PDA

View Full Version : Revolvers in .44 magnum, what say ye?

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
In spite of being next to dirt poor right now, I am thinking about marshalling the cash to buy a revolver. I do handguns a little, but long guns are my thing, so you folks would be a great help here.

From what I have gathered the Model 29 (or 629?) and the ruger super redhawk are good choices.

I envision this as an outdoors gun. I want power (although I will be doing a lot of shooting with reduced loads for a while, I am sure). I don't mind weight or size (I'm a large fella). I love things that are solid because things in my posession tend to be well-used. Not stuck on the caliber; for example, I would be more likely to get a .454 super redhawk and download it, because they seem to be cheaper than ones in .44.

Comments? Additions? Concerns? What say ye?

Trey45
10-05-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 44 magnum, if you don't mind a single action instead of a double action revolver, this is the one to buy in my opinion.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Gun%20Stuff/Boom1.jpg

Very accurate, I think it handles recoil better than any other single action I've fired, although some folks just don't cotton to a Bisley gripframe.

Dframe
10-05-2011, 04:56 PM
If you can find one, I'd buy a Colt Anaconda.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Actually I would like a double action revolver. But that sounds like a good suggestion, and that gun is slick!

You know, I had looked at the Anaconda, but those things are expensive! I can't afford a whole lot more than $800, and I can't find one in my price range.

Thanks for the replies, folks. What other comments are there?

Swampman
10-05-2011, 05:08 PM
A nice used Super Blackhawk with be a lot less expensive and the perfect gun for an outdoorsman.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
:shock: With prices like that I might start thinking about getting a single action revolver.

peter nap
10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
A nice used Super Blackhawk with be a lot less expensive and the perfect gun for an outdoorsman.

+1 on the Super Blackhawk.

I have a Redhawk, a 629, Backhawk, Taurus 444...and a couple of others but the Blackhawk gets more use than anything.

kbstenberg
10-05-2011, 05:34 PM
PB I personally went with the R.H. as a hunting gun. 7.5" barrel, Red Dot sight, 44mag. I am recoil shy so all my hunting loads are low- high velocity. Its all I want for hunting.
For carry I got a Taurus 441 in 44spcl for general carry.

Blammer
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I would recommend shooting (if you can) a few of the 44's your interested in.

the only one that won't 'bite' me when I shoot is the RSRH.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/ruger/DSCN6452.jpg

I was really wanting a ruger in 44mag, the black hawk and the super black hawk, the way the grip and trigger guard are made bit me every time. I had a wretched flinch because of it. So I did not get one.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
That's a good suggestion, Blammer. I don't know a lot of other gun guys in the area, but I'll ask around at the local gun shops and see about ranges with rentals or what have you.

Char-Gar
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Over the years, I have had more than a dozen 44 Magnum sixguns for various makes and never had a bad one. The 44 Magnum is a very friendly round and accurate loads are easy to find all up and down the power scale.

I just gave my old 29 to my son, so what I have left is a 1991 vintage 5" 629, which is the most accurate revolver I have ever held in my hand and a 1961 vintage Ruger Super Blackhawk which is also a great revolver.

I would second the recommendation for a Ruger SBH for a man wanting a good, accurate and reliable handgun for the woods, deserts or brush.

Hickory
10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I've been using the 629 with a truglo sight for 6-7 years.
http://www.fototime.com/E29C5AA8CD9C79A/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/E29C5AA8CD9C79A)
see link below.

http://www.fototime.com/E29C5AA8CD9C79A/medium.jpg

OBIII
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I have to post my + for the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Very accurate, adjustable rear sight, 7-1/2" bbl. I also have the matching Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt and .45 acp. Love them both.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Is there anything about the Super Blackhawk that makes it preferable to others in the "dependable in the out-of-doors" and accuracy departments? Lots of comments seem to be suggesting it.

In the mean time the girlfriend has officially rated the Super Blackhawk as "pretty", so it has that going for it... :)

scattershot
10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a 5 1/2" stainless Super Blackhawk. It's tough as nails, shoots anything I care to put through it, and is as dependable as a hammer. I like the SA Rugers because they are so strong and well built, and I shoot by cocking the hammer first anyway. Nothing wrong with a DA, but if you're going to use the pistol for knocking around, the SBH gets my vote.

