PDA

View Full Version : Why are these guns so additive?

Ivantherussian03
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Why, do i want to shoot more, and not less? How come a k98 mauser and 2 k31's are not enough for me? I am only one guy. I can only shoot one at time. Now I want a couple Mosin nagants and definately some Swedish mausers; I figure I need two of each. How come when I am not shooting, I think about shooting.

Is it the sense of control in my life I feel when I squeeze that trigger, and feel the recoil. Or is the process of loading and reloading the cartridges. Maybe it is when I check the target out and make judgements of my skills, or the next step in developmenting the shooting potential of a rifle.:roll:

Maybe I should stop asking why, and just give in.:Fire: There are worse addictions right?

And shooting is definately cheaper thatn counciling:Fire:

garandsrus
02-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Ivan,

The Swedish Mausers are really nice! The 6.5mm caliber was years ahead of it's time. I have a CG-63 and a M38. I also have a K31 and a MN. Then there are the Garands and 03A3's, M1 Carbines, and on and on...

I don't shoot the MN much at all. It has been sporterized with a synthetic stock.

John

mike in co
02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
'cause they are inexpensive and they shoot( often better than current expensive hunting rifles)

mike in co

Rando
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I was going to highly recommend that Swedish Mauser to you, but now I'm afraid I'll just be "me too!-ing" garandsrus. So nevermind. :-D

Four Fingers of Death
02-06-2007, 04:30 PM
What I find funny is the fact that you can lavish hours of care on an old military rifle that you picked up for $100 and ignore a $1500 rifle in your safe.

Halfbreed
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I just picked up a 91/30 last night, all matching serial numbers, my first MN. I cleaned it pretty good today, it appears as if it were never fired. The locking lugs are absolutly untouched, the receiver shows it was re arsenoled in 45', but I mean as clean as anything I have ever seen. I can't wait to take this one to the range. And it is a Century Arms import.
I can see where this can become addictive too.
John

No_1
02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
For me it is about history. These old guns are wonderful "charms" of the past. You could almost say each one (even of the same model) has it's own personality because each and everyone of them has a story. These are arms that our fore-fathers carried to put food on the table and defend their belief. I buy them, clean them and wonder what stories they would tell if they could talk. I shoot them to enjoy the pride the makers put into them when they were built. I will continue to purchase them because I like them and want to preserve the history that they forged for my children. Do I need any other reasons?

Robert

mag_01
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Right on guys--- I have about 30 of them last count and your right about that arsenal refinished 91-30s they almost appear to be new.

twoworms
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Don't get me started on Sweds, M94's M38's and M96's have me up nights cleaning, and loading for them... It's sick I know... :)

Tim

P.S. Now all I need is a good boolit mold...

Buckshot
02-07-2007, 02:27 AM
.............Ah, speak to me of addictive :-) I had an 01 FFl from 1982 until 2001. I have a pretty good supply and was a member in good standing of the gun a month club at Century, RSI, Sarco, Samco Global, Springfield Sporter, etc. Current inventory stands at a bit over 100 of'em.

..................Buckshot

Buckshot
02-07-2007, 02:27 AM
.............Ah, speak to me of addictive :-) I had an 01 FFl from 1982 until 2001. I have a pretty good supply and was a member in good standing of the gun a month club at Century, RSI, Sarco, Samco Global, Springfield Sporter, etc. Current inventory stands at a bit over 100 of'em.

..................Buckshot

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
I forget the total number of rifles I had at one time, but can say I went through a bunch and because my best buddy is an FFL and I help him repair guns and do blueing, he'd order several rifles and I'd get to cherry pick. I think I finally settled around 30 or so sugar plums that are in my safes. I went through them recently, thinking I might sell off any I didn't want or didn't love to shoot. I failed to find a single one I was willing to part with.

You guys need to stop, because it's making me think there might be one or two rifles out there I want to have.

Regards,

Dave

KCSO
02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Buckshot miscounted and had to post twice to get them all in.
I admire the workmanship of these old guns. I currently have a brand new Savage and a 1891 Argentine sitting on the bench The Savage has a poorly fiited plastic stock with a moulding seam up the middle and when you pull down on the sling the forend bends. The Argentine has striped walnut wood with a deep blue and the wood is growed to the metal. This from a cheap military gun more than 100 years old. I have a K31 that shoots under 1" at 100 yards and cost me $90 bucks is it any wonder we are drawn to these gems.

