PDA

View Full Version : looking to get started

ocelott
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Looking to get started in swaging for 308 and 357 mag,

for the 308 I have seen 9mm brass used for some 170+ grain loads, would it be possible to use 380 brass for some varmit loads in the 130gr range?

as far as the 357 - what would be a good brass to use for 170-180 grain loads?

Do I need a dedicated press for the swaging or can I use a lee classic press?

where would be a good place to look for swaging dies that don't break the bank.

Grandpas50AE
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
If you are going to make jackets out of cartridge brass, using one of the more common reloading presses, you may find the ram face is the weak spot, and most die makers will recommend a swaging press. Had this happen to me years ago, and very quickly discovered that the ram on a reloading press really isn't made hard enough for some of the tougher swaging jobs. The .357 stuff probably will not give you a problem, but the .308 170+ gr. probably will - that's what defromed my ram face where the shell holder went in. It didn't take very many .308's to make the ram face where it would no longer take the shell holders. It may be possible to find someone that will make a harder ram for your press, but I really think you will be much better off starting with a swaging press for those .308's.

BT Sniper
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
9mm brass will make a great 170-180 grain bullet. Not to difficult to reduce either. On a standard reloading press you can push a 9mm case all the way threw a 9mm taper crimp die. That will get you to .366ish and teh last few thowsands will not be difficult after that. I have made some very good looking .357 bullets with the 9mm case.

For the 308 well........ anything is possible, just a matter of how much effort you wish to put into it. Reducing a 9mm or 380 or 223 down to .305ish is "work" on a reloading press. With a dedicated swage press it may be easier. I'm looking into options. Still the best brass case for the 308 bullet is the 5.7x28 if we can find any.

The 357 would be a good bullet to start with. Lots of info here.

Good shooting

BT

ocelott
10-13-2011, 01:41 PM
BT - where can I get one of your universal notched HP dies?