PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here got a Chevy Duramax pickup?

Triggerhappy
10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Been looking for a new pickup since my better half says the single cab old truck won't fit the new baby. Thinking about a 2 year old Chevy with Duramax. Wanted to pick a brain about it. Always had Ford diesels, but not with the luck they've been having lately.

TH

Dirtdgger
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TH I got a 2009 I bought new in2010 . Gets about 16.8 mph it's a four door ride is pretty good wife don't complain . So far got about 24000 miles on it no problems as of yet except for the pipe I bumped in to put dent in front bumper. I pull cattle trailer and 38ft gooseneck with it does great .

Suo Gan
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
TH I got a 2009 I bought new in2010 . Gets about 16.8 mph

He's in Idaho, I think they drive faster than they do in Oklahoma!

PatMarlin
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I wish.

My buddy has 2 of them. One with 75k and no problems on either. Hard to beat Isuzu.

elk hunter
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't, but a daughter and son-in-law have two of them. The son-in-laws has over 180,000 with no major problems. He's a pipe liner and uses his hard every day. Hers is her town car. The son-in-law plans on buying another one to replace his next year. He just told me that several of the guys he works with have them and some have over 200,00 with no major problems.

If I were in the market for a new pickup I'd sure look at them.

PatMarlin
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I've got 230k on my old Chevy 4x4 Diesel. 19 mpg on mountain and flat highway combined. Still runs like a top. I hope it hold's out until my ship comes in so I can replace it with a Duramax.

Used that is. I buy trucks like in dog years. 7 years behind.

MT Gianni
10-11-2011, 12:16 AM
A friend has one as a ranch truck. He says it is nearly indestructible but very uncomfortable to ride in. Chris is husky and around 5' 10" tall. He claims it hurts his back to run it 50 miles on the highway. I would make sure that it fits you.

Triggerhappy
10-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys. Was wondering what kinds of mileage folks are getting. I get 16 all day long with my old Ford. I'd like to beat that, really like 20 on the highway. 4 door, 4WD long bed. Found a 09' with 60K for under $40K. Going to try to talk them down a little. That's a lot of money these days, especially for me...

TH

Triggerhappy
10-11-2011, 12:24 AM
MT, good point. Just took the MIL's pickup to Spokane a couple of weeks ago, same seats in a 1/2 ton. They worked ok for that 8 hour trip.

Triggerhappy
10-11-2011, 12:24 AM
This truck has back up sensors, guess it yells at you when you back up to something. Not sure I like that. May have some wires to cut...

HeavyMetal
10-11-2011, 12:59 AM
TH I gotta tell ya duramax is a bad subject around the workplace.

If you get into a later one ( anything after 2001) you should be fine. the one we bought as a tow rig for work only had one problem: fuel injector leakage!

When it ran it ran hard, I pulled a 4500 pound sweeper up the "grapevine" loaded in a trailer that weighed about 8000 pounds and did it at 80 MPH and could have gone faster if the traffic had been lighter! LOL!

However it had the nasty habit of filling one or more cylinders with fuel and locking the engine into a no start condition! And it would do so at the most inopertune time!

We usually run our rigs 250,000 or so before we sell them the 2001 Duramax never hit 175,000! Driver went out to start it one morning and it had a partial cylinder full of diesel.

Bent the rod and scrapped the crank when he spun it to start it up!

Price to replace the motor was more than the rig was worth, particularly since this was about the 8th time the injectors had a leaking problem! By the way want to take a guess on how many times we actually got it fixed under warranty?

The Duramax got sold to a kid with a rolled 07 and we replaced the Duramax wih a Ford diesel.

It was a tough call to make as the Chevy had been a great performer when it ran!

What killed us buying another was the fact Chevy requires you buy the "crewcab" to get the Izuzu running gear.

Yes the Chevy has a much nicer ride but we did not need a crew cab for a tow vechicle and the difference in price was huge!

Shop it carefull and do a warranty recall check on it before the purchase, any dealer can run the vin number for you, and make sure the one you want hasn't had the same issue with the injectors!

I've talked to a bunch of late model duramax owners and most of them were never blessed with the issue.

Not knocking the buy just telling you my story!

geargnasher
10-11-2011, 01:13 AM
If you buy a Duramax, understand that like any modern diesel pickup, repairs are extremely expensive. I see fewer problems with the Duramax of any vintage than I do with either the Cummins or Navistar engines. Take care of it from the beginning, maintain oil and fuel system religiously, keep up with the exhaust fluid if buying a new one ($20/gallon), and it will keep your repair cost down after the first 100K.

When I mean expensive, a CP3 injection pump is about four grand installed, and injectors are about $700 each and are very labor-intensive to change. With any modern light truck diesel, when you open the hood for diagnosis and repair, you throw THOUSAND-DOLLAR BILLS at it, not $100 bills like you would have ten years ago. The biggest problem for owners of light diesels made in the last 5-8 years is that they have no idea how important maintenance really is for these low-emissions trucks, and really have no concept of how expensive engine repairs typically are for them. If you don't have to have a diesel for heavy towing, take my advice and buy your Chevy with a gasoline engine.

