PDA

View Full Version : Little Crow Gunworks' Worlds Finest Trimmer

P.K.
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Anyone have one or experiance with one? Ive seen them twice now in various publications and before I drop the coin on one(or two) I wanted some unvarnished opinions. The reason for asking is that I do have a Lyman trimmer but I only use it for two cases right now .30-30 and 6.8 SPC. According to what I've read (2nd hand) this would greatly reduce my time over the Lyman.

P.K.
10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Anyone?

ReloaderFred
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I watched the video, and it looks simple and repeatable. The price of $69.95 per caliber put me off of it, though. That would be quite an investment for a large number of calibers. In my case, I load for eleven different rifle calibers, so it would cost me $769.45 for a trimmer in each caliber.

The concept looks good, but like I said, the price is a little stiff for me. I can see where it would work for someone who only loads for one or two calibers, though.

Hope this helps.

Fred

W.R.Buchanan
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't see this as being the solution to your problem. The tool indexes off the case shoulder. If your shoulder is not in the right place then it won't work right. IE you have to size all your cases first or you don't get a consistant length. I have Aircraft countersinking devices which work similar to this tool and they are nice to have around but have limited uses.

If you had 1000 cases to trim in one sitting then this tool could be a good way if used in a drill press or a mill. However there are many easier and cheaper ways to do this. And for shorter runs it is very hard to justify the cost of this tool. Especially when a Lee case trimmer will do the same job for $10 and can be motorized with a electric screwdriver or hand drill.

I use a collet closer fixture and a Lee case trimmer cutter, and I can do 4-5 cases a minute easy. With the other tool mounted in a drill press I can see how you could do 10 a minute, which is definately faster but that is only going to show up as a distinct advantage on a longer run of parts. If you are processing 100 cases at a time it would be the difference between 10 minutes and 20 minutes which is hard to justify the expenditure on a dedicated tool for 10 minutes time savings.

Just costs too much for what it does.

My .02

Randy

Ickisrulz
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't see this as being the solution to your problem. The tool indexes off the case shoulder. If your shoulder is not in the right place then it won't work right. IE you have to size all your cases first or you don't get a consistant length. I have Aircraft countersinking devices which work similar to this tool and they are nice to have around but have limited uses.

If you had 1000 cases to trim in one sitting then this tool could be a good way if used in a drill press or a mill. However there are many easier and cheaper ways to do this. And for shorter runs it is very hard to justify the cost of this tool. Especially when a Lee case trimmer will do the same job for $10 and can be motorized with a electric screwdriver or hand drill.

I use a collet closer fixture and a Lee case trimmer cutter, and I can do 4-5 cases a minute easy. With the other tool mounted in a drill press I can see how you could do 10 a minute, which is definately faster but that is only going to show up as a distinct advantage on a longer run of parts. If you are processing 100 cases at a time it would be the difference between 10 minutes and 20 minutes which is hard to justify the expenditure on a dedicated tool for 10 minutes time savings.

Just costs too much for what it does.

My .02

Randy

The Gracey and Giraud trimmers both index on the case shoulder and people seem to really like them even though they are very expensive. For sure these are for people that have lots of brass to process. This little "World's Finest Trimmer" may be the ticket for someone that has lots of one caliber to trim but doesn't want to spend 100's. I use the L.E. Wilson myself...just do a about 100 cases at a time and then quit. More time than money.

Fredx10sen
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I have the Forrester, L.E. Wilson and the big ol orange one from Lyman. They all have some good points and work pretty darn good.

Char-Gar
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I have seen them in print also. They look like a very expensive tool to do what we have been doing for generations with other and less expensive tools.

Jim_Fleming
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I have one... setup for 223 Remington.

They're billed as being adjustable for the entire family of 'calibers' in a given diameter of projectile.

It works exactly as advertised. I think I got my money's worth. But, we all know that no matter how you slice it? Case preparation sucks. Ugh!

LOL!

Sent from my Droid

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-22-2011, 02:01 AM
I have the RCBS Power Trimmer. It does about 8-10 cases a minute with normal stuff. I had to have a spud made for my 505 Gibbs. DR cases are problematic because of the skinny rim and sheer length.

A friend and I are looking at the Dillon for our two Zombie Rifle calibers and splitting the cost.

Rich

41 mag fan
10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I bought one for my 223. Works great, but after about 2500 rds trimmed my cutter is getting dull.

lbaize3
10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I've had one for 308 for over a year now. I can trim 1000 cases in about an hour. It does a great job and I like it better than any other trimmer I have used.

runfiverun
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
the best way to keep the trimmer sharp is to buy an extra.
i have trimmed well over 20k rounds on the original cutter in my dillon.
the only downside to the dillon is they don't make the 7x57 trimmer anymore.
they sold the last one to the guy that ordered it right before i did.
but for the 223 etc they are quick i just lube the cases trim [which sizes them too] and throw in the polisher before champhering the case mouth.
i use the cheapo lee c press [one that come with the lee book] to size/trim on.
i have to run the case over a button to open the neck back up though, unless i want extra neck tension.

popper
10-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Possum hollow makes a much less expensive trimmer which works like the one you are asking about. Yes, they trim based on the shoulder, but if your shoulder is off, you have problems other than trimming.

Hogwild45
01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Looking at the simplicity of this system just seems to tie into use of a quality Case Gauge (i.e. Wilson or Dillion Precision)

For proper adjustment of your full length sizer die on bottle neck brass case you really should use the Case Gauges to "confirm" proper set back of the bottle neck & etc.

