single cavity 452423 that drops .456 or so. I Beagled it to .460+ and shot over a load of 2400 it is accurate, snappy and has little recoil. The 235 gr SWC driven at a leisurely 1200 fps would drop a deer like nobodies business.

I plan on HP some of the SWC and work up a varmint load next season. With 40-1 alloy and a "Devestator" type HP it should be neat to shoot woodchucks with! I have an area where a RR runs through a gully. They built a causeway through by filling with yellow sand. The chucks love burrowing here. It is thickly grown over and jungle like. Shots are only 10 - 30 yards on there.

Anyhow here is the old girl.
Jay

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/2074e94fc9684e9a.jpg

JSnover
10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice! If it shoots well with iron and your shots are not long, I'd go with a tang sight. I tried a Malcom on another rifle and it wasn't worth the trouble. Some folks might love them but in my case it was like buying a handful of headaches.

Buckshot
10-12-2011, 12:36 AM
............Sounds and looks like a very nicely re-worked old rifle. What you're going to use it for the most should help in sight selection. Apurture type front and rear sights will surely help in target definition and accuracy. For hunting or use in close quarters it appears you're already set up with a (looks like) buckhorn rear and blade front.

..............Buckshot

mroliver77
10-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I think you are right buckshot. Mebbe a Lyman front and some kind of aperture at the rear of the barrel (get rid of that nasty ole buckhorn). Then a tang sight for the longer stuff if I ever find the $$ for a decent one. Gun will be used for some hunting but mostly paper and plinking.

I have read quite a few reviewes on the Malcome scope and most say that the scope itself is decent enough but the mounts need serious upgrading. My vision is degrading every year and scopes really help.

I have a new lane along the back field that is around 800 yards. Once I get a backstop in I will have 100, 200, 250, 350 and whatever one wants out to 800 along the field.

Bane
10-12-2011, 05:19 AM
When i was installing the aperture sights onto my Martini i stumbled across a nifty aftermarket attachment for Aperture-type sights, which was a small magnified lens that screwed in place of the rear diopter.

Provides low (1.5-2X magnification?) but was definitely an interesting idea

JSnover
10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I have read quite a few reviewes on the Malcome scope and most say that the scope itself is decent enough but the mounts need serious upgrading. My vision is degrading every year and scopes really help.

I liked the scope itself but the mounts were terrible. Easy enough to work with but EVERY screw would shoot loose within 3-5 rounds regardless of the load. Locktite helped but even the w/e screws would not hold still. A malcom scope with some other mount might be a nice setup.

Buckshot
10-13-2011, 01:11 AM
I think you are right buckshot. Mebbe a Lyman front and some kind of aperture at the rear of the barrel (get rid of that nasty ole buckhorn). Then a tang sight for the longer stuff if I ever find the $$ for a decent one. Gun will be used for some hunting but mostly paper and plinking.

I have a new lane along the back field that is around 800 yards. Once I get a backstop in I will have 100, 200, 250, 350 and whatever one wants out to 800 along the field.

.............If you're not going to be shooting in sanctioned matches that require a "Period correct scope" why bother? A modern long eye relief or regular type scope, depending on how you'd like to set it up would be less expensive and would go into tough dependable rings/bases. Plus the elevation-windage are internal. Of course if you want the period looks, I sure understand ;)

...............Buckshot

bigted
10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
I liked the scope itself but the mounts were terrible. Easy enough to work with but EVERY screw would shoot loose within 3-5 rounds regardless of the load. Locktite helped but even the w/e screws would not hold still. A malcom scope with some other mount might be a nice setup.

my experience is exactly the same concerning the leatherwood scope.......the scope is wonderfull but the mounts are ****...ooooops !!! my main problem is with ALL the screws...they are way soft. ALL of them are soft. ive had it on three different rifles and i like the look as well as the long enough eye relief but those mounts are just awfull.......i even went so far as to order the new adjuster for it but those screws are so messed up that until i get some harder screws that will endure tightening i will prolly keep it for another winter day to play with.

sure looks bitchin on a hi-wall tho.

as for 'other scopes' i recently got a unertl 12x scope that is 24 inchs long and has the unertl type mounts and adjuster...[external]. this is such a sweety of a scope that im tempted to get another for my other rifle. this has the larger bells and body so would be dis-qualified for sanctioned matchs but i dont do them anyway so it is up to me for what works into my needs. i have a bpcr with a leopold 6 to 18 on it and while it is dandy to shoot and do load developement...when i look at it setting there i cant believe i mounted this modern scope on such a pretty rifle but.......when i go to shooting its another storie. what a fun scope...but the unertl is a hoot as well....having to pull it back into battery every shot with the small twist to the rite is just as fun to watch other watchers as it is to do.

leadman
10-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a Pedersoli Creedmoor and upgraded one step on the tang sight. It is a mid-range sight and has the Hadley style adjustable eyecup. Not very expensive for a tang but the adjustments work and stay put and with the selection of holes for your eye to look thru in the eyecup it works well.
For the front I still have the original Pedersoli tunnel with an assortment of sight blades. Would like a front sight adjustable for windage and a level bubble in it but have to wait on the funds to change it out.

Harry O
10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
My Remington Rolling Block is quite a bit different. But, I had my reasons and I like it. Here is an article on it.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/harro/106-remington-rollingblock.html