PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a SP101 327 Fed Mag - opinions?

wellfedirishman
10-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Folks, I saw a Ruger SP101 327 Federal Mag at the dealer recently and it looks like a really nice little snubbie.

I like the 3" barrel and the fact that it shoots a potent cartridge. The downside (I see) is that the rear sight is not height adjustable so it will probably shoot high with lighter loads (e.g. 32 H&R level loads or lighter). Plus I would need dies, brass, etc.

The nearest I have to it in terms of size/power is a hammerless J-frame 2" 5 shot 38 Spl +P. It's a fun little gun but with fixed sights is kind of difficult to shoot well at distance.

I am partial to Rugers as they are built like tanks, and with some new springs make very nice shooters.

On the other hand, the new SP101 22LR is looking very nice too...

Does anyone here have the SP101 327 Fed, and if so what do you think of it?

Bret4207
10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
First off, I don't own one. Second, Ruger has been handicapping the SP101 from the start with garbage for sights. That could be a very nice field gun with the option of real sights and longer barrels. The 327 is fine, but so is the 32 Mag and so was the 32 S+W Long. A Ruger with good sights would be a start. Then lose about 1/3 of the extra metal that guns carries and it's be even better. Then make it in blue as God intended. Then you'd almost have a perfect field carry gun.

Shooter6br
10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I have a Ruger SP101 in 32mag. I could get it reamed for 327Fed but dont see the need. i have a Ruger Blackhawk in 327 fed. i have used 32 auto, 32 long and 32 mag in it. The SP101 is a nice carried gun( bit heavy)

subsonic
10-07-2011, 08:28 AM
The way quality control is being handled at Ruger lately, I'm not buying anything new from them.

I have 2 friends that have purchased 3 new rugers in the past year between them. All 3 needed to go back to Ruger for repair. One was a 327 sp101 that locks up while firing from loose chambers and excessive headspace.

Guesser
10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I have two 327 chambered revolvers, neither is a Ruger. When I was looking for my first 327 I just couldn't warm to the SP-101, short barrel ,fixed sights, didn't feel good; and I own several other Ruger revolvers. I settled for a Charter Arms Target Patriot; it had a 4" barrel and adjustable sights and felt good in my hand, this summer I found a Taurus 327B2, used, I like Taurus and the price was right. I like the 327, I cast and load it for my guns. Both of my guns are fine revolvers and I like the cartridge.

wellfedirishman
10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Guys. Unfortuately the Taurus and Charter Arms revolvers are not available in CA (yet, if ever) so my choice is between Ruger GP100, SP101, and Smith Wesson 632 in 3" J frame.

I do like the Smith, but it is pricey ($663 shipped at Buds). The Ruger is about $465 shipped..

It looks like the front sight on the Sp101 327 Fed is not replaceable, is that correct? I see that HiViz makes fiber optic sights for other SP101s, but not the 327 Fed version.

Edit: I called Ruger this morning and they told me that the SP101 327 Fed front sight is not replaceable. Time to break out the orange paint...

Guesser
10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I neglected to mention that CA & Taurus have discontinued production of all models in 327 Federal magnum. Used market is only way now for either of the two brands.

wellfedirishman
10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting feedback, thanks. I wonder if this is just an unpopular cartridge?

A 32 H&R mag SP101 is nice, but I'd prefer something that can carry a bit more punch. The 327 is somewhat like the 30 carbine in terms of boolit size, powder charge, and power.

The Blackhawk 8-shot 327 Fed is very nice, but I want a smaller double action.

Edit: Found that JoeBob Outfitters has the S&W 632 327 Federal 3" 6rd Matte Stainless Steel on clearance for $499. Good deal.

Rafe Covington
10-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I have purchased 4 new revolvers in the last 12 months, all made by Ruger. I own 10 Ruger revolvers, never had to send one back except one [my stupidity]. Just got a 327 Blackhawk about 2 months ago, shoots great and very well made in my opinion. Of course I prefer the SA handgun myself. JMHO

Rafe:drinks:

MT Gianni
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I would love to see the 327 and 22 lr in a SP101 Beakert copy. 6" bbl with target sights would sell me two and probably a few other folks as well.

Bret4207
10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
They'd have to doa lot of trimming to get it down into the Beakert class. I know whay RUger does it, but I really wish they'd get an itch to produce some slim, trim guns.

KYCaster
10-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I've been lusting for a .327 for a while, but seems like money and opportunity can't seem to get their schedules coordinated. [smilie=b:

I saw a new SP101 in a shop in Bardstown about six months ago...price wasn't outrageous and I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. Looked like my itch was gonna be scratched....but...

I've never seen such a horrible finish on a stainless gun! The frame and barrel looked like they had cleaned up the casting on an 80 grit belt and called it good. The hammer and trigger looked like they had just ground the sprues off the castings and stuck them in the frame, with deep scratches on the left side of the hammer where it rubbed the frame. The frame had overlapping scratches running in several different directions. The cylinder had what looked to be about a 150 grit "finish", but the cylinder flutes hadn't been touched after the initial casting clean up.

The barrel/cylinder gap varied from ~.003 to well over .012. The "forcing cone" looked like a 45* chamfer relieved the lands and barely touched the grooves (a bit heavier on one side than the other). The crown had chatter marks and the front sight leaned a few degrees to the right.

A GP100, a Blackhawk and a Redhawk all looked very similar. I asked the salesman if that was typical of Ruger's current quality and he didn't have much to say about it.

I'm really tempted by a used SP101 in a local shop, but it's laying in the case between a SS Taurus .357 and S&W M60 and even though it's finished much better than the new ones I saw, it still looks like c**p compared to it's shelf mates.

So now I see that Bud's guns has a new Charter Arms Target model in .327 for the same price as the used Ruger, and I'm going to be in Lexington next week, so I think I'll stop in and take a look at one of them.

It's a crying shame that Ruger quality has come to that. I wonder what they're thinking.

Jerry