PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of fishing weight?

Patrick L
10-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Yesterday a friend who knows I scrounge lead gave me two lead weights. They are basically round lead (at least it behaves like lead) balls about 3 inches in diameter, encapsulted in a kind of vinyl sheathing. The vinyl part also forms a sort of square projection with a ring molded in. I would say each one weighs about 15 lbs. I told him I would take as many as he could get. He works for a state agency, and I think it has something to do with the environment or something like that. He seemed really glad to hear that and said "You are single handedly going to help us clean the bottom of Lake_______(didn't catch the name.)

Any ideas what they are? I'd post pics but am having computer issues right now.

zuke
10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Their downrigger sinker's made up from all type's of lead.
Get as many as you can at that price,and give him some loaded ammo as a thank you gift!

Sonnypie
10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Sounds like downrigger weights to me.

Kinda like any of THESE? (http://www.cabelas.com/downrigger-weights.shtml)

Bad Water Bill
10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I do not think they are fishing weights. You will not be able to cast one unless your name is Paul Bunyon. They might have been used as some kind of anchor for very large nets or canoes. 15# is a bit much unless you are on a large charter boat on very deep water.

mrbillbus
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I do not think they are fishing weights. You will not be able to cast one unless your name is Paul Bunyon. They might have been used as some kind of anchor for very large nets or canoes. 15# is a bit much unless you are on a large charter boat on very deep water.

I'm voting for downrigger gear too. I am going to guess that they were from charter boats. His location is upstate NY which couild put him near Lake Ontario. When you want your lure 100 plus feet down it takes some serious weight to keep them there while the boat is underway.

mrbillbus
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Yesterday a friend who knows I scrounge lead gave me two lead weights. They are basically round lead (at least it behaves like lead) balls about 3 inches in diameter, encapsulted in a kind of vinyl sheathing. The vinyl part also forms a sort of square projection with a ring molded in. I would say each one weighs about 15 lbs. I told him I would take as many as he could get. He works for a state agency, and I think it has something to do with the environment or something like that. He seemed really glad to hear that and said "You are single handedly going to help us clean the bottom of Lake_______(didn't catch the name.)

Any ideas what they are? I'd post pics but am having computer issues right now.

I would test them before throwing theminto your regular mix. Many of them are very shiney even after must exposure and age. Too much risk for zinc to not rule it out first.

Recently, I had a tip on downrigger weights on sale at Gander Mountain. Yep, zinc. They stayed right where they were so a fisherman could reap the clearance deal.

Bill