PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Seating dies and cast bullets?

milprileb
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Anyone use Dillon seating dies for 9mm or 45 acp cast bullet reloading?

My question if you do is this: Is the Dillon die better for seating bullets than say a Hornady or RCBS seating die ?

I know Dillon dies can be taken apart and cleaned easily so that is a plus. What I don't know is if the Dillon seating dies are really BETTER for seating cast bullets?

They look like they fit RN and SWC bullets better on the seating stem ??:killingpc:killingpc:killingpc

Lizard333
10-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Dillon dies are the only dies I use for seating. I have loaded thousands of cast rounds for 9 and 45. Never had any issues. I don't have the issues done have had with cast boolit resizing by the die either.

Walt
10-08-2011, 08:37 AM
IMO, Dillon pistol dies are the best for cast bullets. They come with double ended seating punches and they take down for cleaning without losing adjustments. They are however more difficult to deal with when making precise initial adjustments.

milprileb
10-08-2011, 08:44 AM
While I thank all who posted, I wanted to not get deflected by the cleaning and seating stem innovations. What I wanted to find out is: are they better for seating cast bullets over RCBS or Hornady seating dies.

If anyone can address the superiority (if it is that) of Dillon seating dies for cast bullets, it will be appreciated.

btroj
10-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Superior how? I doubt they seat a bullet any straighter. I doubt they are and more exact in searing depth round to round.
Any searing die that puts a bullet into a case straight is good enough for me.

The "advantages" of a Dillon seating die are mostly the larger taper on the bottom of the die and the ease of cleaning. Any mention of them making better shooting ammo is hype in my opinion.

I suppose the only way for you to really know is to buy one and run a comparison. I bet you won't se any difference.

milprileb
10-08-2011, 09:35 AM
btroj:

That is the question I pose. You don't know first hand and neither do I. So I ask the question to see if anyone can validate they are better and hopefully some sage cast bullet reloader with experience will let us know the skinny.

I don't know what I don't know about Dillon seating dies but I am asking for someone who does know so the facts can be laid out for all of us.

Help me out guys: anyone got first hand knowledge of using these dies and can validate they are superior to seating cast bullets for 9mm or 45 acp??

Kevin Rohrer
10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
When I use my Dillon, I use it w/ Dillon dies. And I load w/ lead bullets w/o a problem.

milprileb
10-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you Kevin.

I load with Dillon presses using Pacific, Hornady, Lee and RCBS dies and have no issues whatsoever.

The Dillon seating die appears to fit the bullet precisely and to facilitate straighter seating for cast bullets (lead bullets).

Yes, I know they are easier to clean , come apart and have a user friendly seating stem but I am not suffering from not having these innovations on dies I have already been using. I do focus in on the seating feature of Dillon as the interesting feature that might benefit my reloading of 9mm and 45 acp.

Hopefully, some one will comment they reap some benefit from Dillon dies on this seating feature.

Colorado4wheel
10-08-2011, 10:04 AM
While I thank all who posted, I wanted to not get deflected by the cleaning and seating stem innovations. What I wanted to find out is: are they better for seating cast bullets over RCBS or Hornady seating dies.

If anyone can address the superiority (if it is that) of Dillon seating dies for cast bullets, it will be appreciated.

My Hornady SUCKED in 9mm for seating oversize Lead. So anything is better then that. I prefer my Lee seating. In my experience they have a slightly steeper cone shape inside the stem. Dillon/RCBS has a much shallower cone. I remove the stem on all my Lee, put them in a Drill, Spin and polish the inside. After that they are smooth. Not sure if it's a improvement or not. Lee will make a custom cone for a very good price ($10 ish)Some complain about the Lee varying. I think they just don't let them take a initial set before making adjustment. With the Lee all you do is turn the dial and recheck. You don't loosen the Die. So the Die stays centered. You can mark the adjuster and get back to that same setting pretty easy as well. I can make 1K bullets and have nearly every single one of them pass a very tight case gauge (EGW). So the Lee has been best for seating straight in 9mm as well. RCBS and even the fancy Redding didn't come close. Hornady was so bad that 20% failed my case gauge. With my oversize 9mm they have to be nearly perfect to pass that gauge.

Shiloh
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Anyone use Dillon seating dies for 9mm or 45 acp cast bullet reloading?

My question if you do is this: Is the Dillon die better for seating bullets than say a Hornady or RCBS seating die ?

