PDA

View Full Version : 1892 Winchester Take-Down...update!

rbertalotto
10-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I had to rebarrel the Winchester 1892 TD as the factory barrel proved defective.

Read all about it here:

http://rvbprecision.com/

W.R.Buchanan
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Roy: Great write up and the pictures were excellent. This is the best write up on takedowns I have seen!!! your work looked real nice also. So many make that button on the mag tube look bad yours is nice.

I have been going to do this conversion on various Marlins for a while now, just waiting until other projects are finished.

Damn nice job!!!

Randy

Buchanan Precision Machine

rbertalotto
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks Randy..........

MtGun44
10-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Very nice work. It is pretty tempting to make a Win 94 TD from one of mine.

Bill

rbertalotto
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I've been working on it since 6am. The forend and forend cap came in. I'm just waiting for the tenon hanger before I cut the final dovetail for it.

It really looks sweet with the octagon barrel and Numrich sent me a beautiful forend.

I sanded it down to remove the checkering as the stock has no checkering and it looked strange with just the forend being checkered, Under the Marlin spray on finish and under the checkering was a beautiful piece of walnut....

Stay tuned!

rbertalotto
10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
IT'S DONE!

Updated article here:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi-1892-winchester-take-down-conversion.html

http://images15.fotki.com/v223/photos/2/36012/9975203/P1030020-vi.jpg

Jailer
10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
What an incredible peice of work, well done!

Don't kid yourself, you've got some mighty fine talent to pull off a project like that.

Of course, I need to quit looking at threads like this. I never knew about all the cool stuff that I needed until I found this place. :cool:

W.R.Buchanan
10-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Roy: Nice job. You ended up with a 20" barrel?

The cool thing about this thread is that is shows others how to follow along and do this type of work.

Randy

rbertalotto
10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, I chopped it at 20" as I already have two 45LC rifles with 24" (Rossi 1892 454/45LC and Marlin 1894 45LC)

I think a 20" barrel is better for woods hunting. And being a TD it will pack 4" smaller.

rbertalotto
10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh BTW, I appreciate all the kind comments from you folks.........But some fellow named Alex sent me this message:

"I applaud your ingenuity. Guess my main question is: why did you spend so much time “trying to reinvent the wheel”? Winchester had a well engineered, proven system that has been around for over 100 years. It worked, and worked well. You took that, put on your thinking cap, took out all the good aspects, then cobbled together something that might work.
Seems to me the only thing missing is some Elmer’s glue and duct tape."

Illegitimi non carborundum

[smilie=b::groner:

Jailer
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh BTW, I appreciate all the kind comments from you folks.........But some fellow named Alex sent me this message:

Guess my main question is: why did you spend so much time “trying to reinvent the wheel”?

Illegitimi non carborundum

[smilie=b::groner:

Why? Because you can.

Don't let em beat you down, it looks fantastic.

W.R.Buchanan
10-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Roy: He's jealous!!! He obviously thinks he knows something about what you're doing. I doubt he actually does as if he did he'd know you can't buy a Winchester takedown just anywhere except for the new one that is about $2000 and is hardly available.

He also doesn't know that any older Winchester take down rifle was a custom shop gun and Is probably worth more than the new ones are.

I have a pretty good idea of how all of the different rifle take down systems work, and I fail to see the relavence of his comment. Especially the part about "taking all the good points out?" What good points did you leave out? They all have essentially the same things going on, a barrel block that is timed to the threads and some way to slide the mag tube in and out to lock it in place. The only thing yours doesn't have is a way to take up slack, and neither did the Winchester Rifles! The shotguns did, but the rifles didn't,,, you sent them back to the custom shop if they ever got loose.

I doubt he knows what he is talking about. Send him over here, we'll plumb him up!

Fagedaboudit !!!!

Randy

9.3X62AL
10-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Alex is a TROLL. Very fine work, sir.

TXGunNut
10-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Wow. Nicely done. Never had more than a passing interest in TD's but I really like what you've done. Like Alex, I have no idea what I'm talking about but I know an attractive well-built rifle when I see one.

MtGun44
10-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Some people are just butt heads. Alex is amazingly narrow minded.

Looks really nice and a simple conversion. Well done.

Bill