PDA

View Full Version : Not hard enough??

charger 1
02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Got the 400 grainers flying 2350 out of the 450 ak, but only holding an inch at 60 yds with the odd flyer out to 1.5. I'm thinkin that cause they were just water dropped,a good heat treating up to 30+ BN may help that a tad. Opinions,thoughts?

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2007, 07:00 AM
guess i have to ask why you would want to push a cast bullet for a big gun that fast anyway. Your asking for bullet failure using any alloy if that bullet has to break any bone. About the only bullets i would trust to hunt out of that gun at those speeds are the punch bullets kelly slehp sells at belt mountain. We pentration tested them and you could reload them and use them over. As a matter of fact we even did that. We had a good lesson with a 50 alaskan and bullet perfomance and found that even cast hard your asking for trouble if your going after anything big going much over 1600 fps. Your better off pushing a big 500 or 540 slower then trying to push that 400 that fast. Youll find youll be better pentration better accuracy and probably less recoil.

charger 1
02-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I understand what your saying Lloyd. Its a 450. Typically going to be used for thin skinned,whitetail etc. I just want it to shoot flat enough that it will be the pick up and go gun. When we see deer here we dont get thinkin time. Its a 30 yd snap or if its 200 its crossing a beaver dam in two seconds. I like the 45 cal but to get all those distances covered without thought,just point and click. Plus I take a few other factors in. First there thin skinned, secondly if its 30 yds and I nail him in a bone he's still goin down. Hell near muzzle blast at that distance kills. If he's out 200 that bullet is doing way short of 2300 by then..I guess in short,I'm asking/thinking that the extra hardness with that speed should tighten a group,right? If I want to go west for DG some day, cast barrel gets a swabbing and the 400 -450 condoms go in

44man
02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
I think it would work. Heck, an inch at 60 at that speed sounds great too.

StrawHat
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
If a flatter trajectory is the goal, how about the Gould HP? Not too tough to cast and it can be loaded to fly flat.

It works in my 45-70 and used to work in a 45-90 Belted Express.

Wish someone would copy it in 40 caliber for the 405 WCF.

Just a thought.

Have to agree that the current grouping sounds pretty good!

Bass Ackward
02-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Got the 400 grainers flying 2350 out of the 450 ak, but only holding an inch at 60 yds with the odd flyer out to 1.5. I'm thinkin that cause they were just water dropped,a good heat treating up to 30+ BN may help that a tad. Opinions,thoughts?

I even tried pure babbit with copper at 38 BHN. Lube still caused me flier problems no matter how I tried to compensate with powders primers etc for a cold first shot. I even built a new rifle with .007 tall rifling and slowed to 20 twist to try and maintain bullet control. Nope, I .... had .... to .... change bullet design to eradicate the lube. And still 1 1/2" @ 100 is about as well as I can do consistently below zero degrees. But I don't have the wild fliers anymore on the first shots. And they do go wild. That 1.5 inch flier you have at 60 yards will be 12" or more at 200. :grin:

Why I used to be working on a 1"er and then kick up dirt 4 feet to the left. Above 50 degrees, using ACWW, I can just cut holes at 100 with olgivals at 2100-2300 fps all day. 3/4" is a bad day.

But I don't want to be Mr Negativity here. Try it and see what happens. :grin: Let us know if you beat it.

If it helps, people used to think that what I was experiencing was just my imagination. That is probably coming for you too. :grin:

Larry Gibson
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Having pushed 400 gr cast that fast in the Siamese Mauser 450-400-70 I would suggest the accuracy is fine and the cause of the "odd flyer out to 1.5" is caused by flinch or by shoulder tensing due to anticipation of the shot. Unless you have an extremely heavy rifle the recoil is substantial from the bench and is accumulative. This is especially so when shooting groups of more than 3 shots without a rest between groups. Been there, done that and have the cloth pattern of the T-shirt permenantly embossed on the shoulder.

Larry Gibson

carpetman
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Add some ******.

jhalcott
02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
****** wont work,it just makes the lube gritty! My Siamese mauser weighs 15 pounds. Recoil with 405's at 2250 is VERY annoying. I generally shoot softer mixes at less velocity. I shoot for pleasure now.

jhalcott
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
What ELSE could cause a flyer?? Poor bullet pull ,bad bullet, powder, primer combination. Must be some others>

felix
02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Depends on the size of the boolit. In the smaller ones (diameter), an air bubble(s) in the wrong place (towards the outside of the boolit) is the greatest problem of all when all boolits weigh the same and are trully round. ... felix

charger 1
02-07-2007, 05:44 AM
Depends on the size of the boolit. In the smaller ones (diameter), an air bubble(s) in the wrong place (towards the outside of the boolit) is the greatest problem of all when all boolits weigh the same and are trully round. ... felix

YES
and I am getting that. Since I tried that foundry type I have black frckles in my boolits. No matter how I clean the pot. No matter which mold...I'd love to know where the hell it is