PDA

View Full Version : wow PARRAFIN!!!!!!!!!

indymadcaster
10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
been telling my hair salon owner wife that i need wax, She brings me home FIVE 5 gallon buckets!![smilie=w: it is the wax that hands and feet are dipped in. the salon is pretty busy they go thru 3-5 gallons a week. Its pretty soft and smells nice :veryconfu
I am not sure of the wax`s makeup sure it has parrafin in it , BUt what else???
at worse i have more flux than i can ever use can it be used in a good lube recipe like
Felix? i will melt it and filter thru a paint strainer to clean it
Looking for ideas of use? one bucket smells of lavender other smell like peaches :bigsmyl2:

indymadcaster

indymadcaster
10-08-2011, 08:01 AM
lol gonna melt some and add vaseline to cotton balls for firestarters and maybe some sawdust and wood chips

cajun shooter
10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I have used true parrafin that is used in canning as it is in it's purest form. Perhaps you should look at the MDS sheet for your wax score. It must be good if it is safe for those waxes that women receive.

Casting Timmy
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow, that's a lot of paraffin. You can also use it as a lube for some tooling tools I'd think, you;re going to have to start finding new ways to use wax from now on.

After drilling a hole you can fill it with wax before tapping it, that way all the chips come up and out of the hole with the wax. It will also help your tap cut a little.

Use it to also lube up saw blades when cutting metal, you'll definitely have enough wax for it all.

dnepr
10-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow, that's a lot of paraffin. You can also use it as a lube for some tooling tools I'd think, you;re going to have to start finding new ways to use wax from now on.

After drilling a hole you can fill it with wax before tapping it, that way all the chips come up and out of the hole with the wax. It will also help your tap cut a little.

Use it to also lube up saw blades when cutting metal, you'll definitely have enough wax for it all.

yes I have used parrafin as a cutting lube for my lathe , I am sure a chemist or a pro machinist could tell me that this isn't a good idea but it seems to work pretty well , I also use a 60% vaseline 40% parrafin lube for low velocity plinking loads and it seems to work well

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
lol gonna melt some and add vaseline to cotton balls for firestarters and maybe some sawdust and wood chips

I make firestarters from discarded candles (garage sale free boxes mostly...sometimes I have to buy them)...no added vaseline.
I use paper type egg cartons filled with chainsaw cutting wood chips.
I like Maple (cut fresh from a formerly live tree...then dried in a paper bag in
the extreme temperature changes of my garage attic)
also, I prefer when it's cut with the grain or through a branch crotch...making long curls.
I then pour hot wax over the wood curls.
I like to get the wax smoking hot (yes I know this is dangerous)
I do this outside only.
when the wax is this hot, it foams up as it touches the wood curls.
This way, they burn hotter for a shorter period of time,
instead of burning like a candle, plus it uses less wax.

one egg cell will start well seasoned wood in my wood stove.
Jon

longbow
10-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I have some wax from my wife's hot wax bath so probably the same stuff you have. It is slightly softer than straight canning paraffin and does smell nice. I will be trying it out in lube as well.

Waste not want not!

I am betting it works just fine as I have been using paraffin since I didn't have any beeswax and the paraffin works fine in the lube I made.

Longbow

GLynn41
10-08-2011, 12:36 PM
i have some that came with a foot messager-- it did not work well for me-- add soem vaseline- JPW -- and do not remeber what else-- but it came out like rubber-- maybe more vaseline - do not know- but the last ime i used just parfin it did fine so go figure-- just saying what I experienced

mdi
10-08-2011, 12:45 PM
YUCK! Wemmins had their feet in that stuff! Callouse old heels and bunions, not to mention all those corns!

I would certainly keep some (5 gallons of paraffin is a LOT!) and try it in a lube. Sounds like it is softened with an oil and/or fragrances...

geargnasher
10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Some of the best wine I ever drank had the feet of many old Wemmins in it!

Gear

Maven
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
"YUCK! Wimmins had their feet in that stuff! Callused old heels and bunions, not to mention all those corns!" ...mdi

mdi, That may be a turn on for some! Btw, beeswax, if it's not white, has lots of other stuff (bee parts) in it.

swheeler
10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Indymadcaster; does this mean you will selling and shooting "Brazilian" lube?

wills
10-09-2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.cbsexquisite.com/subact14.htm

Some has fragrances and other stuff.

Dan Cash
10-09-2011, 02:27 PM
YUCK! Wemmins had their feet in that stuff! Callouse old heels and bunions, not to mention all those corns!...

Not to mention the Toe Jam!

wolters4
10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I guess I will give that peach paraffin a try. Maybe the moly lube may smell better..

Sonnypie
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Hairy boolits?
Donno, might work fine.
I'll say one thing, it would probably be more appealing than that liquid ear wax called Alox. :cry:
That stuff (although I am a fan) is about as repulsive as boogers. :shock:

And who's to say wemmens toe jam wouldn't make some enriched boolit loob? :-|

(I think I would want to get it hot enough to sterilize it, if I was you.)

Baron von Trollwhack
10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
When you start selling off that stuff, it might be best to disguise its sourcing. Lie like bozo.

