PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if it is lead or zinc (for a beginner)???

juniorsonic
10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Just like the title says. I scored my first 5-gallon bucket of wheel weights from a tire shop and I am using a magnet to get all the steel ones out, BUT: what is the foolproof method of identifying other non-desirable metals such as zinc in this big pile?

P.K.
10-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Easy way for me anyway is the time honored "drop test." At least with WW it's worked well. Pb ww sound plain dull when dropped on the floor. Zinc or anything else "rings" a little.

edler7
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I pinch them with a pair of side cutters. Lead will pinch easily. After doing a few lead, a zinc weight will stand right out due to it's increased hardness.

alamogunr
10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
A thermometer works well when you are cleaning WW. Keep the temperature below about 650ºF and skim the zinc WW off with the clips.

Freightman
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Acid test:

bumpo628
10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Most zinc weights that I've seen are marked "Zn" The only exception I've noticed are some small rectangular stick on zinkers with a funny "S" shape on the front.

I stick a strong magnet to the back of a pair of side cutters. Anything questionable can be tested with the magnet or nipped with the cutters without changing tools.

On last thing I've noticed is that the zinc weights tend to be cleaner. So, check those first.

NHGrumpyGramps
10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
All of these techniques will work and you need to find a system that works best for you. The drop test is difficult for me to utlilze as I'm pretty much "tone deaf" and have hearing loss so can't really tell a thud from a ring. I use an old gasoline fueled plumbers furnace to smelt lead WW and it is too difficult to control exact temperatures. I have settled on same technique that bumpo uses with magnet on side nippers. After you do couple of buckets it really goes pretty fast. Steel one are easy to spot because of the shape and most lead ones are marked/ gouged when they are removed from the wheel with WW pliers. The others can easily be tested with magnet/nippers. I have also found most zinc are marked with ZN and appear to be cleaner, although I have found a few that had no markings at all. Best advice is to go slow and inspect each one to start and you will soon be able to easily tell the difference between them.

Good Luck

Bad Water Bill
10-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I just dump the bucket over. Pick up a weight and rub on the concrete. Lead feels like using a piece of chalk, zinc and metal just slide across. Pitch the good ones into the bucket and the junk in the garbage. Fairly quick and easy. The only problem I have is getting these old bones back up again.:bigsmyl2:

P.K.
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I just dump the bucket over. Pick up a weight and rub on the concrete. Lead feels like using a piece of chalk, zinc and metal just slide across. Pitch the good ones into the bucket and the junk in the garbage. Fairly quick and easy. The only problem I have is getting these old bones back up again.:bigsmyl2:

Yup! Another good test. Drag the WW across your drive, Thanks BWB!

Old Iron Sights
10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
So what if you let some zinc slip by? What percent is acceptable? Just made my first batch and I wonder if I got a couple zinc ww's included.

mac3
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
The only zinc I've found were a handful out of 2 buckets. I noticed the clip is riveted on rather than into the weight. They were also a grey/blue color (painted).
+1 on the temp melt. Stay @ 650* and all will be fine. I found one that I missed the other day. It was floating on the top with the clips.
Seems we still have the good stuff in Western NC, but they are getting harder to find.
NO zinc is acceptable IMO. It can be prevented. Good luck, Mac.

badbob454
10-13-2011, 11:52 PM
So what if you let some zinc slip by? What percent is acceptable? Just made my first batch and I wonder if I got a couple zinc ww's included.

i think 1 percent is ok ...just hardens the alloy above 2percent and it gets messed up / oatmeal looking boolits ...... but i prefer 0 percent then if a half percent slips by then im ok ..

Old Iron Sights
10-14-2011, 07:48 AM
I cast about 300 bullets and they came out pretty good. Guess I got all the zinc out.

WILCO
10-14-2011, 10:03 AM
J BUT: what is the foolproof method of identifying other non-desirable metals such as zinc in this big pile?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765&highlight=wheelweights

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19961&highlight=markings+wheelweights

captaint
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Careful fellas - the zinc weights can LOOK like anything. I'm a side cutter guy myself. After a few zinc finds, you'll know one right away. It's a feel thing. enjoy Mike

alamogunr
10-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I use the side cutters too even though I use a thermometer to eliminate those zinc weights that I miss. There usually aren't many since as captaint said, you get a feel for them. Visually I can't tell the difference between most of them.

The biggest reason for sorting is to get out all the steel weights. They have become the major non-lead WW's. I don't want to have to deal with them when skimming clips.

zomby woof
10-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Dutch oven, turkey fryer. I add the weights add heat and watch. When it starts to melt I stir. I keep stirring until the clips are free. The zinc will show up real easy. The melt isn't even at 600 yet.

a.squibload
10-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I sort first, can recognize zinc and steel by look and feel now,
still test steel with the magnet to be sure,
and some zincs with the side cutters if the markings are wiped out.
ALMOST every zinc weight I ever found had "Zn" on it, maybe 2 didn't so far.
I figure why heat the steel and zinc weights only to pull 'em out?
I did find one floating in a batch, hey nobody's perfect.