PDA

View Full Version : H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70 and Black Powder Cartridges?

juniorsonic
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I have one of these great H&R single-shots and I have been wondering if it is safe to load BPC's for it instead of the normal smokeless 45-70's I load for it. Are there any drawbacks (besides constant cleaning)? And if using a 405-grain SWC, would I just fill the case enough so that a bullet + fiber wad - when seated to correct OAL - compresses the charge?

montana_charlie
10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Responding in the order asked ...

Yes
No
Yes

CM

tacklebury
10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
+1 - I've done several sets of BP cartridges. If you are using a HB bullet, you might consider a grease cookie instead of a wad. I used no wad at all for the first set. Some use cornmeal as a replacement for a portion of the BP for reduced power loads. If you do this, you should not need a grease cookie or wad at all. Cornmeal loads tend to clean the barrel too. ;) Here's an article by Junior you might want to read too. ;)

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

bigted
10-18-2011, 02:36 PM
+1 - I've done several sets of BP cartridges. If you are using a HB bullet, you might consider a grease cookie instead of a wad. I used no wad at all for the first set. Some use cornmeal as a replacement for a portion of the BP for reduced power loads. If you do this, you should not need a grease cookie or wad at all. Cornmeal loads tend to clean the barrel too. ;) Here's an article by Junior you might want to read too. ;)

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

very nice introductory article...thanks for posting this as it should be a neat text for a beginning for new shooters of black powder. almost makes me want to go search out a handy-rifle for myself.

tacklebury
10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Np. 8) That's the article that helped me decide I had to go .45-70. ;) I'm beginning to make my own BP, so that'll tell if they are consistent. ;)

juniorsonic
10-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the very informative answers, guys. Great stuff!!