PDA

View Full Version : melting suplus lead shot bag dive weights

mstrausbough
10-11-2011, 06:00 AM
I no longer dive and have about 50 lbs of sea pearls lead shot. Has anyone ever cast using this type of lead? I did a few test melts using a torch and it seemed to flow ok.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Seuss

VA Shooter
10-11-2011, 08:14 AM
I have cast 45 colt using the lead blocks from dive belts and that worked fine

Sonnypie
10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure about "Sea Pearls", or even dive weights.

But I found a steady source for good (or I think it's good anyway) lead from a local trap and skeet range. I buy bags of Magnum Shot and melt it down and cast it.
Magnum shot is a harder shot alloy, purportedly 4-6% Antimony to make it harder (so it flys better, less strays).
For me it's a win-win. Because I also do a little scatter gunning. So my lead supply is dual purpose. :smile:

Your dive weights can't be too far off considering the Potpourri found in a bucket of wheel weights. IF... you can find any wheel weights at all. :-(
In fact, your dive weights might well be closer to pure lead... ;)

P.K.
10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I have cast 45 colt using the lead blocks from dive belts and that worked fine

I just cast a bunch of 250gr. REAL's out of weight belt lead. Got some color but nothing earth shattering. They came out so well I called around to a dive shop in town to see about getting some more. He wanted 6.00 a pound!

Looks like it's yardsale finds for those weight belts.

mstrausbough
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
I checked with my local dive shop where i use to use for my diving. they charge $2 a pound for lead weights. $6 seems a bit high

P.K.
10-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I checked with my local dive shop where i use to use for my diving. they charge $2 a pound for lead weights. $6 seems a bit high

<=====Look where I live, I told the shop owner the same thing. He said it was the cost of having to ship. I told him he was full of it, because there are at least two foundries in Nashville that cast ballast, keels and lead belt weights. I just wanted to find some local, not drive the 50 or so miles to save shipping.

JSnover
10-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Sinkers and dive weights may not be pure but it doesn't mean you can't use them. Cast some up at a normal temp and see what you get. Worst case; you'll need to add some pure lead to it.

2wheelDuke
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Maybe you'd be better off to trade those weights for lead and save yourself the effort of smelting them. I'd be interested in trading for them. Do you still have the belt(s)?

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
I scrounge the local repair/tire shops for WW.
my biggest competition is a guy who melts 'em down for dive weights.
so I assume his weights are mostly WW alloy,
BUT, I doubt he cares if some Zinc gets in his alloy :(
Jon

2wheelDuke
10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I scrounge the local repair/tire shops for WW.
my biggest competition is a guy who melts 'em down for dive weights.
so I assume his weights are mostly WW alloy,
BUT, I doubt he cares if some Zinc gets in his alloy :(
Jon

Not at all. Those guys will just run it hot as hell and pour it. Some zinc in the mix won't slow them down at all.

troy_mclure
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM
sea pearls sell pretty well on fleebay, you can get regular dive weights pretty cheap, sometimes $10-20lbs.