PDA

View Full Version : Lead find

Dirtdgger
10-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Stopped by a little recycle center today ask the guy if he had any lead. He said he didn't think so but I could look around. Well this place was a mess junk everywhere. And I do mean junk. stumbled around for a while found some plumbers lead, kept kicking boxes and low and behold a box full of printers type ( monotype) . The guy come up ask me if I had found anything so I showed him the monotype guy says is that lead? He then tells me he has a lot more in a shed. Went to shed two five gal buckets half full. Ended up being 145lbs of mono and 35lbs of pure lead. Went back and forth on price bought it all for $65.00 I think I got a deal.

Sgt Petro
10-08-2011, 08:08 PM
.36 cents a pound! You've been robbed!!!! I pity you, sir.

longarm85
10-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow ....wish i could find that deal!

Jailer
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Awesome score on the monotype!

plmitch
10-08-2011, 10:05 PM
very good score you got there

Cherokee
10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Great find.

Dirtdgger
10-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks, I have figured out the best places to look for lead are those places that others over look. This place just looked a real junkie house. My biggest competition are guys that pour sinkers. Stopped at a tractor place to get a tire ask about lead the owner said if I come back, they were real busy he has wheel weights from the truck tires they fix give them to me free. My best find was a bait shop guy had traded for a wooden crate of wheel weights was going to pour his own sinkers. He never got around to it sold them to me for the price of the beer he traded three five gallon buckets for $40.00 bucks. All my friends think I'm nuts everywhere we go I ask about lead but sometimes it works.

WHITETAIL
10-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Keep asking!:guntootsmiley:
You never know where or
when you will find gold (lead).

MikeS
10-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Monotype is BAD stuff! If you cast boolits with it, first any casting equipment that touches it will be forever ruined! If you manage to cast any boolits, the moulds will be ruined! If you shoot any thru any of your guns, they'll be ruined!

So, if you did cast any of it, and actually shot them, you have some ruined moulds, and ruined guns. To save yourself lots of embarrassment, just pack up those moulds, and guns, and send them to me. Also, send me whatever monotype you have left, I'll dispose of it so you won't have to worry about it ruining anyone else's guns/moulds!
:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Translation: Wish it was me that had that monotype at that price!

atom73
10-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, good find. The key is, always ask. What's the worst they can say? I have recently moved to a new rural town in SD and I ask at every gas station (after I buy gas). I have scored 3 5 gal pails of ww that way. Just keep asking, stay off the beaten path.

David2011
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Good buy! Twenty lb. WW with 1/2 lb Monotype really makes them cast nice. That's enough for about 278,000 200 grain boolits at that ratio. I've cast about 100K pistol boolits at that mix over the last 5 years. They fill out really well and look good.

David

Dirtdgger
10-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Mike good thing I haven't cast any yet. I wasn't sure how I was going to mix it but I'll try Davids mix. I was a day late on a big lead find went to the lake house two weeks a go they were wrecking a hospital stop and ask about the lead in the X-ray room. Guy had been there two days before ( sinker maker) bought it all 2400 lbs he bought it for 20 cents a pound. I called him tried to buy some he said he needed it all. That's a lot of sinkers.

bumpo628
10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Mike good thing I haven't cast any yet. I wasn't sure how I was going to mix it but I'll try Davids mix. I was a day late on a big lead find went to the lake house two weeks a go they were wrecking a hospital stop and ask about the lead in the X-ray room. Guy had been there two days before ( sinker maker) bought it all 2400 lbs he bought it for 20 cents a pound. I called him tried to buy some he said he needed it all. That's a lot of sinkers.

maybe they were "sinkers"