PDA

View Full Version : NOE Copy of Saeco 221 .225" AR Boolit

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Ok, did some preliminary testing of this boolit today.

Prelim. testing for function and accuracy.

Shot at 40 yds, rested on the side of my truck bed, without my glasses, and produced a 1" 5 shot group (not saying I could do much better with my glasses :) ).

Sized to .225", Lubed with Carnuba Red, seated just off the lands, over 19.0 grains H4895.

Shot from 16" cheapy model 1 barrel w/ carbine length gas system, 1-9" twist. Cycled very smoothly and reliably.

There was not a touch of leading throughout the entire length of the barrel.

I am VERY happy since this is my first try at loading cast in AR's. I will be eagerly awaiting others results. I am also looking to experiment with reloader 15 since I have over 8 pounds of it.

:drinks:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-08-2011, 07:22 PM
OK, had a chance to run some rounds through the chrono. The above mentioned load (19 grns H4895, CCI SRP, etc) gave me an average of 2110 fps with 6 shots. Velocity was fairly consistent with an ES of around 50 FPS.

Shot more rounds for accuracy and the bullet goes where you aim. I am very impressed with this boolit!

No leading and no clogging of the gas port. [smilie=w:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
19.0 grains Reloader 15 is a winner too. Willl chrono it within the next few days.

Moonie
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
That is great to hear. I need to cast some of these up.

Moonie
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I've got some of these cast, checked and sized to .225, anyone else having trouble with the gas checks coming off? I'm using blammers gator gas checks.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Gas check coming off...after sizing but before loading? Or before sizing? Or after shooting?

Mine snap fit on and stay on before sizing. I snap a couple hundred on and then push them thru the sizer. Maybe one or 2 in a hundred may fall off when I am putting it in the sizer. But, after I size them, the GC is firmly crimped on, of course.

I am also using Blammer's checks.

Moonie
12-14-2011, 11:13 AM
After sizing but before loading. Mine also snap on, I tumble lube, put on the check, size in a Lee push through .225 sizer then tumble lube again. out of 100 I've had about 10 come off. While this isn't a large amount it was unexpected as I've never had checks come off with other molds using this exact proceedure.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
That is odd. I'm sure Al will maybe chime in. If not i would give him a PM as I know he stands behind his molds 100%. Good luck!

SwedeNelson
12-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Moonie

Gator checks do fit a little looser than Hornady.
Its not something you can measure, its more of a feel.
The radius in the bottom of the check is a little bigger too.
Make sure you are getting good fill out on the GC shank.
With out seeing any bullets that would be my first thought.
You are the first one to report this problem, it is generally the
other way around. GC shank to large and cant get the GC on.
When you size the bullet it should stay on.

If it becomes a big problem send it back and we will check it out.

Swede Nelson

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
+1 Al

Now that I think about it I DID have a handful of rejects (maybe 10 or so in 500) with unfilled bases. I just went and tried to get a gas check on and it was a loose fit and would not crimp on after sizing. I bet this is your problem.

Moonie
01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Actually the bases are perfect, I cull any that aren't, I am using gator's. I have numerous other calibers and don't have this problem with gator checks, including the bator mold, the gator checks stay on perfectly. Kind of irritated I waited months for a mold that sheds checks before I can even get them loaded, I haven't even loaded any of the ones I cast because of this issue.

Makes me wonder how many will come off either inside the case or before the boolit strikes the target.

It has not been my experience that gator checks are looser than hornady.

SwedeNelson
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Moonie

Send it back and we will check it out.
Replace or refund if its bad.

Swede Nelson

DukeInFlorida
01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
There would certainly be enough pressure to solidly slam the gas check into the back end of the bullet, where it would do it's job all o the way out of the barrel. It might separate after leaving the barrel, but only recovering a few fired samples would tell you that.

I like making my own gas checks, because I can tune the checks by using thicker sheet material. I don't have a horse in this race, but will tell you that Swede is A+++ when it comes to standing behind his molds.

Send your mold to him, along with few of your Gator checks.

Alloy will affect sizing of the gas check shank. What can you tell Swede about the alloy you are using? Are you water dropping?

Actually the bases are perfect, I cull any that aren't, I am using gator's. I have numerous other calibers and don't have this problem with gator checks, including the bator mold, the gator checks stay on perfectly. Kind of irritated I waited months for a mold that sheds checks before I can even get them loaded, I haven't even loaded any of the ones I cast because of this issue.

Makes me wonder how many will come off either inside the case or before the boolit strikes the target.

It has not been my experience that gator checks are looser than hornady.

Moonie
01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I hadn't looked at these boolits in several months as the upper is my sons and I have been concentrating on my rifles specifically my 6.8spc. I went back and took a closer look at the ones that were a problem and I believe I owe you an apology. It appears that the gas checks may not have been seated completely before they were crimped. The ones that were seated completely and properly crimped on are very tight and I cannot even turn them. Let me do some testing but please consider this matter closed and I am sorry for the trouble. I do love the mold and it casts beautifully.

SwedeNelson
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Moonie

Not a problem.
Just want you to be happy with it.

Thanks
Swede Nelson