Gear

mnkyracer
10-11-2011, 02:05 AM
WE currently use a Duramax to haul our race trailer. Dang thing pulls like a dream, even with our "slightly' overweight 45 ft trailer. Only problem that we have had was the injector wiring harness. There was a service bulletin put out about the harness rubbing thru on the alternator mount. Found 2 bare wires that we fixed but couldn't find the 3rd. New harness was $1,200 installed. We would still buy another in a heartbeat.

ss40_70
10-11-2011, 03:37 AM
i have to agree with gear on this but ill throw in something to think about , price of fuel , diesel runs about .30 cents more a gallon around here then gasoline and if you couple that with the $4000- $5000 diesel option along with higher maintenence expenses .. and dont forget tires these high horsepower diesel engines are murder on rear tires .. it doesnt take very long to see a gas engine will be cheaper in the long run for 98% of us .... i personaly dont think engine longevity comes into play with these trucks .. look at gears post and see what just the injection pump costs .... about the same as a complete new installed gas engine

Lloyd Smale
10-11-2011, 05:21 AM
two in my neihborhood. One with just over a 100k on it and the other pushing close to 300k and both owners swear by them. By the way the one with 300k has been run about since new with a bulldog progamer set at max power all the time it is VERY STOUT! He went through two transmition rebuilds before he finally upgraded everything in the trany to take the power it puts out. Ive road in and drove that truck alot and to say its fast and powerful is an underexageration. Going from that truck to my 5.3 liter chev is about like going from my truck to my 4cyl jeep!! The one with 100k isnt worked that hard but the the 300k truck hauls loads of scrap downstate just about weekly and the motor itself has never had a problem. Id have one myself if it werent for the cost of buying one. I dont think the average guy would ever recoup the savings in fuel over a gas motor even if deisel was the same price as gas. My gas motor will get simular fuel economy if both trucks are empty. So for someone like me its a waste but load my gas motor up and gas milage drops to 10 real quick. The gas motors these days just dont make good torque and it really works them to pull something. Even pulling my trailer for my rzr empty drops my fuel milage from 20 to about 12 and there desiels will barely drop in milage with a good load. So if you drive alot and drive alot loaded and pulling there probably a great deal but for most truck owners that buy them there more of a macho thing then a practical thing.

Lloyd Smale
10-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Funny thing is both of these guys used to own ford diesels and will cuss the things till they die. But both will admit that the dodge deisels are good rigs.

rockrat
10-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Mine has only 26k miles. It has 4:10 gears, but wish it had 3:73 instead. I get about 18mpg or so, at 70mph, but it drops off fast above that. lose about 1 mpg at 75, then another at 80. I put a dual exhaust stystem and took off the towing mirrors not long after I bought it, and mileage went up about 2 mpg. The thing is about aerodynamic as a brick!! 3:73 gears might get you up to 20mpg

Just got back from California. Nice to set the cruise and not worry about the 10,000 ft mountain passes

timkelley
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Triggerhappy, my 2005 2500HD goes from just south of Riggins (Pollock) to Lewiston at about 19 MPG. If I come up past you and go out towards Montana I will get upwards of 20 because of the lower speed on US12.
The ride is great as far as we are concerned. We took mine to Michigan and back this spring.
Only problem I have is I hate a vehicle smarter than I am and like all the new ones, this pickup is.
If youd like, PM me and we will see if we can meet in Grangeville and ride around the Prarie for a couple hours.

44fanatic
10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Have an 06 Duramax with just over 75k miles. With the stock tires (245/75r/16) I was getting 22mpg at 55-60mph (no shell at the time). With the current tires (265/75r/16) and shell at 75-80mph im getting just under 17mpg (havnt really checked it at 60mph). Also got 6-8mpg going accros SD pulling my boat (21') at 80mph...headwind killed the gas mileage but hit the MT border and went up the passes like the boat was not there.

Had to replace the AGR(?) sensor in it a couple of years ago, think it ran around $1500, was covered under warranty at the time so it wasnt painful.

Very comfortable ride and the only time it makes noise is on the cooler mornings.

Larry Gibson
10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
This truck has back up sensors, guess it yells at you when you back up to something. Not sure I like that. May have some wires to cut...

Should have a button to turn it off.

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
10-11-2011, 11:48 AM

My work van has them and I like it. Tall grass will fool them but it lets you know if a kid or something low moved after you checked back there.

Larry Gibson
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I've an '09 Silverado with Duramax and 6 speed Allison transmission. Absolutely love it as it's pretty well "loaded" and very comfortable. With my 5th wheel loaded they go down the road pushing 22,000 lbs. Have no problems pulling the trailer at all, even on some pretty steep mountain roads. Mileage in town depends on how lazy I am and whether I let the tranny do the work or shift it myself. That's done with a button on shift lever and the thinking about shifting and doing it with the thumb can be very exhausting.........:bigsmyl2:

I get 13 -16 mpg in town, 24-25 mpg at 55, 22-23 mpg at 60, 20-22 mpg at 65 and 19-20 mpg at 70 mph. Pulling the 5th wheel trailer I get 11.5 - 12.5 mpg with straight #2 deisel, sometimes 13.5 with a tailwind and 10.5 with a headwind. With bio diesel the MPG will drop between 1-3 mpg (hate that ****).

