PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shop break in

pmer
10-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I had to look at an alarm at a gun shop today. They had a few long arms taken and it could've been much worse.

If you have alarms in your businesses and or homes check them periodically to make sure they are working.

The general idea is to call monitoring and say you're going to test, arm your system and go through all areas the alarm is watching while it's beeping "in alarm".

Call monitoring to see what they recieved.

I hope these useless scum bags get what's cumming to them.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I walked into a small private building supply store today, and set off the alarms! I said, atleast you know it works!

firefly1957
10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I worked at a place that had a alarm installed on a door to harass the smokers who used it as a shortcut out of the building (saved a 6 minute walk with 15 minute breaks). I told one of them were to put a magnet to disable the sensor it took the security company 6 months to discover it!!! and then it was only a accident that they did after a emergency caused a building evacuation and that door was the only alarm not tripped. So for your own security I would make sure all your alarm points work properly at each closing of a gun shop or other important business.

Freightman
10-09-2011, 09:09 AM
We had a break in, they backed a PU through the front window, stole 12 hand guns and left. The police got a call that someone was in there ally at 3 AM making lots of nois. The police went and there were the guns the perps and the plate glass window with the name of the shop in the bed of the PU. They tried to say that they had found the guns but couldn't think of a lie about the window.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I little cement and steel work can prevent that in the future . . .

DCM
10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I little cement and steel work can prevent that in the future . . .

+1 that was their mode of operation around here for a while. All of the firearms dealers either put in concrete filled 6-8" metal posts or "Beruit" blocks in front to prevent possible target areas from becoming a "drive thru".

A shop I Waukesha WI was broken into recently, the alarm worked, but they should have had a couple of outdoor cameras to go with the ones inside.
It would have helped tremendously to catch the crooks quickly, vehicle make, model, color(lic. plates need a really good camera and angle).

Chicken Thief
10-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Smoke is awfully effective, even more so if combined with a big strobe.

Dennis Eugene
10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Smoke is awfully effective, even more so if combined with a big strobe. or a 500 grain bullet.

Jamesconn
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
or a 500 grain bullet.

Yep too bad you can't sit there 24/7.

Security systems are bear useless you should modify they building to make it impossible/ time consuming to break in although it will cost some $$$ but if you have a big enough shop it's worth it too.

Silent alarm that alerts you at your house and the cops and whoever gets there first depends on the scums survival.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
the problem is you have to get things hard enough to get that it takes more than a minute to get anything

most alarms take 30 seconds to a minute before they alarm , procedures differ but 1 minute is basically absolute minimum before the police are dispatched so unless you have a cop around the corner , you need to make sure it takes them more than a minute , more like 10-15

i have seen a number of different things , most however are as simple as a gate that covers the door when the shop is closed , and the windows are usually covered also

double doors with the inside door that is left open during business hours but is a standard metal security door with dead bolts , the fire marshal requires that doors be open able from the inside with a simple thumb turn so that no one can get locked inside in a fire

the best you can do to slow them down without making things customer unfriendly

pmer
10-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Alot of times you can have interior zones set to be instant alarm, that can speed up the time to get a signal out of the building. Phone lines can be a weak spot too - if they are easily cut.

Thin Man
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Most shops use the silent alarm systems that send the violation signal to a central receiving office. If the violation signal is not reset after a set amount of time, the operator in the receiving station calls the local LE for response. All this adds up to a lot of lead time for the thief to take care of business.

One llocal shop owner got really tired of having to replace windows, doors and merchandise. He got the alarm company to install local, on-site alarms (in addition to the signal to the central station). Loud alarms. Lots of them. Over the next 6 months he had 2 separate entries. With each event, as soon as the alarm was violated the alarms inside the building immediately activated. He lost NO merchandise in either violation. The last of these entries was 7 years ago, none since then.

There has to be a lesson in this. If you want to catch a thief, use a silent alarm. If you want to keep your property, let the thief know that he has been discovered and response is on the way!

Thin Man

beagle
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Had an acquaintance back in the KY hills here a few years ago that was a reloader/shooter and had his shop in his basement. He was home alone one Sunday afternoon working in the shop and his wife was gone in his pickup and he heard a truck. Turned off the lights and looked out and two men were in a PU casing his place. Kept watching and one came and tried to get in his wooden outside basement door. No knocks, no calls for anyone. The guy went back to the PU and came back with a chainsaw and his buddy. By this time, he'd armed himself with a 12 guage 870 loaded with slugs and sat down in an old recliner he had down there. When the chainsaw blade came through the door, he put a slug through the door on either side of the blade and things got quiet real quick and he heard the truck screech off. Lot of blood around the entrance and a trail to the truck and a chainsaw left in the door. He told the sheriff and got no complaints from him and burglaries dropped off in the area and the chainsaw paid for a new door. Love it when a plan comes together./beagle

felix
10-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Now, I call that an ideally planned self defense. ... felix

felix
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Roughly the same happened to me, but I did not have to pull the trigger. Guy was breaking the window to our bedroom quietly as possible on the 4th of July at 4 AM exactly in Kansas City in 1967. I was sleeping lightly for some reason unknown and woke up. I got the 760 pump (30-06) from the closet a just a few steps away from both the window and the bed. I took out the loaded clip, and racked the slide as hard as I could hoping the noise would do the trick. It did not, and the guy held onto the frame as if frozen stiff. I rammed him as hard as I could in the stomach. He fell off onto the ground, not moving with belly-up. From the street light I saw no gun. It took a full 15 seconds for him to realize that he had escaped death, and got up and ran faster than MickeyMantle ever could around the bases. I did not call the cops because for some reason I suspected he will tell of his friends that our place was not worth the hassle. Like in Beagle's situation, we had no more robberies in the good sized neighborhood for at least another year while we were there. ... felix

Locality was 3332 Charlotte Street for you GoogleEarth guys....

btroj
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Does anyone not know the sound of a pump shotgun being racked?

felix
10-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Apparently, most don't. The movies in the last decade or two don't have them. ... felix

btroj
10-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, some just need to learn the hard way.