PDA

View Full Version : Electrical SNAFU?

Muddy Creek Sam
10-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Hello,

I put in a circuit today an no work. HELP, Breaker box, two outlets and a switch. Overhead shop lights. From Breaker,
In first outlet box, from Breaker to black to white from switch Black to hot side of outlet, White from breaker to neutral on outlet, second outlet wired straight to other outlet. all grounds connected. tester says Hot reversed. I have no clue what I did wrong.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Sam :D

oneokie
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Are the outlets controlled by the switch? Are the outlets in seperate boxes? Where is the light switch in relation to the outlets?

Make your run from the breaker to the first outlet, pig tail from the main run to the outlet. Use wire nuts to connect the ends of the main run to the pigtails to the outlet. Run to the next outlet, pig tail off to the outlet, continue to the switch. Black to brass, white to silver.

Do you want two runs to the lights or just one? If only one run, connect the black feed to the off postition screw on the switch, continue with the black conductor from the on screw to the fixture/s, use the white/neutral wire to return to the switch box/feed. When the switch is in the off postition, the light fixtures will not have power on either conductor.

ETA If you are in an area where you have to conform to NEC, disregard the 3rd paragraph.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Going to pull outlets in the morning and check that I didn't reverse a wire.

frkelly74
10-08-2011, 09:59 PM
I wish you lived closer, It's a little far for a house call. Sorry

scrapcan
10-08-2011, 10:17 PM
you only need to break the black wire with the switch. black from breaker to one side of switch. out of switch with black wire to black pigtail then on gold screw on outlet, feed line to another pigtail for other outlet. the white is common, should connect only to white, use pigtails. connect grounds throughout.

OneOkie's suggestion of using pigtails off the feed is the way to go.

There are other ways it can be done but the way he says will be the best way.

It sounds like you connected hot to common on the switch. This will work if you code the white as black in a light circuit. Generally this is used with light fixtures and the big problem with it is if you have multiple light fixtures and you lose a light bulb you lose the whole circuit. Using pigtails of the feed will keep that form happening. That is the simple end of things if you need more info there will be help if you ask.

smoked turkey
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Sam, exactly what do you want to do? Sounds like you are wanting to switch both outlets. Or to say it another way, do you want the outlets to be "on" when the switch is on? As in all things there is more than one way to skin the cat. You can probably get several different versions here and most will likely work. We can help if we know what you want to do.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Got it fixed and boy do I feel STUPID, I confused the other outlet and the switch wires. Thought I had made sure of which was which. I hate working in a ceiling. Anything overhead or on a ladder makes my back do bad things.

Thanks,

Rainbow chaser
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Glad you got the lights on, rough casting in the dark!

Thank you for the lead shipment. Wifey said "wow, it's nice and shiny!"

Post office left us a note " 2 hevey!" It would have colapsed the rural box anyway.

Thank you.

David & Brenda

frankenfab
10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
This will work if you code the white as black in a light circuit. Generally this is used with light fixtures and the big problem with it is if you have multiple light fixtures and you lose a light bulb you lose the whole circuit.

If you are talking about interrupting the common instead of the hot, I have run in to this. Seems it is or was common at one time. Another downside is, if you are unaware of this configuration and have a bulb twist out of the socket you can get the pee shocked out of yourself getting the base out!