PDA

View Full Version : Double Tap ammo

44man
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I had to sight a Hunter today with a new Ultra Dot. I was not happy with groups from the 320 gr boolit. I took my SBH down and it did the same thing.
I need to try my loads next.

subsonic
10-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Is THAT A BISLEY?!!!

Whitworth
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Is THAT A BISLEY?!!!

That is MY Bisley. That load groups great when I shoot it -- really great (out of my Uberti as well). Not handload great, but load the revolver and go hunting great. Looks to me like you may be having an off day on the trigger. I can't tell you how many animals I've taken with that load and it works like a charm.

subsonic
10-11-2011, 04:35 PM
:kidding:

Just giving Jim a hard time. All in fun. I'm begining to wonder if I have forgotten how to shoot. Can't get ANYTHING to group :takinWiz: :oops:

subsonic
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Speaking of that, and just thinking about variables that we are fighting..... benchresting a handgun is like riding a pig. It can be done, but it's not what they're for.

Another game I have quite a bit of interest in is precision rifle shooting. I guess I'm just an accuracy freak. With that game, there is aquite a bit of emphasis on follow through, driving the rifle, and how the rifle rides a rest, even going so far as to design the rest and rifle to sort-of "mate" together to keep the rifle straight during recoil. Bipod shooting is a whole 'nuther subject. When I shoot my short barreled stuff - 4" 629 and 5.5" Bisley, they don't ride the bags worth a flock. The Bisley's ejector rod button grabs the bag because the muzzle is only slightly longer than the EJRH and the grip frame doesn't like resting on my smaller rear bag. My 629 doesn't have much barrel to even rest ON the bags! I have lots of duct tape on my sandbags from muzzle blast ripping and burning them and plenty of duct-tape goo on the bottom of the guns. I found scraps of duct tape stuck to my left arm today at work that I blew off this morning at the range with the .44! I also have a hard time replicating my off-hand grip when I'm using the bags. I swear I can shoot these almost as good off-hand vs the bench! Now longer barreled stuff, like that .475 BFR (for the short time it has been here and not at MR), rode the bags like a champ. Plenty of barrel to rest on the bag and a nice soft, wide bottom on the grips to ride the rear bag. It also made 2" groups at 50yds, even with the heavy leading and my less than stellar bench technique.

Here's another thought. If you read enough stuff, eventually you see something worthwhile. There was an article by one of the gunwriters a few years ago about bench testing handguns for the magazine. He said he found his best accuracy by resting his CHIN on sandbags to to stabilize his head in relation to the sights. Makes sense! I've been playing with resting my head on my right shoulder and doing a severe "weaver" stance on the bench where my right arm is almost straight behind the gun......and I *think* it helps. Watch Massad Ayoob shoot and you'll see what I mean. He calls it a "bridge index" and suggests that it helps with point shooting. I don't know about all of that, but I know there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'd be real interested in seeing video of 44man in action on the bench.... just to see his technique.

subsonic
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I think i'm going to remove the ejector rod housing on my Bisley next time at the range and see what happens.

44man
10-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I think i'm going to remove the ejector rod housing on my Bisley next time at the range and see what happens.
No, don't do that.
I have been having a problem with this computer again. I spilled coffee on the keyboard and the A key kept doing this-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . Then the z key-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Double Tap has great ammo but I feel the .44 is using mag primers because they equal my mag primer groups.

subsonic
10-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Why not?

44man
10-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Why not?
I hate to ever fool with the screw in the housing. The factory seems to get them tight and once I remove one, it is harder to keep them tight. The housing is not in the way and does not hurt if on the bags.
I also have shot my bag many times! :bigsmyl2: Even with a 10" barrel too.

subsonic
10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Mine has been off too many times to count and comes loose anyway.

44man
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Mine has been off too many times to count and comes loose anyway.
Use a perfect screwdriver, put a lot of torque on it and smack the handle with a small hammer. Use red Lock-Tite and let it cure.

redneckdan
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Double Tap has been caught in some sketchy business practices in the last couple years. They have been caught substituting plated-swaged bullets such as berrys and montana gold for premium defensive bullets such as Gold Dots or XTPs, WITHOUT TELLING THE CUSTOMERS!!! Some lots of ammo have been loaded with the wrong bullet weight from what is advertised. Not very encouraging for stuff advertised as self defense ammunition.

44man
10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Double Tap has been caught in some sketchy business practices in the last couple years. They have been caught substituting plated-swaged bullets such as berrys and montana gold for premium defensive bullets such as Gold Dots or XTPs, WITHOUT TELLING THE CUSTOMERS!!! Some lots of ammo have been loaded with the wrong bullet weight from what is advertised. Not very encouraging for stuff advertised as self defense ammunition.
We have had no problems with the cast hunting loads, they have great booits. Accuracy has been top. However I firmly believe the .44 needs a primer change.
Did you know Fed Premium ammo can have 6 different bullets and 6 different powders for a rifle? Every time you buy a new box, you need to sight in again. Buy 20 boxes of the same lot.
That goes for every factory load, even .22's. If you find some that shoot, go back and buy all the stock because the next lot can have a change.

subsonic
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Just one more reason I reload.

But really, any item that's in production today will get parts substituted to meet demand if the normal part is not available to meet a delivery date. That's just the way manufacturing runs today in the world of no inventory. Welcome to just-in-time manufacturing and lean manufacturing.

redneckdan
10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Problem is they are substituting inferior components without telling the customer. I would see no huge issue with swapping a Gold Dot for a Hydroshock or a Golden Sabre. But swapping an unproven bulk bullet in place of a proven defensive bullet is unacceptable.

Whitworth
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Problem is they are substituting inferior components without telling the customer. I would see no huge issue with swapping a Gold Dot for a Hydroshock or a Golden Sabre. But swapping an unproven bulk bullet in place of a proven defensive bullet is unacceptable.

Is this an internet rumor or was there legal action against the company? This is the first time I have heard such accusations.

redneckdan
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
No idea on legal action. I have seen a batch of the ammunition first hand. There is more information on a couple different forums. Google is yer friend.