PDA

View Full Version : accurizing a 1911?

Link23
10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
i have a Llama Max-1 1911 and i was wondering if there is anything i could do to help at my house to help with the trigger pull or really anything, i want it to just run smoother, any ideas?

Thanks Link23

HeavyMetal
10-07-2011, 09:13 PM
The problem I ran into with both the Llama's I worked on was they were not quite 1911 mil spec.

This means no "drop in" 1911 parts.

Best thing to do is strip it to the bare frame and look for burrs and crud in the action you'd be surprised what you find in both new and old guns!

A full length recoil spring guide rod will smooth things up and keep your spring from "kinking".

A lot of guys don't like them but I have found they keep the slide in a flat recoil action rather than letting the slide "torque" in an upward movement and spread the fram rails open making the gun loose all to soon!

If you know a good welder he can add metal to the barrel bushing and you can then fit it properly. drill and tap the trigger for a set screw so you can adjust back lash play with the spring tension on both trigger and safeties will net you some smoother action.

See how long the main spring is you might be able to clip one coil off each end.

Get Kunhuasen's book and read it a lot of what he does can be applied once you get the parts in "tolerance"!

Casting Timmy
10-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Sometimes even just a super thorough cleaning and deburring will give you a new gun. The book above is good, you can also watch soem youtube videos and get an idea of disassembly and certain things people are doing.

Start with the small projects and work your way up as you feel comfortable.

I believe there is also a website called Smartflicks (sp?) you can rent gunsmithing videos from.

Link23
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
how do you go about drilling and tapping the trigger for a set screw?

Char-Gar
10-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Enjoy the Llama for what it is.. A Spanish almost clone of a 1911...and let it go.

MBTcustom
10-09-2011, 11:02 AM
See if you can find a book called "Pistolsmithing" by George C. Nonte, Jr.
I have read this book so many times. I finally just had to try some of the cool tips in there.
I bought a phillipino 1911 knock-off for $300.
I tore it apart and threw away all the springs.
I put the slide in a machinist vice and tightened it on the edges of the rails. I kept squeezing it until I had even gap all the way down the rails measured with gauge blocks. This was to stabilized the side to side play in the slide.
I carefully peened the rails on the frame so that they would stabilize the up and down play in the slide. Again measured the gap with gauge blocks.
I tried to put them together and they would only go 1/4" before they seized on each-other (just the way I wanted it). I "lubed" the rails with yellow, super fine grade diamond polishing compound. I beat the side on and off a few hundred times with a rubber hammer and it gradually got loose enough that I could barely move it with my hands.
I left the polishing compound on the slide and put the gun together with new Wilson springs and went to the range with 300 rounds and my trusty hammer. Upon firing the slide would lock to the rear, and I had to hammer it closed on the next round. By the time I had worked through 200 rounds, the slide was closing almost all the way, with only thumb pressure needed to make it lock up completely. I stopped there, took the gun home and cleaned it thoroughly. The rails looked like mirrors! I blackened them with a candle and cycled the slide once. I would say that I had about 90% engagement over the entire length of the slide.
I measured my barrel diameter and ordered an oversize, Briley rotating bushing. After a few hours of careful filing and stoning, it fit perfectly, needing a bushing wrench to install.
Next, I did a simple trigger job that involved stoning all the engagement surfaces and redressing the sear angles, clipping a coil or two off of the hammer spring, bending a piece of the trigger hoop to provide less creep, and drilling and tapping for an over travel set screw.
Next I stippled the grip and got some good magazines.
When the pistol was finished it got a lot of comments. It looked like dog s#!t on the outside, but the lockup was superb, and it ran like a sewing machine. When the pistol was shut, without a magazine, you could shake it hard and it would not rattle at all. It was definitely a diamond in the rough. The sad part is, one of my buddies at work liked it and I sold it to him for $300. I built it and was satisfied at the time with the result and wanted to move on to something else, but now I realy wish I hadn't sold it.
The point is, If it resembles a 1911 pistol Its never over till you give up on it. I could take the most beat up ratted out 1911 there is and with a little money and labor, could make function like a race gun. I couldn't make any money that way, but Ill never turn down a good deal on a 1911 if I need a pistol. Llama or otherwise. Although I have to agree that because the llama is different than the 1911 A1 it is one of the more challenging knockoffs to build on, but that doesn't mean that its trash.

waksupi
10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
You can tighten them up like that. But if you are going to carry them every day, or depend on them for your life, you want the loose GI tolerances. It doesn't take much dirt to tie up a tight 1911.

MBTcustom
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
That is true. I should have mentioned that the 1911 I modified was used for paper punching only. I carry a 1911 for self defense now and it is a rattle trap. It constantly amazes me how much crud gets lodged in every nook and cranny just from every day carry. I had opportunity to shoot my carry pistol just last weekend and I did not clean it in any way because I wanted to make sure that it would function even with all the belly-button lint. When I fired the first shot, lint went everywhere, but it didn't jam, and it ate every round like a champ. I wouldn't trust the one I built to be that reliable.

Link23
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a S&W SD9 for my self defence and a colt comander, i got this Llama for 180 bucks at a pawn shop and i wanted to see if i could make it shoot as good as my Taurus PT1911

Link

andremajic
10-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Just make sure you get that *** plastic plunger tube replaced with one of these, and you can reblue it or use a bake on finish without worrying about it.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/pistols/L_Rpistol.html

(Don't ask me how I found out it was plastic.)