I love this Silverado and so does the wife, she'd rather me drive her around in it than our car.

Larry Gibson

Fishman
10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I had an '06 Duramax crew cab dually. When I bought it it had 60 k on it and I sold it with about 85k on it. It got between 15 and 19 mpg (tested every tank) and was very smooth. The problem was it had sensors for things that were still working but the sensors had quit. The things that were working don't exist in gas trucks. $3,500 later, the xxxx light finally went off and stayed off. After I was satisfied it was fixed, I sold it and went back to driving my paid for 2000 Silverado. It has 200k on it and I haven't had to fix anything but the AC compressor.

For my needs, which include towing a boat and a small camper, the diesel was overkill. I also remain unconvinced of the long-term durability of diesel engines vs gas. I mean, for the extra cost of the diesel, I can replace my gas engine and transmission at least once.

I see 5.3 liter Chevy's on Craigslist with close to 300k on them. I'm not sure how long they are designed to run, but mine still sounds and runs like new.

leadman
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I had an '05 Silverado 4X4 extended cab, 5.3, 4.10 gears. I would get 16 in town, 20 or so on freeway at 75mph unloaded, 14 to 15 with a small TT behind it. Transmission had a mind of its own and after it was apart 3 times sold the truck.
For what I did though the diesel would have been too expensive to buy and maintain. I also was a diesel mechanic, having started with Cummins in 1969.
The weight of the truck is another issue as I hunt and fish in some very remote areas.
With the gas cheaper than diesel the cost per mile for fuel is close, while the cost for tires and oil changes for the diesel is more. Engine repairs are significantly less expensive for the gasser.

garym1a2
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Having had a 99 Dodge 3500 24V motor I have to disagree on this. 3 Injection (VP44) pumps, 4 lift pumps and crapppy wireing and dash boards. (310K miles). Funny thing is they claim the Dodge Auto tranny was crummy yet this one is still OEM orginal.
I would not get another Dodge.
Funny thing is both of these guys used to own ford diesels and will cuss the things till they die. But both will admit that the dodge deisels are good rigs.

geargnasher
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I find it interesting sometimes to hear how popular opinion about certain products is formed.

The VP44 is in fact just about indestructable unless Bubba happens to it (driveway hotrod job), or you starve it for supply pressure. Most of them die because the transfer pump goes teats-up and you keep driving it just thinking you got a load of bad fuel or something. Even a few miles can kill the injection pump with no supply pressure. Even to this day with the 6.7L Common Rail Dodge transfer pumps are junk, and they've tried all kinds of configurations from in-tank to behind the fuel filter/heater module housing, and factory retrofit kits for the old 24-valve pump/line/nozzle engines. If you have a Dodge with a Cummins engine, scrap the factory fuel supply system and put an Air Dog fuel supply system on it with interior fuel supply pressure gauge, problem solved, and the Air Dog costs 1/4 what a new VP44 does.

Price a diesel 3/4-ton 4x4 Dodge, Ford, or Chevy made since 1998, the Dodge was new and still is the cheapest truck, because it's a pile of junk with good axles and a million-dollar engine stuck in it. The transmissions (47RE) put in these trucks are nothing more than a 727 Torqueflite with an overdrive unit hung on the back of it and an auxillary valve body, they are the equivalent of a GM 700-R4, a PASSENGER CAR tranny. They put them in trucks because developing a whole new auto tranny just to handle the Cummins powerplant was more expensive than the warranty claims on 47RE were for the entire production period of this combination. The engineers at Cummins merely turned down the horsepower on auto-bound 24-valve engines, except for the few auto/HO combinations that slipped through and helped make the transmission's reputation what it is. The tranny would, in truth, stand about all a 5.9L could deliver IF the owner never towed or hammered-down in overdrive. This is coming from a former Diamond-Certified Chrysler technician.

Don't get me started on Navistar "engines".....

Since Duramax engines use a different CP3 injection pump than the common-rail Dodge Cummins engines do, they don't require a transfer pump and so have a siphon type fuel system. Problem is, Bubba never changes his fuel filter, so after about 60K miles of running ranch fuel through it, the pump sucks it's brains out and dies. Fortunately, most of the time the SES light will come on due to actual fuel rail pressure being below demanded pressure well before that happens and Bubba might bring it in for service if it's around tax refund time. If not, he's out about $4000 because he was too ignorant/lazy to change a $60 fuel filter every 15,000 miles.

While they are all machines designed and made by humans and parts sourced from the lowest bidder, and thus they all will break sooner or later, I see the vast majority of Cummins and Duramax failures due to ownder mistreatment/neglect, and the majority of Navistar failures due to, simply put, :takinWiz:-poor design forced by extreme EPA mandates for emissions.

Gear

williamwaco
10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I have NO opinion about what pickup you should buy. But I was a banker for 30 years, 20 years ago.