I know Dillon dies can be taken apart and cleaned easily so that is a plus. What I don't know is if the Dillon seating dies are really BETTER for seating cast bullets?

They look like they fit RN and SWC bullets better on the seating stem ??:killingpc:killingpc:killingpc

Use Dillon for those and all pistol calibers. There is a double ended seating die with Dillon. Pick the one that fits best.

Shiloh

milprileb
10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Well.... I never saw any advantage of the sliding Hornady seating die in 45 acp on my Dillon vs the shell plate in which I have a RCBS seating die installed for 45 acp. The sliding Hornady die in theory should be better for cast bullets but I see no love gained there. I see no accuracy improvements in ammo either.

I am seeing no difference in Lee vs RCBS seating dies for 9mm oversized bullet seating (.358)
but was hoping this Dillon was (as they advertise) a better solution to seating lead bullets and thus, this is why I am asking about Dillon seating dies specifically.

Its expensive chasing rainbows so hopefully a Dillon die owner will validate the issue.

milprileb
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Use Dillon for those and all pistol calibers. There is a double ended seating die with Dillon. Pick the one that fits best.

Okay Shiloh: Why is that ? Why is it better ? If its better, I will buy it. I am looking for substance on the issue of Dillon being better. Expand on your thoughts please. Thank you !!

btroj
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I would say they are better if for no reason than they are easier to clean accumulated lube and crud from.
Better is a very subjective term. To me the ease of cleaning is a major plus. I will say that I have had no problem with RCBS or Hornady dies either.
Until someone can decide what "better" means in the context of the original question it remains hard to answer. Better at what?

milprileb
10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Seating bullets w/o shaving, seating bullets aligned and not off center and crooked.

It would be helpful if the issue of cleaning could be dropped as it just fogs the discussion.

Do the Dillon seating dies make better ammo? Can we focus on that ?

Help me out here, otherwise this search for information goes no where.

btroj
10-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Shaving lead is more a problem of improper case mouth expansion.
I have never had lead shaving with any brand dies if I properly expanded the case mouth and got the bullet set square on the case mouth.
If the case mouth is shaving lead it is more an operator error than a die issue.
As for off center and crooked I can't say as I have never checked runout on handgun ammo.
How far are you shooting? I bet that unless you are shooting a highly accurate handgun and are a serious competitor that all brands of dies will create plenty accurate ammo. I have never seen discussion about off center bullets or run out issues being a cause of poor accuracy.
Handgun accuracy has much more to do with the gun and shooter than it does with the seating die. I have a feeling it would take one heck of a pistol shot to be able to state with certainty that one brand of seater was better at producing accurate ammo than another. Are you that good?

I don't think that Dillon seaters produce more accurate ammo. Can I guarantee it? NO.

Colorado4wheel
10-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I am seeing no difference in Lee vs RCBS seating dies for 9mm oversized bullet seating (.358)
but was hoping this Dillon was (as they advertise) a better solution to seating lead bullets and thus, this is why I am asking about Dillon seating dies specifically.

Its expensive chasing rainbows so hopefully a Dillon die owner will validate the issue.

It's all about the shape for the Stem. Thats about it. The dillon has a Flat and a Cone stem. It's nothing special besides that and the ease of cleaning. I have used the Dillon. I gave it back and went right back to my lee. It wasn't bad. It was fine. It wasn't better either (besides cleaning). It was a PITA to setup compared to the lee. I was loading a lot of different style of bullets at that time so for me the Lee was much easier to use.

Sliding guides like high end Redding and Hornady. Have to fit the bullet perfect and NOT hang up on lube. I have had no end of trouble with them.

Lizard333
10-08-2011, 02:02 PM
All my dies are dillon. I use the with a 550b. Never had any issue. I feel they work better because I paid twice as much. Does that help??

Casting Timmy
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I haven't tried dillon does yet, but I think the advantage is you get a seating die and crimping die with the set. Although now you can do the same with lee dies since they have the fcd. Although I would really think about getting the carbide removed out of the fcd before using it.
If you are using a single stage, go with your brand of preference. If you're looking for progressive I would get the fcd and your favorite brand of dies or get the dillons our lee 4 die set

Colorado4wheel
10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Here is how it works.

Lee makes a regular crimp die for most pistol calibers. No reason to buy a FCD and remove the carbide ring.

