PDA

View Full Version : Will my Press hold up to swagging?

stealthshooter
10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I got this press from my Grandpa and I was wondering if it will work for swagging until I can get an actual swagging press? It's an old RCBS with JR2 on it.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20111005_204729.jpg

BLASTER62
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
That press will work real good, you could drill holes in the base for auto eject system?

Utah Shooter
10-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Heck yeah it will. As long as you can find dies for it you may never need a swage dedicated press.

Pavogrande
10-06-2011, 01:39 AM
It is an excellent press -- If you look sharp, at the rear of the top die flange there is the two digit date that it was made -- mine is "67"
It's only limitation is that it does not accept larger than 7/8" dies. I have never found that to be a problem.

stealthshooter
10-06-2011, 01:49 AM
That's GREAT news!! The press I bought is an RCBS Partner press and although it's a great press I'm just not sure it's up to swagging. Grandpa gave me this one this summer and it's been used very little and only to reload 250-3000. I looked on the Die surface and mine says 73 on it.

DukeInFlorida
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
DON'T DRILL ANY HOLES IN THAT PRESS.

The press will work fine. The weak "link" is the pin that connects the toggle lever to the bottom of the ram. If that breaks, get a Grade 8 bolt to fit it (5/16" size, I believe) Get the 5 1/2" long bolt, and cut the threads off. The unthreaded shoulder part will fit perfectly. Leave the hex head on. I have been running a similar press with the grade 8 bolt repair for a long time now.

Grandpas50AE
10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
If you try to swage jacketed bullets .30 Cal or larger, the ram face where the shell holder slides in will get deformed - had that happen to me once on a rock chucker press which is a little heavier duty than that one. I did use it for several years to swage 223 bullets and .44 zinc-washer based bullets, but long jacket .30 cal and above will probably bend the ram face.

williamwaco
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
RCBS = "Rock Chuck Bullet Swage"

You will never need another press for swaging or anything else.

And, you wll pass it on to your grandson.

Mntngoat
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
It will do fine as will the Lee Cast presses they are cheap too. I do all my core squirting on a Lee. If I painted it green it would get more respect but it makes great bullets.

I use this press for core seating and pointing up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Mntngoat/Firearms/DSC00006.jpg

ML

stealthshooter
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Just wait until you guys see what I have up my sleeve for this press!!

That's a very interesting press Mntngoat What is it?

stealthshooter
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Well I modded my press!! Now it should reload/swage at lightening speeds!!!!!

HEHEHE
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20111006_144143.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20111006_144110.jpg

DukeInFlorida
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
DukeInMaine predicts that you rip that press off the bench.
The conduit bracket won't help.

If you used lag screws, they will loosen. Through bolts are best, fender washers or a plate underneath.

The handle looks fine though. Hope the plating on that golf club doesn't start to peel and cut your hand.

stealthshooter
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
That's not a golf club it's a solid stainless steel shifter handle.those lag bolts are also 4" long ran into a 4x4 support under the table top but I'll keep an eye on them.

Pressman
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Caution when using a JR2. They have a weak spot in the handle. They came with a handle threaded with 1/2 inch threads. It will break at the shoulder under heavy loads like swaging. RCBS knows this and had a program to replace the handle and pivot block with a handle threaded for 9/16" threads. This is the same as used on the JR3.

Check your threads.
I need a 1/2 inch thread JR2 handle if anyone has one laying around.

Ken

Bambeno
10-09-2011, 06:21 AM
That B&M shifter is polished aluminium. It will leave dark spots on your hands in use from the polishing effects of it moving under pressure in your hand but it sure does looks nice : )
One thing about it if your lags bolts work loose you can always run bolts on through, just use good sized washers or flat metal to back them with.

stealthshooter
10-09-2011, 11:49 AM
That B&M shifter is polished aluminium. It will leave dark spots on your hands in use from the polishing effects of it moving under pressure in your hand but it sure does looks nice : )
One thing about it if your lags bolts work loose you can always run bolts on through, just use good sized washers or flat metal to back them with.

This one is not Aluminum it was a limited run of stainless steel shifters. They don't make them anymore. I ended up with 2 of them.

DukeInFlorida
10-10-2011, 07:37 AM
no matter that the shifter is made from, you know that ease of swaging has some to do with leverage, the longer the handle, the easier to swage.

The 1/2" thread handles are shorter than the 9/16" handles.

I had someone machine 1/2" threads on the end of 9/16" handle, to get more leverage, and have already bent the handle at the beginning of the threads, and that was using it for reloading, not swaging.

In my experience with the JR presses, the weak point is still the ram pin, which is replaceable with the grade 8 bolt.

Southron Sanders
10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I had a 7/8 x 14 die originally designed to be used on an "O" frame press like yours but with an adapter, I was using it in a Corbin Mighty Mite press which is basically a BIG press.

The die I was using was for swaging out .58 Minie Balls, consequently, the die had rather thin walls.

One evening the die literally "Exploded" when I pushed the handle all the way down during the compression stroke.

The "CRACK" of the die failing sounded to me like the "CRACK" of a 30-30 rifle going off! One piece of "Shrapnel" flew up, hit the inside of the tin roofing material on my shed and left a big dent in it.

Another piece of "Shrapnel" flew across the shed and imbedded itself in a wooden post that supports the roof. Fortunately none of the "Shrapnel" hit me.

My point: Your "O" frame die should be O.K. for swaging bullets in .45 caliber or smaller-just stay away from the .50's and larger as the die walls are just too thin.

Sonnypie
10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Unless that shifter handle has a big block attached, it just makes a nice place to glob on to.
Have fun!

Not often, but occasionally I will put on a cloth work glove to avoid sore spots or blisters.
Make sure you put some good lube on the pivots and ram so it can ease the force, and stop any wear.