PDA

View Full Version : Old gas check maker question

wolfe28
10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I just picked up a "mallet" style gas check maker (one you need a mallet to make the check with), and I'm trying to figure a few things out. It is for 35 caliber gas checks, and I know I need to get a punch to cut the check material out to make said checks. Anyone know what size punch I need, and where I should look to get one?

Thanks,
D

RU shooter
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I just picked up a "mallet" style gas check maker (one you need a mallet to make the check with), and I'm trying to figure a few things out. It is for 35 caliber gas checks, and I know I need to get a punch to cut the check material out to make said checks. Anyone know what size punch I need, and where I should look to get one?

Thanks,
D
You need to measure the die(female part of the chex maker) it has two ID diameters.The bigger end you place the blank(disk) That is the size your shooting for. The tool for cutting that disk was probably a modified hole punch. You can check places like McMaster Carr They have a good selection of hole punches. If you cant find one that exact size get the next smaller size and hone it out.

tjones
10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hole-forming-punches/=ej6q0m
Size 16

wolfe28
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Perfect, thanks.

D