PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights/ monotype 10-1

clodhopper
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Just got started casting with Wheelweights, 10 Monotype, 1.
The bullets fill out nicley and have a strange blue hue.
Its not the deep blue of pure lead, but just a very shiney silver with just a hint of the light blue spectrum.
Will post back with lee hardness tester results.

clodhopper
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
17.4 on the lee scale, thats pretty good for fresh cast, given a few weeks these could harden up nicley.

btroj
10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
They should become quite hard. What are you casting for? Those are going to be way harder than most applications will ever call for. Seems like a waste of monotype to me. Save that stuff for sweetening up pure lead.

clodhopper
10-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm casting these for a Garand. I have had some trouble with lead droplets jamming the op rod.

btroj
10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Have you tried straight water dropped wheel weights?
I would ask here for advice on loading for a Garand. It may well not be an alloy hardness issue. I have a feeling someone here can help.

clodhopper
10-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Well I have tried lots of other shooters thoughts. Other shooters say they can make cast work but...
If I can't shoot 2 and eight in 60 seconds without leading the bullets have no use.
So this is another test.

hydraulic
10-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I shoot the BoB S garand load of 46grs. of H4831 with the Lee 200 gr. bullet. Accuratge, works the action reliably, and I have never had any leading. Straight AC wheelweights. I'll bet the leading you're getting on the op rod is from shooting hard bullets. You don't need anything harder than about 12.

btroj
10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I also wonder if it is a fit issue. I have to think gas blow by could lead to lead deposits on the op rod.
Try a fatter bullet maybe? I just don't think going that hard is the answer.

cbrick
10-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Mr. hydraulic is a wise man, heed his advice.

Too hard causes it's own problems as your finding out the "hard way". Pun intended.

btroj could well have a legitimate point, fit is everything, far more important for accuracy and a lead free barrel than shooting diamonds is a good fit.

Rick

clodhopper
10-08-2011, 02:18 AM
I have tried 50/50 wheel weights, range scrap.
I have tried air cooled wheel weights.
I have tried water dropped wheel weights.
I have tried sizeing .308 and .309 with my barrel slugging at .308
I have tried powders from Imr 4895, 4064, 4350, 4831, and RL 22.
I have tried cleaning the barrel then lubeing with liquid alox.
That little drop of moulten, then frozen lead still comes back to jam the op rod at the gas port.
Now I'm giving harder bullets a try.
Still wonder if it's the rapid fire, rough barrel, or burr at the gas port.
Thanks for the advice guys

zomby woof
10-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Now try .310-.311. You have a fit problem. I shoot the M1in Highpower also. I only get little bits on the end of the Op-rod.

10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Again, more good advice above. Try the .310 & .311. You may Flitz the barrel if you think it's rough. 100 - 200 passes with a cleaning patch full of Flitz. Also, have you cleaned all the copper out of the gun? Janitorial strength ammonia (10%) on a cleaning patch will work the copper out. May take a series of alternating ammonia, flitz, ammonia, flitz, etc. 'till it comes clean. If that's even the problem in the first place. Lots to experiment with. Good luck.

clodhopper
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I have been cleaning the barrel with the foaming bore cleaner twice a day since your post, 725.
I had fired up several clips of jacketed bullets this summer, and as of today still getting blue on the patch.
And I did do the flitz treatment after my last op rod jamming session last winter, but have not taken the time to see if it helps.
Zombie Woof, good thought, no .310 sizer, but might be able to scrounge up a .311.
Any way the bullets this post started about were sized the same day they were cast, now lubed and in a few weeks after time gives them some more hardness, some shooting will take place