Unless things have changed, buying a two year used vehicle is a very poor choice.
Price one. But don't just get the best price you can. After you negotiate the price, then negotiate the financing and record the payment.

The do the same thing with a new one.

With the new one, you will usually receive:
Larger discount,
Factory incentives,
Larger trade in allowance,
Lower interest rate
Longer loan terms.

The result is that you can usualy buy a brand new one for about the same payment as the used one.

Just one old f . . . s opinion based on personal experience.

Bret4207
10-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Thank you guys for convincing me I want nothing to do with new trucks, diesels o anything like that. I'll live like a bum in my $500.00 trucks thanks.

Larry Gibson
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
geargnasher

Since Duramax engines use a different CP3 injection pump than the common-rail Dodge Cummins engines do, they don't require a transfer pump and so have a siphon type fuel system. Problem is, Bubba never changes his fuel filter, so after about 60K miles of running ranch fuel through it, the pump sucks it's brains out and dies. Fortunately, most of the time the SES light will come on due to actual fuel rail pressure being below demanded pressure well before that happens and Bubba might bring it in for service if it's around tax refund time. If not, he's out about $4000 because he was too ignorant/lazy to change a $60 fuel filter every 15,000 miles.

Don't know about the older duramax but on mine ("09) and newer ones the computer shuts about 75% of the engines power down when the filter needs changing. Bubba will definately know that when it happens and will need to do something about it. The notice to change the filter displays pronemtly on the dash. Also it's very easy to track oil life and fuel filter life with the computer's DIC (no pun there, that's what its called).

Larry Gibson

Gussy
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I've had 2 diesels...no more. Better mileage? yes, usually. That is the ONLY plus I've seen!! I only got the 2nd one because a friend owned it, had very low miles and no hard use, price was very right.

Down side:
Upkeep...oil change 2X gas$$$, fuel ++$.30/gal, park in a garage???...STINK when starting a cold engine and it goes through the house, Heavy wt seems to increase "chances" of getting stuck on back country snowy roads (as in winter hunts!! I've driven past stuck diesels in my old gasser!!), harder on drive line U joints, tires.

Never had to do any engine work other than change glow plugs in a '88 ford diesel. Sure didn't want to given cost of components!!

cajun shooter
10-16-2011, 11:15 AM
I have a 2005 GMC Duramax with about 81,000 on it. I have used nothing but the synthetic Diesel oil and fram filters since it was new. I added a custom K&N air intake with filter and a Super chips programmer to it. Set on high performance it will burn the rear tires with out trying. I disconnected the 100MPH limiter with the Super chips and it went to 120 and was still going when I shut it down. Pulling my 33 ft travel trailer it would get 15.5 on Louisiana flat roads and 20 MPH when empty. I also use an additive to my fuel and it made a little over a 1 1/2 difference. It is called Diesel Kleen and may be purchased at Auto Zone, Walmart and other automotive supplies. Look it up on the net and see. I thought it was just another snake oil but my speedometer tells the truth. My biggest problem is keeping my right foot in a nice steady position or use cruise. My truck came loaded to the gills with heated leather seats that adjusted several ways including lumbar. I don't know which model the guy has that kills his back but mine rides like a high dollar auto that happens to have heavy springs. My rear gear is 3:73 and works just right with the locking differential.
Gussy, I have much respect for you and believe what you say. I have pulled two trucks chained together from a mud bank and hardley spun a tire as a modified diesel puts out as much torque as three gas engines.

rockrat
10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
cajun shooter, don't know about the fram diesel filters, but I have cut apart filters from fram, honda, purolater, napa gold, wal-marts brand, champion and every other one I could find that fit my Honda Valkyrie motorcycle. It looked like the Fram had the least amount of cleaning surface and to me , was the cheapest appearing, of the lot. The OEM and purolater were top notch , with the NAPA maybe a point or two under followed by the wal-mart of all filters.

I stopped running Fram in any vehicle I owned from that moment on. Its OEM, purolater or NAPA gold for me. I run Napa gold in most all my vehicles as nobody around here carries purolater. When I am on a trip I will pick up some if I remember to get some.

Cariboo
10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
I have about 165,000 miles on my 04 1/2 dually, had the DIC replaced at around 150,000 miles, had a “harness problem “fixed it with an ice pick.
You may want to go to www.dieselplace.com/ lots of good info.
I can drive for 9-10 hours and not be beat. Mileage around here (lots of hills 7-11% not uncommon) about 15mpg, the prairies was around 21mpg keep it at or under 2000rpm or it drops.
A mechanic friend that works for one of the mines (where they drive it like they stole it) claims the Ford has the most down time and the Dodge has the least. The Chevy does beat out the Dodge when not in heavy 4x4 use and has the best ride.
My fuel cost is about 60% of my old ½ ton gas engine and I go the speed limit with a ton or so in the box up hills.
Yes I like my DMax it serves my needs.

Cariboo
10-16-2011, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Gussy;1428304] Heavy wt seems to increase "chances" of getting stuck on back country snowy roads (as in winter hunts!! I've driven past stuck diesels in my old gasser!!), harder on drive line U joints, tires.QUOTE]

Too many people in the southern part of BC and futher south have not learned the value of good winter tires. With the 4x4 the extra wt forward seems to help, with 2wd the extra wt is a differt matter.