If you don't want a FCD with pistol you simply buy a Deluxe 3 die set and add the taper crimp die for about $10 more.

Dillon sells it's dies as a SET with a carbide sizer, seater (with no built in crimper) and a separate crimp die. OR You can buy any one of them individual.

Walt
10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
All my dies are dillon. I feel they work better because I paid twice as much. Does that help??

Yes, it helps me a lot. I use Dillon for pistol and Redding for rifle. If you pay more it must be better.[smilie=p:

milprileb
10-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Isn't there anyone on this board that has gone to Dillon dies for better seating of lead bullets?

Can we just keep the focus and not shut this down with Lee FCD debates and other fog ?

I really am searching for definitive feed back here if there is any.

btroj
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
You keep asking the same question- are they better.
People are giving their opinion of why they are better. The fact it doesn't equal your definition of better is not their fault.
Only one person can tell if you will find them to be better and that is you.
Buy one and test it. See how it does with your bullets on your press.
We have all given you our opinions. We can't do much more than that.

milprileb
10-09-2011, 07:45 AM
You got me there. I ask for experience (if any) of those who know Dillon dies
and you want me to accept opinions of those who don't own any but have
have opinions.

I got the opinions and can respect them. I am asking for experience, not opinions.

It has nothing to do with my definition of better or my opinion. It has everything to
do about asking Dillon Die owners about their results.

So...no offense, I am seeking facts and experience of Dillon Die owners. I am not
such a owner so I seek their experience.

felix
10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Custom dies for the ammo desired is the only way to go when money does not enter the equation. Requires cases fired from your gun and the projectile intended to reload. Also, best to have the maker supply the tooling as well to insure a complete match of components to manufacture ammo HAVING a straight center line. I am sure Dillon will enjoy the challenge, or anyone else for that matter. NOW, THOSE ARE THE FACTS OF LIFE!

Yes, I like Dillon equipment for its intended purpose in making ammo fast. ... felix

milprileb
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Okay, the jury is in. No experienced reloader on this board has tested Dillon over other seating dies and can make the call on what is BEST.

That said and I believe that is the case here: I just ordered a set and will post results.

I will load 9mm using this Dillon Seating Die and compare results with ammo loaded with Lee and RCBS seating dies on my Co Ax press.

That ought to illustrate if there is any Wonderfulness of Dillon or not.

jfg
10-09-2011, 11:53 AM
OK, I own and have used Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Hornady in .45 ACP & 9mm para and load mostly cast bullets as well as J-bullets.
Can't tell any difference in any ammo loaded with any, performance or appearance.
But I do like the Dillon dies better. Why? just because.

Sonnypie
10-09-2011, 01:51 PM
No, I don't own, nor have I ever used Dillon anything. There, now stop reading, or hear about my recent experiance... It's a free country
(I think..)

Yesterday I was reloading 45 ACP brass from Fridays fun. I had 100 Boolits I had pan loobed to test the loob of a Friend of mine.
When cake-cutting the boolits, I got some of the loob on the nose area of the boolits.
Apparently the loob found it's way up on the face of the pusher in my seating die.
It actually caused me seating problems, but after cleaning everything, and then making sure the loob was cleaned from every where but the lube grooves I was able to finish the rest of the loads without events. (I was embarrassed about the utter garbage I cleaned out of that die)

This kind of a thing is probably next to unfathomable with clean shiny factory made bullets. Which is what the manufacturers of ANY dies would use for comparison.

But casters of boolits are a different cut of cloth. So it pays to note what lube can do to the accuracy of your ammo you reload.
I don't care if you are using Dillon Dies, or a damned dowel, to seat your bullets.
Or your method of lubing. (I often wondered why Lee advocates that tumble lube helps the boolits feed in a magazine and action.)
Lube on your lead alloy cast bullets, VS: what the manufacturers use to proof their products, shiny squeaky clean copper jackets... can and does throw your comparisons out the window.

Personally, I wipe every blessed round down with a shop towel and a little solvent.
:lovebooli

YMMV
But if all you REALLY want is to brag about your Dillon Dies, by all means, excuse me.

btroj
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Does Dillon advertise their dies as producing "better" ammo? They have some design features that make them very attractive to many users.
I can see where the larger bell on the mouth of the dies is a nice feature for a progressive press user. The easy of cleaning on the seating and crimp dies is a big plus.
Does any of this mean they make better ammo? Nope. It only means that maki good ammo is easier. That may well make them Better dies in my book.

