PDA

View Full Version : Standard lube groves and tumble lubing.

Justinsaneok
10-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I want to know if I can get by tumble lubing a standard lube groove lee 175gr .401 TC with water dropped WW alloy. Or will I need to pan lube them till I get me a star lubrasizer? For now,I was thinking of getting a lee bullet sizing die if I need to size them. I like the base punch nose first design. Like I said, Just trying to get by till I get a sweet lube/sizer.

Sonnypie
10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, I do.
Haven't seen any ill effects so far.
I still wonder why Lee thinks having the goop over the whole bullet is so great.
I wipe my loads down with a solvented rag when complete so the stuff isn't where it does no good.

Justinsaneok
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Cool now to brew some lube

geargnasher
10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Justin, use the search function to do a quick look, this question comes up quite often.

Gear

geargnasher
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Here's a perfect example of a search result: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115418&highlight=tumble+lube+conventional

Gear

mdi
10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I thin xlox with mineral spirits when I use it straight, and a thin coat is all that's needed. After I tumble, I set the bullets on theit base to dry, and even though there is lube on the entire bullet, it's not messy or difficult to handle. If you dip the base of rhe bullet into xlox up to the crimp groove, the nose (exposed part of the bullet) stays clean; I do this with my Ranch Dog's .44 265 gr RNFP, but it also works with my Lyman 429421 bullets......

noylj
10-13-2011, 12:30 AM
If the bullet is messy, you used too much LLA.
You have the right amount if the bullet just looks wet/shiny after tumbling. If you want, after drying, you can apply another coat of LLA or even some Rooster Jacket.
The main thing is--try it.
I use only as-cast bullets and LLA.

Inkman
10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Just sized and relubed with some warmed up LLA last nite. Light, thin coats both times before and after sizing. Gonna shoot em this weekend and see how they run. Next stop is 45/45/10 just for poops and giggles. I have a feeling the 45/45/10 will work the best.

Al

Justinsaneok
10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Cool. My .401175TC mold showed up today, sweet!

fishnbob
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
If the bullet is messy, you used too much LLA.
You have the right amount if the bullet just looks wet/shiny after tumbling. If you want, after drying, you can apply another coat of LLA or even some Rooster Jacket.
The main thing is--try it.
I use only as-cast bullets and LLA.

You are right about that noylj, I used to worry about not having enough but if I can smell a trace of it on the boolit, I am good to go and it still smokes lightly.

Recluse
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Justin, use the search function to do a quick look, this question comes up quite often.

Gear

True, but that 40 Slow & Weak round is a whole nother beast and seems to have issues that other boolits/rounds/calibers don't--with leading being a big one.

But the thing is, hell, try it (tumble-lubing) and see. If it leads, slug the bore and see if it's a sizing issue, and if it's not, then pain lube the boolits.

:coffee:

Justinsaneok
10-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't have the barrel yet. It's on the way when the check clears. I don't really know the language to use the search function and get results apparently . I searched first and asked questions later. To many words typed or some thing. I'm sorry to all who feel inconvenienced by my infant casting skills. It's new to me I won't lie. I appreciate all who are helping me on my way. Thanks. For now lee push through and pans for me I think.

Inkman
10-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't have the barrel yet. It's on the way when the check clears. I don't really know the language to use the search function and get results apparently . I searched first and asked questions later. To many words typed or some thing. I'm sorry to all who feel inconvenienced by my infant casting skills. It's new to me I won't lie. I appreciate all who are helping me on my way. Thanks. For now lee push through and pans for me I think.

Keep on asking man. I love reading recent responses to topics that interest me. Also don't give up on the tumble lube yet. I simply shoot way too many boolits to even think about pan lubing, so i'm sticking with tumble lubing, come hell or high water. A lube sizer is just too far down the road for this noob 8-)

I actually enjoy trying different things, no matter how many have gone before, just because i want to see the results myself and make a decision based on my own results.

Al

41mag
10-16-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm only loading hme cast in a couple of revolvers right now but have a couple of set ups for the rifles as well. Personally I have been using the Lee sizing dies and Alox in one form or another and don't see any need nor a want to change. It's WAY to easy for me and I don't have to have another place set up on my bench expressly for the lube/sizer. The zip lock bags I use for lubing and the Lee sizing dies, take up WAY less room and cost a whole lot less than a sizer with attachments.