As to harder on tires, the only differance I have found is I am running 6 on my truck and not 4. So a set seems to go the same distance although I tend to pack larger loads.

Just my $0.02 worth

Recluse
10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
When I mean expensive, a CP3 injection pump is about four grand installed, and injectors are about $700 each and are very labor-intensive to change. With any modern light truck diesel, when you open the hood for diagnosis and repair, you throw THOUSAND-DOLLAR BILLS at it, not $100 bills like you would have ten years ago. The biggest problem for owners of light diesels made in the last 5-8 years is that they have no idea how important maintenance really is for these low-emissions trucks, and really have no concept of how expensive engine repairs typically are for them. If you don't have to have a diesel for heavy towing, take my advice and buy your Chevy with a gasoline engine.

Gear

I bought my daughter a Ford F350 Super Duty rig to pull around her horse trailer. That truck would pull anything and do anything even with a sixteen-year-old driving it.

BUT. . . we had more little nickel & dime issues with that thing that weren't nickel & dime. Everytime it saw the shop, I saw a minimum of a $1000 bill. It was virtually impossible for me to work on and I've been turning wrenches under one shade tree or another since I was ten-years-old.

I'm with you Gear--unless you NEED a diesel, there is no way in Hades I'll spend the money on one plus the increased fuel costs plus the increased maintenance and service costs.

Gimme that Chevy 454 V8 any day.

:coffee:

Recluse
10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I have NO opinion about what pickup you should buy. But I was a banker for 30 years, 20 years ago.

Unless things have changed, buying a two year used vehicle is a very poor choice.
Price one. But don't just get the best price you can. After you negotiate the price, then negotiate the financing and record the payment.

The do the same thing with a new one.

With the new one, you will usually receive:
Larger discount,
Factory incentives,
Larger trade in allowance,
Lower interest rate
Longer loan terms.

The result is that you can usualy buy a brand new one for about the same payment as the used one.

Just one old f . . . s opinion based on personal experience.

That would be true if you're deadset on financing the majority of the purchase.

My daddy taught me almost forty years ago to "keep making car payments, even after the car is paid off."

What he meant was to keep making payments to yourself into your bank account.

We've been doing that since my Air Force days and to date, any vehicle we've had to finance has taken us less than a year to pay off and that is with some pretty dang low payments.

I've paid cash for the last two new cars I've bought my wife--came straight out of the "car payment savings account."

Too many people don't worry about the overall price, instead they only want to know "What will my monthly payment be?" No better way to get upside down in financing than with that attitude.

uscra112
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I wish.

My buddy has 2 of them. One with 75k and no problems on either. Hard to beat Isuzu.

Sorry to be so contrary, but I had extensive dealings with that GM/Isuzu engine plant when I was still supplying critical process control equipment to the Big 3. (Retired 3 years ago.) My nickel's worth is I wouldn't use one for a boat anchor. That plant was built by a Japanese-owned "trading company" that had no engineering experience whatsoever, (let alone automotive). They bought only the cheapest possible equipment, defying all the recommendations we or the GM process control engineers could make. Some of the GM guys I worked with despaired of ever getting that plant to work properly.

The best small diesels made in the USA today come from Cummins.

cajun shooter
10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
How in the world you can compare a motorcycle engine oil filter to that of one built for a diesel motor is plum crazy. You are comparing a 22LR to a 50 caliber Browning.
I have by chance ridden since Harley's since 1964 and at one time could pull the outer primary and clean the oil that was all over the clutch plates which were designed to be run dry. The Harley motor of today has come a long way. I used nothing but fram on it also and at a 75,000 mile tear down for the addition of high performance parts. I found that the stock factory parts looked and checked out to darn near factory parts. The machinist could not believe it. The other half was using the best grade of oil that was made for it . Today's motorcycle motors for the most part run at 8 or 9 -1 compression and a Diesel is at 19 to 22-1. Big difference on the stress of all parts sir and not a comparison. I am 64 and have used the top oils and the top Fram filters all my life and never had to pay the man. The Tuff Guard is my filter of choice. I started to not answer you at all as the OP was about the Duramax and here is a guy that decides he wants to talk about motorcycles but being it was a put down on my posting I decided to go off op. To the others of the thread I apologize.

PatMarlin
10-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Reasons above are why I keep my 6.2L GMC and 6.5L Chevy. $100 injectors that screw in with my socket wrench. Replaced the engine on my 6.2 and it's as easy as a 350 V8 replacement job.

I need a diesel to pull my boat and trailers. Can't beat the low end torque for breaking safety in these mountains. I hardly ever break.

I've got a GearVendor Over/Under drive on both trucks. 18-19 mpg on the 6.5L 4x4 mountain driving, but it is low (not lifted) and I have a metal roll top over the bead.

williamwaco
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
That would be true if you're deadset on financing the majority of the purchase.

My daddy taught me almost forty years ago to "keep making car payments, even after the car is paid off."

What he meant was to keep making payments to yourself into your bank account.

