PDA

View Full Version : Attacking Bear doesn't care for Cabelas

PatMarlin
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/544

AzShooter
02-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Pretty poor hunting, not being able to spot the cub. I thought it was against the law to shoot a cow with cubs. But I could be wrong.

Larry Gibson
02-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Looks like they were focussed on the boar and shot him. Then the sow with cub came into view and charged them. Looks like they did about all they could do to not shoot her shouting, waving and yeling. As stated she was coming on like a frieght train, at 8 yards I wouldn't have waited for "pepperspray" range either. Seems she wasn't going to turn. Shame but it happens.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Guys, just a clue for those who don't live in bear country. Bear spray only works some of the time. Wind wrong? You just sprayed yourself. Spray a griz? Some think it is a side dish. Doesn't necessarily bother them at all, just makes them mad. Just what you need.
Bear bells? A gimmick to sell a thirty dollar stick to the tourists. A stick, by the way, you could pick up from any forest floor, and tie your own 50 cent bell to it, that acts as a dinner bell to the bears.
Carry a damn gun. Keep it concealed in public parks, but carry one.

AzShooter
02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
I thought bear spray was just so you could tenderize yourself for when the bear eats you.

Larry Gibson
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I thought bear spray was just so you could tenderize yourself for when the bear eats you.

I always though "pepperspray" was two or more unaimed shots at the bear........

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
The "training" we received is that bear spray works better than a gun because a gun shot will not stop a charging bear. It generally will kill it after it gets to you. It was obvious our "trainers" [wildlife biologist] had not seen this video. One constant to know is that a charging bear will not detour if you use pepper spray. It will continue to charge in it's line so if you do depend on spray, you need to move laterally after you hit the bear with spray hoping on the blinding, tearing effects to get you out of the bears focus. A gun where you can not get at is is no good either. I carry visible spray and 5, 250 gr rounds or 6, 300+ gr rounds where they can be accessed quickly. Not necessarily as fast as spray but hopefully before the killing jaw crush. Roll over and play dead has never been a part of my personality and I can't forsee enough training to instill it now. Gianni.

RugerFan
02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
That will definitely raise your pucker factor. Back in 1991 I was on a float hunt with two friends in Alaska. One morning we had a sow grizzly and her 2 cubs chase us out of camp 3 times while they picked over our caribou meat. In between chasings we packed up furiously, so as to get back on the river and leave her AO. Fortunately we didn’t have to shoot. Once we moved out of camp, the sow was content to focus on the free meal. Waving and shouting always scared off one of the cubs, but mama wasn’t remotely fazed. Made for an exciting day.

gregg
02-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Looks like they were focussed on the boar and shot him. Then the sow with cub came into view and charged them. Looks like they did about all they could do to not shoot her shouting, waving and yeling. As stated she was coming on like a frieght train, at 8 yards I wouldn't have waited for "pepperspray" range either. Seems she wasn't going to turn. Shame but it happens.

Larry Gibson

Was suprized that a head on big bore shot length wise would not have a
heck of alot of knock down efect? Did not play out that way on the video?