Halfbreed
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
KCSO, I really understand about the differance between the old military rifles and the new ones, but it is not just Savage with the tupperware stocks.
I just recently bought a 91/30 MN. I have not slugged the bbl. yet, or taken pictures either. I seem to be slacking off at the moment somehow.
But in the next few days I will rectify this major injustice!
John

rocklock
02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I must have a cruel streak.

I get heaps o'pleasure when something like my $65 Finn M91 M-N outshoots the new $2500 Ultra-Short-Super-Mega-Hyper-Mag at the next bench...

Uncle Grinch
02-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I must have a cruel streak.

I get heaps o'pleasure when something like my $65 Finn M91 M-N outshoots the new $2500 Ultra-Short-Super-Mega-Hyper-Mag at the next bench...

And the pleasure is even better when they see us shooting cast boolits!! I know it jacks their jaws!

qajaq59
02-17-2007, 08:43 AM
I get heaps o'pleasure when something like my $65 Finn M91 M-N outshoots the new $2500 Ultra-Short-Super-Mega-Hyper-Mag at the next bench...Mean????? Maybe, but it certainly is lots of fun? :)

Phil
02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Most of the older military rifles were made to last a lifetime. I get a lot of enjoyment out of cleaning them up and seeing how well I can make them shoot with modern techniques. Then there is the satisfaction of restoring a completely used up old soldier and returning it to service. If these old rifles could only talk, the stories some of them could tell would leave us speechless. Imagine the history they have seen, the places, people, and things they have witnessed.

Cheers,

Phil

Swede
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Gotta love those Swede's. I have a target and a couple of 96's. Never thought much of the carbines until I looked at one at a gunshow a couple of weeks ago. And now guess what? I think I'm going to have to get one. Should have just picked up that and been done with it.

Crash_Corrigan
03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Cost me $109.95 plus tax and I walked out with a relic from 1924. The stock was greasy and black with oil and whatever. I let it sit for a week in the 110 degree sun here in Las Vegas and turned it over every couple of hours and changed the paper towels I had left under it. You will not believe the stuff that leached out of that old wood. I then cleaned off the remainder with oven cleaner. lightly sanded most of the dings out and restained it with tung oil and rubbed it gently for about a month. The bore was pristine. Totally clean, sharp and not one dark area anywhere. This piece had hardly ever been fired. I found some once fired 30-06 casings cheap ($35 for 500) and ran them thru my 8mm Lee dies and ended up with a very long neck. I cut off 6mm and now I have over 200 8MM cases all marked 30-06 Springfield but they are perfect. I got a pair of single 170 Gr Boolit moulds from lee and I have cast a buncha GC rounds. I load 'em 14 gr of Red Dot and I have a decent plinking rifle that is cheap to shoot and does'nt hurt my shoulder. I sounds kinda funny and weak when compared to the Turkish Full Military surplus rounds but I can hit a 5" steel plate 5 out of 5 at 100 yards all day long if I do my part. I compete in the VMBAR (Vintage Military Bolt Action Rifles) events we have every month but alas I have yet to get any better than 6th out of usually 25 or so shooters. Those guys with the K-31's and Sweeds should have their own class and let us Mauser 98'rs, 03a3's, 303's, Arisaka and Ruskies muddle along with our pieces of history. It is so cool to see some 70 years young guy carrying a Lee Enfield SMLE 303 and outfitted as a Brit ww I soldier yakking with a fully dressed Nazi including SS helmet markings and carrying a Mauser 98K and a Red Hair son of Nippon with Jap uniform and carrying a Arisaka 38 in 6.5mm and all having a great time. We get young and old and lot of guys are starting to see the value of casting their own. I get to use my brass again and again. I am up to 15 loadings of my squib loads but they do move a about 1600 FPS and they are as accurate as the militarysurp stuff that is available around here.
Dan :castmine:

Dale53
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
The exercise of manual skills exhibited in casting, reloading, and shooting are simply therapuetic...

Dale53

Ivantherussian03
03-08-2007, 03:49 AM
you got that right:Fire:

I go to work, have a bad day sometimes:twisted: , and if the weather is good enough I shoot before dark, then:-D

lcg119
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I concur with the others here. These rifles are so addictive simply because they are relatively cheap, yet, a particularly good example, sometimes with a little tweaking (and the right loads)....can do everything an expensive "commercial" rifle can do. I also very much like the robust, "workhorse" nature of such rifles, such as my M48. It is heavy....and built for long service. I like that very much. As well, I very much enjoy the concept of recycling a rifle built for military service...into one to be used for more "peaceful" pursuits.

castalott
03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Don't forget sturdy and simple....Any of the old military boltguns will be 'carrying on' when a commercial will be beat to pieces. In this crazy world of technology, it's a pleasure to see something simple that works....