We've been doing that since my Air Force days and to date, any vehicle we've had to finance has taken us less than a year to pay off and that is with some pretty dang low payments.

I've paid cash for the last two new cars I've bought my wife--came straight out of the "car payment savings account."

Too many people don't worry about the overall price, instead they only want to know "What will my monthly payment be?" No better way to get upside down in financing than with that attitude.

That is an excellent practice, I have been doing that since about 1965. Now I drive so much less that a new car will last me seven
or eight years. I never have to finance them anymore.

rockrat
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Sorry Cajun shooter if I Pi@#ed you off. Just trying to inform people as to filter contruction. I guess I could take apart a regular car filter of different brands and report on its contstruction, but then I am sure it would also set you off as it wasn't a "diesel" filter.

Take the info I supplied however you want. I will use what I consider to be a bettter filter and you can use what you want. Its your engine.

Haven't been riding Harleys near as long. I prefer to use the Harley filter with its 5 micron rating vs. others 10 micron ratings, but I am sure you already knew that. :)

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 06:19 AM
With absolutely no intention to be insulting, can I ask how some of you justify the apparent tens of thousands of dollars on buying a new truck? I was just talking with a neighbor farmer about this yesterday. It's none of my business, but I can't wrap my head around buying a $50-70K truck or car every few years unless I had a business that needed it. So, with respect to you all, how do you justify the cost of something like that? Mind you, the last new car I bought cost under $14K, I can't fathom the idea of $50K.

rockrat
10-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Kind of chokes me to pay that too. I think vehicles are getting to the point where few will be able to afford a new one. Probably thats why I see financing going from 3 years to 6-7 years, to keep payments in line with what the 3 years payments used to be.

Mine was for business, back when I bought it. Nowadays, with my work, it would be a used one, can't afford the new ones anymore. They cost more than my house did back in the early '80's

oneokie
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
With absolutely no intention to be insulting, can I ask how some of you justify the apparent tens of thousands of dollars on buying a new truck? I was just talking with a neighbor farmer about this yesterday. It's none of my business, but I can't wrap my head around buying a $50-70K truck or car every few years unless I had a business that needed it. So, with respect to you all, how do you justify the cost of something like that? Mind you, the last new car I bought cost under $14K, I can't fathom the idea of $50K.

My 2¢

Could be a tax thing. Depreciation.

Could be an image thing, gotta look good.

Could be a penny pincher thing. Don't pay anyone to do something that you can do yourself, da** the cost.

I can say those things as I am a farmer. BTDT, got the tshirt.

Triggerhappy
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Could be a got to haul hay thing. Pull a horse trailer thing.

oneokie
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/oneokie/100_0439.jpg
Not something SWMBO likes to drive or ride in. Nor something to haul a new baby in.:drinks:

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I pull a 14' steel stock trailer and haul hay with a 97 F150 with the 281 V-8 with no probs. Pulled a tandem trailer with 100-150 bales for well over 100 miles each way for several years with a 4 cylinder '91 Toyota in the mountains. So while I understand it'd be nice to have a heavier truck, why a brand new high dollar job when there are far less expensive alternatives? I mean, if someone want s to simply say, " Because I WANT it.", fine. I guess I'm wondering how folks justify things in their minds. Okies old Chevy seems to do fine.

Triggerhappy
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Put it this way, I'm still driving my 1985 Ford 250 diesel with over 500K on it. It's simply time for a new truck. Boss says I can't put a baby in my truck.... Only other vehicle I have at this time is a 79' Jeep, also not conducive to a mini-me until he gets older.

Duckiller
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Bret current truck is a 2001 GMC with 185,000 miles on it that meeds $1000.00 worth of repairs. Could use another $2000.00 worth of repairs. Wife and I are going to Alaska next summer for the summer. I don't want to break down on the road. We are in the process of buying a 2006 3/4 ton Duramax with 55000 miles on it. will be used to pull a 30 foot travel trailer. Cost is $30,000.00 This will probably be the last pick up I will buy. Wife and I make trips from Cal to Mich. and we want a reliable vehicle. I wouldn't have spent as much, or gotten a newer truck if we were going to stay close to home.

Bret4207
10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Put it this way, I'm still driving my 1985 Ford 250 diesel with over 500K on it. It's simply time for a new truck. Boss says I can't put a baby in my truck.... Only other vehicle I have at this time is a 79' Jeep, also not conducive to a mini-me until he gets older.

When SWMBO says get a different truck, yeah I get it. (BTW- the Jeep is great once they are out of the car seat stage.) What I'm getting at is why do guys spend a gazillion bucks on a new, leather guy, diesel, 4wd, top of the line $50k+ truck when there are lots of used options in the under $20K, or even $10K area? Again, I mean no insult and it's none of my business how anyone else spends their bucks. I'm just trying to understand the thought process.

In my mind, into days economy, with the future looking as risky and bleak as it does, I'd be cutting my expenses, not adding to them. Just trying to get a handle on how others think.

