PDA

View Full Version : Turkey cooker burner freezing up

odinohi
10-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Sometimes this thing runs fine and sometime it frosts up. When it frosts, it just doesnt burn very hard and you cant adjust it. Tapping on the concrete helps, but only very temporary. What can I do? Thanks, Tom

Storydude
10-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Warm water poured over the regulator.

Ziptar
10-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Most likely the tank is over full. Did you have it filled recently?

Warm water over the regulator, or put the tank in a tub of warm water, or bleed some gas off.

Also try lighting it with the valve at a quarter of a turn and the burner on high, Then slowly open the valve all the way / enough to get you to temp.

shotman
10-11-2011, 08:13 AM
longer hose will help too

oneokie
10-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Get a tank blanket type heater. Or wrap the tank with heat tape like is used for water pipes.

dnotarianni
10-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Get a bigger tank. Your gas withdrawal rate from the tank is too high causing frost . second option is put the tank in a bucket and fill bucket with warm to hot water to cool the gas coming from the tank.

dave

odinohi
10-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Tank is my big tank that I use to heat the house. Dont always have this problem. Hose is 25ft to get from my tank to my smelting area. I'll try the warm water trick and let you all know how it works. Thanks, Tom

oneokie
10-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Tank is my big tank that I use to heat the house. Dont always have this problem. Hose is 25ft to get from my tank to my smelting area. I'll try the warm water trick and let you all know how it works. Thanks, Tom

What size is this tank? 100 lb, 250 gallon? 500 gallon? It can't be very large if it is freezing up running a turkey fryer.

ETA, on days with high humidity and dew points, it is easy for the tanks to frost over.

Mk42gunner
10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
The way I am reading this; it is the burner itself that is frosting, right? If so, take it off the hose and clean it out. I had one that a spider built a nest/ web in the air venturi portion, I couldn't get enough air through it to burn the propane. After taking the whole thing apart and cleaning the spider web out, it worked fine.

Robert

odinohi
10-13-2011, 03:09 AM
The way I am reading this; it is the burner itself that is frosting, right? If so, take it off the hose and clean it out. I had one that a spider built a nest/ web in the air venturi portion, I couldn't get enough air through it to burn the propane. After taking the whole thing apart and cleaning the spider web out, it worked fine.

Robert

Its the small regulator that came with the turkey cooker that is frosting up. I will take the burner apart and check it out. Lots of spiders around here. Thanks, Tom

Jeffrey
10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
If regulator is frosting, liquid propane is getting to it. Run gas feed hose through bucket of warm water to reduce liquid coming through.

Bambeno
10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Are you using the same tank tap that runs to your house that is already regulated? Alot of tanks have a vapor and a liquid tap, I wonder if this might be your issue.

Mal Paso
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Many houses use a 2 stage regulation. The regulator at the tank drops the pressure to 10 psi, the regulator at the house drops it to 11" WC. Much better cold weather performance. Your gas man might have a 10 psi take off you could put ahead of your valve. They aren't hugely expensive new. It's refrigeration from the expanding gas sometimes aided by moisture in the propane ( water from tank testing).

cajun shooter
10-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Propane and natural gas use different regulators and burners. That could be a problem that will not correct it's self until the proper equipment is used for the system.

odinohi
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a shut off valve on the end of the hose near the propane tank. I cracked the valve halfway and it seems to run like it should, but this was only for a short smelting session. I had been running the valve wide open. I'll try a longer session this weekend and see how it does. I have about 600lb of ww to melt. Thanks all, Tom