Walt
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Does Dillon advertise their dies as producing "better" ammo? They have some design features that make them very attractive to many users.
I can see where the larger bell on the mouth of the dies is a nice feature for a progressive press user. The easy of cleaning on the seating and crimp dies is a big plus.
Does any of this mean they make better ammo? Nope. It only means that maki good ammo is easier. That may well make them Better dies in my book.

Well said. I have tried others on my 550 and none compare for user friendliness with cast boolits.

Rick459
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=milprileb;1423902][B]Okay, the jury is in. No experienced reloader on this board has tested Dillon over other seating dies and can make the call on what is BEST.

That said and I believe that is the case here: I just ordered a set and will post results.

I will load 9mm using this Dillon Seating Die and compare results with ammo loaded with Lee and RCBS seating dies on my Co Ax press.

That ought to illustrate if there is any Wonderfulness of Dillon or not.

milprileb,
when loading .45 L.C. using my Co-Ax press i found that the Dillon dies are a littlt too short when using the forster locking rings or any locking ring of that thickness. the lock rings that come with the Dillon dies are thin enough to get enough adjustment on the die in the co-ax press, but they do not have a set screw to lock the ring onto the die body and as you know the co-ax press needs to have lock rings that lock onto the die in order to keep them in adjustment. the RCBS lock rings are a little thinner than the forster but what i did is turn down a Lee lock ring in my lathe to get me enough adjustment. good luck with your test.
Rick

milprileb
10-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Will divert test to the Rock Chucker, did not know they don't fit the Co Ax. THANKS for the heads up.

SonnyPie: I always just used a M16 cleaning rod with slotted tip to swab seating dies clean. Used Ballistol to soften the crud and it does it nicely. I am sure Hoppes or CLP would do just fine too

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
milprileb,

Years ago, I loaded .40 S&W on a buddy's 450B (predecessor to the 550B) using Dillon dies. A few months after that, I loaded .38 special on my own 550B for about six months. I then got rid of the Dillon 550B for multiple reasons and got a Hornady LnL AP that I reloaded on for ten years.

During the ten years, I loaded using Hornady, RCBS, Lyman and Lee dies. As time passed, I slowly sold off the other brands and kept the Lee dies. They are easy to adjust, cleaning has not been a big deal and I really like that FCD for pistol cartridges. At this point, I only buy other brands of dies for special applications, such as an RCBS x-die in calibers with lots of associated rifle brass.

As far as quality of ammo produced, the Dillon dies did not produce ammo that was any better. The ease of cleaning was a non issue for me, as most any die, even those in a tool head, can be removed with the tool head and cleaned in very hot water (melts the lube out) and then sprayed down with some WD40 to flush any little bit of water, then wiped down inside with a q-tip.

The Dillon dies did real well making the operation of the progressive smoother.

But I found if I took a few minutes polishing up the Lee dies, they ran just as well, were cheaper and produced great ammo for me, including some very accurate pistol ammo I shot in a fine tuned Rock Island 1911. Great groups at 25 yards, like shooting a laser beam at the target. Made some good money turning the black to green on a shoot and see target. The challenge: "I'll take my Rock Island, you take your high dollar (insert brand here) and we'll shoot at these 5" shoot and see targets until the black turns to green. First one to do that wins."

Using a Lee custom mold with H&G #68 duplicate, Lee dies on a Hornady LnL to assemble the cartridges and a customized Rock Island Armory 1911, I never lost that bet in ten years. Not many people would take that bet and I offered it many times.

If you haven't spent the money on the Dillon dies, I wouldn't, unless you just want to.

Just my .02,

Dave

milprileb
10-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Dave. I also shoot that Lee HG 68 clone SWC and its deadly accurate in my pistols with 5.1 gr of WW 231 and White Label lube. I have had good luck with every die set including Lee.

Colorado4wheel
10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Okay, the jury is in. No experienced reloader on this board has tested Dillon over other seating dies and can make the call on what is BEST.

Jeez, I told you several times that I have used Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Dillon seating dies in 9mm. Lee are my favorite for cast. Hornady made ammo that was bad. Redding Comp Dies are great die but it's not well suited for oversized cast bullets with the exposed lube. RCBS and Dillon work fine but I prefer Lee. If the bullet seats straight they all end up working the same. Assuming the bullet is straight. Seating straight is a function of the interface of the bullet to the seating stem. Lee will make a custom one if you like for a very fair price.

