PDA

View Full Version : Case micrometer

OlManDow
10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Not going to mention brand name here, but if you depend on a case micrometer to adjust your loads for headspace (for example, using shims or the Redding competition shell holder set), you might want to get a GO headspace gauge to check it, or have your gunsmith do so. I have found they frequently zero incorrectly.

When I find them off several thousandths, I scribe a new zero line on the body.
Why have a tool calibrated to .001"if its only precise to .005"?

Casting Timmy
10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
You can also use/ mark a fired case and then let that be your zero. Then why you set up, just remember the amount you want to bump the shoulder back. I don't have any of the measurement tools, but this could help you save a little.

Doc Highwall
10-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I have used the RCBS ones but when Stony Point came out with theirs I quickly switch over to it and they are now sold by Hornady.

When I am setting up a new dies for a rifle I measure (10) cases that have been fired in it taking the average along with taking note of any on the long side.

The next time the cases are fired I double check the fired head space again just to be sure I am sizing them as little as needed because the cases do not always fit the chamber after the first firing especially with reduced loads.

Larry Gibson
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
+1 on the way Doc does it, same as I do.

Larry Gibson

Hip's Ax
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I use the Stoney Point (now Hornady) as well.