Bret4207
10-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Bret current truck is a 2001 GMC with 185,000 miles on it that meeds $1000.00 worth of repairs. Could use another $2000.00 worth of repairs. Wife and I are going to Alaska next summer for the summer. I don't want to break down on the road. We are in the process of buying a 2006 3/4 ton Duramax with 55000 miles on it. will be used to pull a 30 foot travel trailer. Cost is $30,000.00 This will probably be the last pick up I will buy. Wife and I make trips from Cal to Mich. and we want a reliable vehicle. I wouldn't have spent as much, or gotten a newer truck if we were going to stay close to home.

Okay, I can see what you mean, But what make you think the newer is going to be any more reliable than the older you could repair of 10% for the cost of the newer? Unfortunately todays Americans trucks aren't Toyotas of the early 90's that go forever with no repair. If rust is an issue or the things is a lemon or the engine/tranny is worn to the point of needed a replacement then I get it.

PatMarlin
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
My buddy bought a 2006 or so Chevy gas pickup as his older ones needed trans. etc,. Within 6 months the rear end was gone, $800 fuel system and pump and a few other pricey issues. On top of payments of course. The newer truck parts are crazy expensive. Got to live with any truck for awhile to see where it will shake out, specially for a long trip.

Over the past 22 years, I've bought 2 trucks -both over 100K on them and just planned on a tranny and engine change at some point. But I drive less than 10k a year.

My wife's Toyota engine finally died after 300k plus miles. So I bought her a 2002 Tacoma and it was nothing but trouble. Sold it, put another engine in her old one, and she's been happy ever since.

I would love to drive a newer Duramax, but I'm a long, long way from being able to buy one. If you got the money and income, then why not?

Bret4207
10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I know, why not? Like I said, none of my business, just trying to understand folks.

cajun shooter
10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Bret, It all comes down to life style and your ability to purchase something. I grew up buying cars that were 15 years or older and with at least 75.000 miles on the odometer. It was a toss up on if they would start or not. Went to take my grandfather on a 1000 mile trip to visit family graves. Car broke down and we had to ride a Greyhound home.
I love saltwater fishing but never had a vehicle that would pull the boat needed.
I finally reached a point in my life where I could purchase a gas 3/4 ton Chevrolet. It pulled my boat and got 6 miles to the gallon. The strain on the transmission was so bad that the thing went belly up after 6,000 miles. The rear axle went just a few months later. The total repair was at $6000 dollars and I could not take any more. I found my 2005 GMC Duramax with just 16,000 miles for $38,000 and it has been worth every penny. I have pulled travel trailers, boats, and flatbed trailers with equipment. Not one thing has been done other than regular maintenance.
I have a very bad back with a inplanted pain pump. This truck has all leather heated seats that also adjust several area's including the lumbar and is worth every dime it cost.
Bret I have over the years read and agreed with many of your postings but I don't understand your stand on this vehicle engine and price. If you eat beef, ask any of our farmers how much it cost to purchase the farming equipment to grow the feed. If it was not for huge Diesel motors this country would shut down. I get 20 mph with my diesel. Have your local grocery have his goods delivered by a VOLT. Diesel engines are a better fuel that gas in many ways. Most of todays motors will go for 300,000 or more miles without work.

Bret4207
10-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Cajun, it's not the diesel. It's the sheer amount of money for a TRUCK. Look, do what you want and be happy. I'm just trying to puzzle it out.

ss40_70
10-21-2011, 09:39 PM
im with you on this bret , i just cant fathom spending 30,000 plus on a used truck ,.. as far as repairing my old beater this is how i see things .. a decent truck payment is going to be at least 500 bucks a month .. so if mine breaks and its going to cost 1000 to fix it and i think itll still last better then 2 months i fix it .. if it gets me 3 more months i think im money ahead .... and this whole horspower for pulling thing .. yea the powers nice but its not needed .. dont abuse your equipment itll last longer .. no you may not get there as fast but you will get there ...

pmer
10-21-2011, 10:55 PM
My work truck is a 2008 F250 diesel, it has about 115,000 miles on it. It has been towed in twice due to emission system troubles. This version has the exhaust filter and it ocassionally cleans it self out. It gets 16 MPG and the boss says to use fuel additives to help keep things clean, along with regular maintainence. If I don't floor it every once in a while the emission system acts up.

It's hard for me to get my arms around the use of exhaust fluid for the new diesel emission systems. I wish the enviormentalists would stop picking on diesels.

My farm truck is 87 F250 diesel and I pull a goose neck trailer with up to 9000 or 10,000 lbs of pulling tractors on it. That old truck works like a dog and gets 10-12 MPG. It was pretty used up when I got for $4500. Manual transmission. I replaced the U joints and all the fluids before I started working it.

I know this is a newer Chevy thread but I would look for a low mile 7.3 power stroke with a manual tranny for pulling chores. Cheaper to fix and a less complicated emission system. It's too bad these trucks are getting old now too.