Mike Kerr
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
milprileb wrote:

"I will load 9mm using this Dillon Seating Die and compare results with ammo loaded with Lee and RCBS seating dies on my Co Ax press.

That ought to illustrate if there is any Wonderfulness of Dillon or not. "
__________________________________________________ ________________
I will look forward to hearing the results. A CoAx owner should be tuned into precision.

regards,

:-):-)

Sonnypie
10-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Will divert test to the Rock Chucker, did not know they don't fit the Co Ax. THANKS for the heads up.

SonnyPie: I always just used a M16 cleaning rod with slotted tip to swab seating dies clean. Used Ballistol to soften the crud and it does it nicely. I am sure Hoppes or CLP would do just fine too

I simply dismounted my seating die and cleaned it, and the bullet pusher, with some Naptha and a soft brush. Followed with a shop towel with some naptha on it.
Then readjusted it with a 77 year old "factory fresh" round, and OAL checks of cast boolit rounds. :lol:
Things are not always what they appear to be. Believe me, I will be scrutinizing my seating dies more closely from now on. Don't make no differance, lube build up is loob build up.
(RCBS, Lyman, and Lee)

milprileb
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Colorado4wheel,

Your post on use got overlooked by me: I found it and it answers my question and thank you.

Some posts show up in my email and some don't. Guess I got to pull up the forum and scour

replies to be sure I can see all the traffic.

Thanks.

noylj
10-13-2011, 12:53 AM
I have loaded rounds with Hornady, Lee, Dillon, Redding, and RCBS dies. In general, there is no difference. I liked the Redding and RCBS dies as they USED to come with an assortment of seating stems to better match the bullet ogive.
However, for .38 Special wadcutter loads, Lee and Hornady seating dies produced rounds that produced about 0.4" smaller groups. I was surprised that Lee was so good as there is nothing there that indicates any better technology.
I like the Dillon and Hornady dies as they can be disassembled while on the press for cleaning.
For the cost of the dies, I am happy with the Lee dies.

milprileb
10-13-2011, 06:52 AM
I was thoroughly warned in this thread not to expect anything spectacular in seating performance with the Dillon die. Well, the 9mm seating die arrived and its stem is no where like the one in the Dillon catalog (fitting SWC bullet profile so precisely) and it seats no more consitently than my RCBS, LEE seating dies and manner of seating depth is antiquated as you must move die body... there is no seating stem adjustment knob or screw. Now I have not loaded and shot ammo yet using it so I cannot say it makes any difference other than it drops apart for cleaning very cleverly and effortlessly.

I think I chased a rainbow and found a pile of gold at the end... however its a cow pie spray painted with gold paint.

I will say this: never saw the bottom of a die so well and aggressively radius ed for use on a progressive press. This is the most dynamic such die opening ever seen.

btroj
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
And the ease of cleaning and radius make it "better" to some on a progressive press. We all have pur own definition of best, based upon our own criteria.
I will be amazed ifmit seats bullets any better for 9mm. How would you know anyway? Are you going to measure runout? Group size? Unless you are one heck of a shooter with a match tuned gun you won't ever know the difference.

milprileb
10-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, at this point in the race, I won't predict any winning results that
make it the track shoe of choice !!!! I was a bit taken back when the seating stem
was not like in the catalog photo which shows a very precise seating stem on a 45 acp SWC HG 68 bullet. The stem that comes with it for 9mm is different and no more precise than a Lee or RCBS.

Dillon vents the seating stem but I kind of scratch my head about that being any dynamic that is going to bring the audience up off their chairs.

I will say this.... I won't be so eager to buy a 45acp version unless use of the 9mm one wins me over and I did not buy it for ease of cleaning !

I have had RCBS and Hornady widen my 45acp carbide dies so they function on progressive presses (old sets of dies bought in the late 60s) and they do just fine but they are not 5% the open radius of the Dillon manner of opening dies. I won't buy new Dillon carbide dies but I will go on the stage and say if I wanted carbide fool proof feeding dies for a progressive press, the Dillon solution is worth a serious look. My sons newest set of Hornady 45acp dies for LNL press don't come close to the Dillon in this feeding regard. That Dillon opening is some serious work !!!