Four Fingers of Death
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I've said it before, but I tend to lavish a lot more attention on $150 mil sup rifles than I do $1500 fancy ones. I bought home a beautiful No4 Mk2 Lend Lease rifle today. Wife was not well and I didn't have time to clean it (didn't really need it, as it was spotless) but just sprayed a bit of WD40 down the bore, It will keep for a few days. I'll try and give it a clean when I stop for coffee tomorrow morning. The thing is 65 years old, looks as good as new.

PatMarlin
03-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Threads like these are addictive. Now I want one.. :mrgreen:

Ivantherussian03
03-14-2007, 01:24 AM
This statement might provoke controversy.

All though technology moves forward, rifle technology peaked between 50 and 100 years ago, except of course for variations on prevailing themes.

A wise man told me so and ocasional drinking buddy.:drinks:

Shiloh
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
For me its the history, nostagia, and craftsmanship of a different era. Aso wondering where its been, who carried it, where, was it fired in a hostile situation, ect. ect.
All these never to be answered questions.

My '03 Springfield was state-of-the-art when it was built. All the features like magazine cut-offs, ladder sigthts with lots of apertures, the smell of ancient gun grease, and made to last. I love it and love shooting it.

Shiloh

Ricochet
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
All though technology moves forward, rifle technology peaked between 50 and 100 years ago, except of course for variations on prevailing themes.

A wise man told me so and ocasional drinking buddy.:drinks:

It's true. Now they've devolved to funny looking black things.

Ivantherussian03
03-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree with you Shiloh. They are all that, plus just highly functional, and in most cases better made value.

Ivantherussian03
03-15-2007, 02:29 AM
I was watching the Outdoor channel. A version of M1 Garande is being brought out retirement, and teched up, new stock, bipod, new magazine, and other gadgets (range finders and such). They are being used in Afganistan and reaching out to live targets up 1000 yards-pretty amazing.

And if this is true, I believe the 30.06 cartridge is round for that rifle; it too re-enters military service.

hivoltfl
03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I can tell by this thread we all have the "sickness" aint it great!

Rick

BudRow
03-16-2007, 07:43 PM
For me it is all of the things mentioned and one more. Each nation for the most part wanted to exhibit their ingenuity and approach to solving the "most practical" solution to fielding a rifle that was robust, efficient, reliable and economical to produce. They spent millions of dollars on research and experimentation and it was a matter of national pride, they wanted something home grown. So for me, as I have a tool & die background, I am interested in the different mechanical designs they incorporated in the magazines, bolt locking methods, trigger mechanisms etc. Some of which is very ingenious
Best Wishes, Bud

corvette8n
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Ivan:
Get yourself a C&R FFL and have them mailed to your door, Also go to Sams club and buy cases of Ramen noodles, so you will have money to buy more guns.
Don't ask me how I know this.[smilie=1:

When shooting anyone of those WWI or WWII guns I always wonder about the soldier who carried it.

I set up my m1 carbine just like my father carried it in the Phillipines, this thing is one sweet garbage disposal.

TDB9901
03-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Ivan

I believe it is the M-14 they are breaking out of reserve stock, and placing some of them back in service for the extra range and punch in Iraq and Afganistan. It is a derivitive of the venerable M-1 Garand and is of course in 7.62x51 NATO (or .308 Win) not the 30-06 version.

[Here I should state (to posibly avoid an argument)[smilie=1: that while these two cartridges are often considered interchangeable, (7.62x51 vs .308) this may not always be the case due to pressures, and some tolerances.]

But yes there's nothing quite like holding a piece of history in your hands, and wondering what it could tell you if it could talk.

Tom

Ivantherussian03
03-17-2007, 02:44 AM
I just heard M-1 variation, but was not sure on the cartridge. It was stylin set up, and very powerful, and impresive on auto.

45nut
08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Bump for ,,,grins.

A certain satisfaction cannot be gained by a rifle purchased at a "mart" that is available from handling a rifle that has "been there and done that".
Yea, though we may walk thru walmart we do not fondly gaze upon the circular displays as we do when perusing the battle rifles in the true gun shops.

EMC45
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I currently have a M48 Mauser, M38 Mosin, M91 Mosin, K31, and a FR8 .308 Mauser! I like the history behind these guns. They would tell a tale if they could talk! I cast for the FR8 and it is a blast to shoot.:-D It kicks like a 22 and uses 12 gr Unique! I can bust clays at 50 yds if I do my part. Oh yeah I got my C&R FFL03. Haven't bought a gun yet , but have used it for my discounts.