BvT

gray wolf
10-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Ever think how many places that wax has been on a persons body ?
Thank you but no thank you.

leadman
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I have used the wax from the pot I have for treating my hands from injuries. I wear disposable plastic gloves while soaking in it. It is heated about as hot as you can stand it.

The wax is real soft and slippery when hard but it makes an excellent flux for the lead alloy.
It does flame up easily so use a small amount at a time. I have found nothing that gets the lead cleaner.

atom73
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
yeah, all that stuff that has touched peoples bodies, gross. Meanwhile, these are the same men who would be in all other areas of a womans body no problem (and even women they dont know). Good find, use the wax, forget the cooties you arent 8 anymore. Use it for plucking ducks, burn it, flux it, firestarter it, lube it.......... still cant get over the reaction that some have (who dont seem to mind rooting through plumbers lead) over a little human contact. Watch that air you breathe everyone, you know what is in that dust?

atom73
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
BTW, I meant men 'generally' and not specifically those who posted, lest they get offended (geesh). Just trying to point out that our world is gross if you really start to think about it. We were designed to exist in a gross world.

mroliver77
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
What exactly do they use the wax for at the beuty shop?

How does she normally dispose of it?

I might check around here to see if some is available. I might be able to heat the shop/ house with it! The are lots of BTU's in 5 gal of wax!

Jay

indymadcaster
10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
they dip hands and feet in it i have done it here @ home and it does wonders for aching hands and tired feet i did drop a few pieces marble sized in our wood/corn pellet stove

HOLY **** IT mad it hot!!!!!!!!
they were pitching it NOT now!!!!! I may start trying it in boolit loob

mstarling
10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Yup ... I think I'd use the stuff for fluxing the pot and wear gloves while handling it. ;-)

BAGTIC
10-12-2011, 12:32 AM
By the time it has been heated good and hot it will be sterile.

Molly
10-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Ummmm. FYI, in case anyone cares: In Col. Harrison's report on bullet lubes in the Am. Rifleman, he mentioned that many wax-like materials would prevent leading very well, but would not permit accurate shooting. He mentioned that paraffin was particularly bad for this.

indymadcaster
10-20-2011, 11:03 PM
well marble sized pieces FLUX my pot well LOL and I have enough to flux often

sargenv
10-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I have leftover paraffin that I used to make candles from.. a 60 pound case and a 50 pound box of flake wax (ok, so maybe I have 30 pounds left) makes for a lifetime of flux.. I think I offered a small FRB of the block wax once or twice in the PIF forum.. I was surprised that it took a few days to send..

MT Gianni
10-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Ummmm. FYI, in case anyone cares: In Col. Harrison's report on bullet lubes in the Am. Rifleman, he mentioned that many wax-like materials would prevent leading very well, but would not permit accurate shooting. He mentioned that paraffin was particularly bad for this.

Great reminder Molly. I think I have less than $20 into enough ingredients to make FWFL for mine and my grand children's lifetimes.

sig2009
10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I have used true parrafin that is used in canning as it is in it's purest form. Perhaps you should look at the MDS sheet for your wax score. It must be good if it is safe for those waxes that women receive.

Just picked up a pound of parafin for home canning at ACE Hardware. $4.29. Great for fluxing!

thegreatdane
10-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Hobby lobby has a 3-ring binder+ sized slab for a few bucks. I bought one of those last year and am still using it. The stuff lasts a while.

nanuk
10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I bought a 5# chuck from Michaels craft supplies years ago... have no idea where it is.

NoZombies
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Parafin: good flux.
Not so good for lube; much soot,
no accuracy.

John Boy
10-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Paraffin: good flux
Even better, is an excellent lube for your mold pins. Does not burn and will not leave any residue

Baja_Traveler
10-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Start saving all your drier lint and toilet paper rolls - pack the lint into the cardboard roll nice and tight, then place upright on an old cookie sheet. Pour the melted wax into the roll until completely saturated top to bottom.
You could go into business selling emergency fire starters. One roll will burn all day and give off quite a bit of heat...

Canuck Bob
10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
You guys amaze me. That wax can't be as toxic as climbimg inside a moose carcas, handling a bug infested coyote, a pail of WWs loaded up with snot and snuff.

Its kinda like asking for a EPA hazard suit to clean the barn! LOL

Molly
10-26-2011, 04:16 PM
You guys amaze me. That wax can't be as toxic as climbimg inside a moose carcas, handling a bug infested coyote, a pail of WWs loaded up with snot and snuff.

Its kinda like asking for a EPA hazard suit to clean the barn! LOL

That's odd. I don't recall anyone saying that paraffin was toxic. Since it's used to seal food jars (canning), I'd sure be surprised to hear that claim.

Canuck Bob
10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Molly, there were some earlier posts on this thread about this batch of wax coming from a beauty salon and contaminated that some guys thought a bit disgusting. I'm just poking some fun is all!

Molly
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm just poking some fun is all!

AH! Sorry. I see now. (I always was a little slow to get the joke.)

uncle joe
10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
prolly got toe moppy in it ;-)

Baron von Trollwhack
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Just the thing for wax boolit shooters working on eliminating the local ferals.

BvT