Thumbcocker
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
A used SBH will get you where you need to be. I put hogues on mine others consider that sacrilege but it improves the shootabioity for me. My walking around SBH is a 4 5/8" one with an unfluted cylinder, hoges, Bowen rear sight and a belt mountain pin. It is ugly as home made sin but from a sitting backrested postion I can, on a good day, hit a soda can at 100 yards before the cylinder runs dry. A Keith boolit over 6.5 of red dot is a good woods walking load. It will handle hunting loads and I shoot a few most of the times I go to the range but the red dot load is a lot of shooting for the $.

In a simply rugged holster it carries easy and I have worn it all day while cutting firewood and not suffered too much. FWIW

ColColt
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
A good SA like the Ruger 44 is tops for just about anything. Been many a year since I've owned one but remember getting whacked in the knuckle by that Dragoon style trigger guard. This is the one I shoot now days and it's pretty accurate if I do my part and it doesn't cull any load within reason.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3990a.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I had a S&W M29 with 8 3/8" barrel once, and it was a good gun however the long barrel is just not necessary.

If I was in the market for another M29 it would be a stainless 629 and with a 4 or 6" barrel.

All that being said: I have a Ruger Super Black Hawk Bisley .44 That I shortened the barrel on to 5" and I just love the gun to death! It shoots better than my M29 ever did.

The Smiths hit the web of your hand really hard with full power loads. The grip on the Bisley distributes the recoil much more evenly IMHO./

Randy

white eagle
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I have to suggest the Blackhawk as well
specially the Bisley configuration Stainless Steel if you please
caliber 45 colt can put more weight down range and that is
what your down loaded 454 Casul is ,is a 45 colt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/a11.jpg

Trey45
10-05-2011, 07:37 PM
The Smiths hit the web of your hand really hard with full power loads. The grip on the Bisley distributes the recoil much more evenly IMHO./Randy

That has been my experience as well, but I won't limit it to just Smiths, but any double action revolver has that same characteristic where it smacks the web of your hand really hard.

ColColt
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I have no problem with the M29 except for one load...18.5 gr of 2400. It will smart the web of the hand but I've learned to hold down on the grip a bit and that helps a lot. The worse offender in this respect is the Thompson Contender in 44 Magnum. Now, if you're into pain, it's highly recommended.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm looking a bit harder at those super blackhawks now. I still kinda want something double action but the price is good and is getting a lot of great recommendations here.

One of the reasons I am looking at .44 is that I already have the loading dies - I got them when I had my reloading setup given to me by my 4-H leader.

EMC45
10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
SBH is my vote. I have one 7.5. They can be had cheap. Locally I just saw one for $300.

subsonic
10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Superblackhawk or Bisley would be my suggestion.

629 or 29 would be my next choice, but they will wear out faster than the Rugers and can't take quite the same level of loads. If you want to shoot 300gr boolits and heavier repeatedly, go with the rugers.

The strongest of them all are the Redhawks, but they just don't seem as refined and are larger than the others.

It all comes down to what you like.

BigRix
10-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Here is my vote. And they are available for under $800, just have to wait till the right deal comes along.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Anaconda/IMG_0134.jpg

ColColt
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
My, that's a big one.:mrgreen:

oscarflytyer
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Ruger SBH - BUT... Make sure and get a model with the ROUND trigger guard - NOT the square trigger guard! Or possibly a Bisley - but I have not shot one of those.

ian45662
10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a RSBH Bisley and have not owned any other 44 mag but I have shot a few and I LOVE it. I was kicking around the single and double debate and realized that I will most likely never use the double action trigger and with the wolf spring kit you can put in it the trigger pull is nice. I put a weaver scope on it and off the bench it will hit a clay bird @100 yards every time. If you can though I would try out as many as you can

TomBulls
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
:shock: With prices like that I might start thinking about getting a single action revolver.

Noth'n wrong with a single action. They work just as well. Besides, when do you plan on being required to shoot double action?

-thomas

tek4260
10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
And make the Super an OM :)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0342.jpg

Those Redhawks are hell for stout, but the trigger and I don't get along. But sometimes they come to you for under $300 and then the triggers seems okay even if the length doesn't. But that is easily remedied too...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2601.jpg

Much better in the end IMHO

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2645.jpg

30calflash
10-05-2011, 11:17 PM
+1 on the SBH. If the squared trigger guard isn't your thing a set of Pachmayrs will help a lot.
It was my first 44, a 4" 29 second. Great revolvers both, don't think I'd ever sell them.

scattershot
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Oscarflytyer beat me to it. The Super is available with a round triggerguard in both Bisley and Blackhawk (standard) grips. Avoid the Dragoon style triggerguard, it will hurt you.

98Redline
10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Another vote for the SBH, however I prefer the Bisley or Bisley Hunter variant.

