PDA

View Full Version : Pewter

VA Shooter
10-07-2011, 07:01 AM
How do I know if I have pewter or not I got some pic frames at a yard sale and they look like pewter I just wanted to know how I could tell when I melt them this week end

milprileb
10-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Same problem here. I see stuff and its not marked pewter
and one cannot use the acid test on someone else s property
to test it.

jsizemore
10-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Do a search for pewter in this forum and you'll find plenty info.

imashooter2
10-07-2011, 08:02 AM
If it melts at standard lead casting temperatures, it's probably pewter. The proprietary zinc and aluminum based alloys melt at much higher temperatures.

mold maker
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I buy questionable pieces with the agreement that I can test and return them. Take them home and use a very small insulin needle to put just the smallest drop of acid ( half the size of a pin head ) on an unnoticeable place (edge or raised area on the back) and watch for the bubbles. If none appear, I test in another spot being sure there is no coating or dirt. If I still get no bubbles I'm pretty sure it's pewter.
If the first drop of acid produces small bubbles, rinse it quickly with soda and water so that only a tiny clean spot is left. This gets return no worse for wear.
Depending on melting temp is an iffy proposition until you have a puddle of molten known pewter, at a stable temp to dip the questionable piece in. Its easy to exceed the melting temp of zinc etc with only contact point with the pot to test melting. That being just like melting an empty pot of WWs with a zinc weight mixed in. Often a zinc weight on the bottom will melt long before the lead above it.
I much prefer marked pewter, but unless you study the different markings you will still be fooled. Many pewter marked pieces have added words, that disqualify them for our purposes.

clodhopper
10-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Often I buy questionable material if the price is low enough, if you pay a quarter for a 3 oz picture frame or incense burner you can afford to make some mistakes. Then you learn fast what you can melt and what you can't.
It makes me feel bad to pay any good money for worthless scrap but when you weigh the alternative of paying full price of known tin I'm happy to gamble, and have done well.
If you disregard the time and gas spent going to garage sales.

imashooter2
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Depending on melting temp is an iffy proposition until you have a puddle of molten known pewter, at a stable temp to dip the questionable piece in. Its easy to exceed the melting temp of zinc etc with only contact point with the pot to test melting. That being just like melting an empty pot of WWs with a zinc weight mixed in. Often a zinc weight on the bottom will melt long before the lead above it.

I use a soldering iron. As soon as it will melt lead free solder, I hit the unknown piece.

fryboy
10-07-2011, 09:42 PM
the bend test also comes into play - zinc doesnt very well , lead tin and pewter all bend , at least on thin pieces

FWIW zinc is also worth money , it's currently about a nickel below lead prices