PDA

View Full Version : bore cleaner and leading

subsonic
10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Has anyone ever noticed whether or not different bore solvents tend to encourage or discourage leading? I'm begining to wonder about my wipe-out bore cleaner. It seems like when I use it, I get leading afterward, but maybe something else has changed?

buyobuyo
10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been using Wipe-Out in my CZ-452 (.22LR rifle), and I haven't noticed any leading. I only shoot lead .22LR ammo through it. I don't shoot lead through my AR-15 which I also use Wipe-Out in.

If I have time this week, I'll clean my .308 with Wipe-Out and take it out this weekend to see if it leads. The ammo I have loaded right now didn't lead the last time I took it out. I need to shoot up that ammo anyways.

I haven't tried Wipe-Out in any of my pistols. I find it easier to just clean them as normal.

GP100man
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I use EDs RED & a brass brush wrapped with chore boy when I get leading .

I have noticed that if I I wipe the bore comepletely dry it`s more likely to lead a little until some lube is laid down, then subsequent shots will pick up the leading .

btroj
10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Why are you using wipe-out after shooting lead?
I rarely clean after I shoot lead and I just use a regular solvent and some patches.
Could the wipe-out be leaving a clean DRY bore? Many BR shooters put a very light coat of oil on the bore before firing.
Maybe run a patch with a bit of lube on it down the barrel to lightly recoat the bore?

subsonic
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I have been using it to get rid of any j-word leftovers. I have switched almost all of my revolvers over to 100% cast by me and my 10mm Glock has been experimented with semi-sucessfully. Only one airlite j-frame gets j-words for liability reasons. Don't want it locking up from one pulling.

To everybody: what is a good "regular" solvent for cleaning up after cast? I am almost out of my bottle of Pro-Shot from about 10 years ago. Hoppes #9 was what I had before, but the smell just doesn't garner appreciation from the womenfolk like the citrus smelling Pro-Shot.

canyon-ghost
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Regular solvent for cast: Mineral Spirits paint thinner from the lumber yard. It works.

Ed's Red has a smell purdy formula, if you look it up.

subsonic
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I guess you guys didn't see the BFR barrel pics.. Plenty of copper in it when received each time.

buyobuyo
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I use MPro7 gun cleaner in my pistols and in my rifles when I don't want to bother with the Wipe-Out.

As mentioned, Wipe-Out completely degreases to bore as does MPro7. I just put a little oil on a patch and run it down the bore after it is clean. Follow that with a dry patch to remove any excess oil. Then you're good to go either for storage or shooting.

btroj
10-12-2011, 09:54 PM
I would run a patch wi a bit of lube on it down the barrel before shooting. Bore is probably too dry after the cleaning.

pdawg_shooter
10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I use 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 ATM, and 1/3 Kroil for everything. My version of Ed's red.

mongo
10-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I use wd-40 and a brush wrapped with chore boy, Then put a nice coat of breakfree LCP. Works good for me. Run 1 dry patch down bore before fireing.