PDA

View Full Version : Piebald Deer?

454PB
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe I've lived a sheltered life up north, but I've never heard of this species of Deer. Anybody know about them?

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3036&stc=1&d=1170780739

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3037&stc=1&d=1170780754

357maximum
02-06-2007, 01:23 PM
A pieballed deer is just a genetic color phase, not unlike albino or melanistic deer.

I actually shot a partially pieballed dandy 8 pointer in 1999, he had white front legs and a nice aiming dot about 8 inches in diameter right over his right lung....stuck him with an arrow, he went about 20 yards caught his anlers on a fence he was jumping, flopped onto his back,,,got back up, went about 15 feet, and fell over dead...

We see a piballed from time to time, as well as the rare albino(2 in 33 years for me). I have also seen some damn near black ones,black in the face ones, and in 96 I killed a small six pointer with a small mane like a horse....and there was a five legged freak killed not far from here in the mid 80's..........nature she is a wondrous thing...

fatnhappy
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Piebalds are just a different color phase, not a different species. They're all over the place down at Seneca Army Depot. They have a whole herd of them there. One of my buddies has one mounted.

There were a couple nature kooks petitioning the Manitoba Game Commision (resource board, envirmental board????) for protected status of a couple piebald moose. They were soliciting help all over the web. they wanted to created a 30K acre park, totally devoid of predators to help their rare moose, and turn them into a tourist attraction, all in the name of biodiversity.
I ripped one guy to shreds on the wisdom and science of protecting and promoting recessive genes at the expense of overall herd health, to no avail. I believe they enjoy protected status now.

7br
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
In my somewhat inexpert opinion, Whatcher got there is a deer that isn't ripe yet. Eat it now and it will be all bitter sorta like a green persimmon. Best give it another couple of months to ripen.

fatnhappy
02-06-2007, 05:44 PM
roflmao

9.3X62AL
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Now, THAT was good, 7BR!

357maximum
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
In my somewhat inexpert opinion, Whatcher got there is a deer that isn't ripe yet. Eat it now and it will be all bitter sorta like a green persimmon. Best give it another couple of months to ripen.

almost wet myself...good un'

Now that's an angle I had not considered.....you been hangin out with carpetman lately?

RugerFan
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I saw several piebald whitetails when I lived in northern Maryland. Like fatnhappy said, not a different species, just a genetic thing. If you see one, there are probably more in the area.

Slowpoke
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
We see them all time here in E., VA, some are almost total white some look like a strawberry roan horse, some are marked like a paint horse, no natural predators so those gene's breed on.

good luck

454PB
02-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the education. I have to say I've never seen or even heard the name Piebald before. We have albino Deer around here, but this one looked like a half hearted albino.