Bret4207
10-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Well, at least a couple guys here get it from my perspective. Again, spend all the money you want on whatever toy spins yer prop. I'm jut trying to get a handle on the "why?"

cajun shooter
10-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Bret, Like I said before I respect your ideas most of the time. Why don't you do all of us a favor and tell them folks that puts those $30,000 dollar trucks together that we need a break. Contrary to your belief I understand fully what you have to say but as I said earlier it's the times we are living in.
Who would have known that a truck used for family type of chores would cost the same as a home once sold for. I remember sitting in our home in 1959 and listening to my parents how they were going to pay for a house that cost $21,000. I saw gasoline for .15 a gallon and my Dad said it was a gas war. I had two paper routes that I threw and I made $5.00 a week. That was great because a new pair of Levi's were $4.12 with tax in downtown Baton Rouge. My wife and I just closed our business after she had over 20 years in it. She is a Home designer(BLUE PRINTS) We see the 1 million dollar homes being built and sold but that is above our customer of $200,000 I looked all over a three state area after Katrina hit for a used 3/4 ton with Diesel and the going price was over $20,000 for one with 100,000 miles on the odometer.
Don't believe me, search the paper ads for that time and see what you find. I said if I'm going to buy a truck and pay notes on it,then I will be the one putting the miles also. I think it's plum crazy to pay that much for a used truck. I do understand your point but the local has a lot to do with the math also. Later David

PatMarlin
10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Everyone according to their needs. We all need a truck. I figure about $1000 a year in truck cost (not including insurance) no matter what. That has covered me, but only cause I do the work. I don't enjoy working on rigs like I used to.

My ABS idiot light stays on, and I stopped in the dealer to see what it would cost to diagnose it. They said about $150 bucks.

Pulling out I saw this beautiful new white GMC 3/4 ton double cab 4x4 Duramax on the lot. Didn't even bother to look at the sticker. Made me feel like Fred G. Sanford ...:mrgreen:

Bret4207
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Bret, Like I said before I respect your ideas most of the time. Why don't you do all of us a favor and tell them folks that puts those $30,000 dollar trucks together that we need a break. Contrary to your belief I understand fully what you have to say but as I said earlier it's the times we are living in.
Who would have known that a truck used for family type of chores would cost the same as a home once sold for. I remember sitting in our home in 1959 and listening to my parents how they were going to pay for a house that cost $21,000. I saw gasoline for .15 a gallon and my Dad said it was a gas war. I had two paper routes that I threw and I made $5.00 a week. That was great because a new pair of Levi's were $4.12 with tax in downtown Baton Rouge. My wife and I just closed our business after she had over 20 years in it. She is a Home designer(BLUE PRINTS) We see the 1 million dollar homes being built and sold but that is above our customer of $200,000 I looked all over a three state area after Katrina hit for a used 3/4 ton with Diesel and the going price was over $20,000 for one with 100,000 miles on the odometer.
Don't believe me, search the paper ads for that time and see what you find. I said if I'm going to buy a truck and pay notes on it,then I will be the one putting the miles also. I think it's plum crazy to pay that much for a used truck. I do understand your point but the local has a lot to do with the math also. Later David

Sorry, but that was what? 4-5 years back? That's not today in a disaster area. I've been looking at Craigs List pretty regular and 1/2 or 3/4 ton, even 1 ton trucks, gas or diesel, in good shape, often with well under 100K, are available for less than $10K. One that caught my eye was an '83 3/4 ton, 4wd, 6 cylinder Chevy with 60K original miles and no rust for $4200.00. A 94 2wd 4dr 305 Chev, 100K, no rust, $2800.00. An 86 (IIRC) 'Burb Diesel with 30K- $5500.00. There are any number of 1 ton 4wd diesels for less than $10K, often with dump boxes or beds. Sheesh! It 's not the point anyway!

Look, if you want to spend your money on snazzy, fine, that's great, why not just say so? It's a status symbol. I get it. I was looking for an answer that made sense to me. I think it simply comes down to "I want it!" and that's okay, it's good enough for me. I just thought I was missing something obvious. It's the same reason some people by Freedoms or BFRs instead of Rugers or Performance Center Smiths instead of a used M-19. It's fine, no argument from me. I thought there was some big, obvious secret I was missing entirely. No offense intended, I'm not trying to judge or prove anything, it's just not something I can wrap my head around.

cajun shooter
10-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I thought I could have a sensible talk and each of us look at the others answer but I see that is impossible.
If you are trying to show the rest of us that we are wrong then the CEO for GMC could not give you B&W that would cause you to sway just a bit.
I made one huge mistake when I started to explain the Diesel side. You are quite correct in all your statements and I am headed out Monday to purchase one of those $10,000 Diesels.
I will ask you to please send any pictures and service records of these trucks and if they are Dodge Diesels when was the fuel filter last serviced.
I am so happy that I was able to find someone with your knowledge on Diesel engines and where I may buy them for 1/5 the cost of our local trucks. By the way maybe you did not read all of my posting when I said that my 2005 GMC 3/4 ton Diesel was doing well. That would put it in the Katrina time frame, would it not?
Being that I live only 135 miles from landfall it would give me a fair idea on what we went through. Later David

Bret4207
10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Cajun, I don't know what you're reading, but I said if you want to to that, fine. I'm just trying to understand WHY? Obviously you want something special and can justify that kind of money, I can't wrap my head around that idea. And again, DIESELS are not the issue!