PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358156

scattershot
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I have an old Lyman mould for the 358156 boolit, and a box of Hornady 35 caliber gas checks, which are too small for the shank of the boolit. Am I using the wrong gas check, or is there something wrong with the mould? Could the alloy make a difference? I generally use WW metal to cast.

Appreciate any help.

9.3X62AL
10-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Gas check shanks on some Lyman moulds can run a little large for Hornady gas checks. My fix for this is to use a flaring tool, punch, or ball bearing of proper size to slightly spread the gas check edges a bit so that the check engages the shank with better fit. My own Ly 358156 has this same kink. No big thing to correct.

pmer
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I recently poured a batch of 358156s in air cooled wheel wieght and the shanks measure .346 The outside of my Horn gas checks measures about .363 With this batch the checks slip over the edge enough where they should go on OK.

An earlier bacth I ran was different because they slipped on no problem. I think the melt was cooler because I was having of mold fill issues.

scattershot
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I have used a flaring tool to spread the gas checks, but it is really a pain to add the extra step. Does anyone else make gas checks that I could try?

MakeMineA10mm
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes, there are "Gator checks".

Go to your private message screen, click on send-new-message, and type in "Blammer" in the recipient box. He will hook you up.

They're cheaper and better than Hornady's by all accounts. I haven't used them yet, because I'm still using up my Hornadys.