When your brass is properly sized then the next step is the WFT to trim case length.

I believe this would give much more uniform ammo and uniformity is the name of the game if function and accuracy are important to you.

Very important in a semi-auto.

FWIW

MGySgt
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
FWIW -

If I am to shoot as much from my Black Rifle and a new 308 - I think the WFT's are the way to go when you buy range brass -

Resize and deprime - Trim than tumbel and load.

Trimming would probably not be necessary after the first time - Probably loose them before they strech enough to need trimming again. :)

So - Yes I am planning on buying at least one for the .223

Russel Nash
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I use the....errr....rather I used the Possum Hollow Cutters chucked in a corded drill.

You can watch how it works here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nDelSKf8

They are 25 bucks from MidwayUSA.com :

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=possum+hollow+cutter

You can chuck it into the drill just like that or you can use the tool holder:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/295771/possum-hollow-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-power-adapter

which is 10 bucks.

Since I have a Dillon 650 with a casefeeder, I splurged and bought the Dillon 1200 toolhead mounted trimmer. I haven't it used it yet, though.

I use the RCBS X-sizer die so I don't have to trim after every firing.

With the possum hollow cutter/trimmer/tool holder dealie-oh, what I do is chuck it into my corded drill. The drill is clamped up in my vise. I turn it on and set the trigger lock on, then I just feed cases into it. It probably takes less that 10 seconds to trim a case. The downside is that my fingers or my hand gets sore after a while from holding all those cases.

BoolitSchuuter
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
+1 on the Possum Hollow trimmer.
I just bought one to do mass quantities of 5.56 Mil brass. I chucked it up in my drill press. It took about 10 minutes to adjust it, then trim 100 cases to test it. I have two Lyman trimmers, one set up for outside neck turning. I will still use those for small quantities of the other calibers I shoot. I'm gonna get another P.H. trimmer for 7.62 Mil brass.:drinks:

Sonnypie
01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks good... Little Crow Gunworks (http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html)
Then you view the second video....

I can easily see where these can be staged to make something look better than another.

I even dug up the Possum Hollow Trimmers (https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/KWICK_CASE_TRIMMERS.html)

At least Darrell put a bearing on his.

I believe I will stick with my method, which so far has always given me good OAL, and has checked right with my Wilson Case Length Gauge.
I've never had much trouble with OAL. Especially now with Cast Boolits and the reduced loads.
And what trimming I do doesn't seem to make me want to reinvent the wheel.
YMMV

Russel Nash
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
since I used my possum hollow cutters in a handheld corded drill clamped in a vice...everything was horizontal...even though it had a little port that slings brass shavings, after about every third case, I would use a can of compressed air (like what you would use for blowing out computer keyboards) with a straw in the nozzle, to blow out any clogs or built up shavings.

it is or was kind of a very boring mind numbing process, and the noise from the drill motor made it even less entertaining.

so what I would do was stick my iPod's ear buds in my ears, and then put my regular shooting ear muffs over that.

at least that seemed to make the time pass by a little faster....made things seem less tedious.

if you chuck your cutter in a drill press, with everything being vertical I doubt you will have to worry so much about the thing getting clogged with shavings. I would just make it a habit to turn the case upside down and tap the mouth against the drill press table to knock out any loose shavings still inside the case.

montana_charlie
01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
In the video, the guy got good uniformity in case length while using the WFT. That proves all of the shoulders were the same distance from the head of the case.
In order for that to work, all cases must be sized in the same die, or fired in the same chamber.
If you are trimming once-fired that came from unknown rifles, you should probably size all of them first.

With the manual tool, he stated that case length is determined by distance between the mouth and the head. What he failed to mention is that length is determined by the distance from the mouth to the front of the rim.

If the rim thickness varies, head to mouth length will vary.

His cases came out of the manual trimmer with a wide variation. And he still doesn't know that measuring their rims may have told him why.

I had that trimmer when it was still made by Pacific, and got rid of it for the same reason.

CM

Russel Nash
01-17-2012, 01:58 AM
I use the Hornady Lock-n-Load tool that clips onto my digital calipers to make sure I bump the shoulders back far enough.

http://www.lafayetteshooters.com/assets/product_images/PAMCICEAGMDAMMJJ.jpg

popper
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I use the P-H trimmer. Works fine, just keep it cutting or it will get dull faster. I found my 30-30 cases get the shoulder blown forward so the cutter won't trim, but COAL is the same. - so, I don't trim much anymore.

Flinchrock
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
The Hornady Cam Lock trimmer indexes on the bottom of the case around the primer pocket.
Unless something slips, that distance to the cutter head will stay the same, if it is operated the same way each time.

The only way that guy in the video could have come up with those widely varying dimensions is on purpose, to sell his tool and knock Hornady's tool. If I was Hornady, I'd sue his ***!

I have just been sitting here now trimming a new batch of Starline .45 Colt brass to get the whole box of 1000 to the same length and square the case mouths and measuring every few cases with a Mitutoyo digital, every once in a while I have a case .0005 over, none under!!!

Yeah,,I'm using a Hornady cam lock trimmer!

koehn,jim
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I just use the lee case trimmer with the cutter chucked in a drill press and feed them with the shell holder, leave the press running the entire time on a slow speed. Than I put the chamfer tool in the press and de-burr the mouth its easy and cheap.

shooterg
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
The Lee is definitely cheapest way to go for a lot of calibers.
But ain't nobody taking my Gracey away from me for all the .223 I use in the evil black guns.