The bisley grip frame really helps manage the recoil.

I don't like to shoot my 320gr loads out of my standard SBH with the dragoon gripframe, however I can shoot them all day long with the bisley.

A bonus is that the bisley has the rounded trigger guard so your knuckle will thank you.

For accuracy they are just superb. My SBH Bisley hunter will easily do 6 to 6.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards (supported my forearms on the bench). I am sure the gun is more accurate than that, but it is the loose nut behind the trigger that is the limiting factor.

Looking around the local shops today here is what I found:

BH Bisley .45LC : $415
SBH 7.5" Blued: $315
SBH 7.5" SS: $400

All guns were used but in like new condition.

9.3X62AL
10-06-2011, 12:13 AM
I have a Redhawk in 44 Mag x 5.5", and it is a fine revolver that can soak up a lot of the caliber's recoil with its heft. If a second 44 Magnum revolver is considered, I would make it a Bisley Blackhawk to match the 357 and 45 Colt BisHawks already in the safe. I suspect the Ruger 77/44 will be the next 44 Mag at my house, though--unless Marlin gets their act together and starts shipping decent products.

My opinion, FWIW--the S&W 29-series are very fine revos, but are at their best with loads running no stronger than 240 grainers @ 1200 FPS. The Ruger rollerpistols have no such limitations.

Dale53
10-06-2011, 01:36 AM
MY hunting guns are a Model 29 S&W with 8 3/8" barrel and a Ruger Red Hawk with a 7½" barrel. Both are scoped. I have Pachmayr grips on them both and recoil is no longer a problem, PERIOD!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-2.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-2-3.jpg

I also have a 629 PC with 7½" barrel:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QDalesRevolversandPistols-1728.jpg

These scoped guns will pretty much stay on a playing card at 100 yards with full .44 Magnum loads (250 gr Keith with 24.0 grs of H110).

I can also highly recommend that Ruger Super Black Hawk in you wish an iron sighted gun. Mine is equipped with Pachmayr grips, also, - no recoil problem after those were installed.

Dale53

Matthew 25
10-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I also think the SRH is a choice one cannot go wrong with. I like single actions myself, but you can sure unload a double faster. Don't overlook a standard Redhawk either -plenty of folks prefer them. If you like big and durable a Ruger is for you.

PrimitiveBeasty
10-06-2011, 03:13 AM
That's exactly why I was looking at a double action - I want to be able to put a lot of lead out if any large mean animal decided to have its way with me or mine. You know, just in case.

It's pretty much certain I'm going to settle on one of those Rugers. Just got to decide... And scrape my money together.

Thanks for the input fellas! I would of course appreciate anything else you all have to say.

Lloyd Smale
10-06-2011, 06:17 AM
best advice given

subsonic
10-06-2011, 06:32 AM
I know a lot of people have trouble with the square backed trigger guard, but I don't and a lot of other people don't. It's a fitment issue and can be cured with new grips if it happens. Changing the way you hold it can also be the solution. Large handed people seem to have the most trouble, followed by those that hold them loosely.

tek4260
10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
While you are looking at 44's

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/s-w-329pd-info

Bret4207
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
If money was semi-tight or really tight (my normal situation) I'd be looking for a Bisley Blackhawk 5.5", used if possible. I'm not a SA fan, but the Ruger is solid and tough as nails. The Blackhawks aren't stupidly heavy and large like some on the RH platform and the Bisley grip is great for recoil. And I'd buy blued, partly because they tend to run a couple bucks cheaper, but mostly because guns are supposed to be blued!

My first choice would be a 4" Smith 29 loaded with a Keith 421429 to about 1100-1150 fps. That will do anything I will ever need out to as far as I can see to hit.

44man
10-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Rated by accuracy, SRH first, SBH Hunter next and then SBH. You just can't get any better.
Before you buy a Bisley, find one to shoot first, I don't like them. I refuse to recommend either grip, it is a love-hate thing and is about a 50% deal.
The Bisley not only hurts my hand and knuckle but are sensitive to hold. As you creep around it to minimize pain, groups will move and open.
A SBH with Pachmeyer grips is where I live. That will cover 100% of shooters but there are those that swear by the Bisley even when they shoot my guns better.
I shoot hunting loads up to 330 gr boolits in my .44 so I don't want any pain. I shoot 20 shots from a Bisley and quit but can shoot 200 from my SBH.

Whitworth
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Rated by accuracy, SRH first, SBH Hunter next and then SRH. You just can't get any better.
Before you buy a Bisley, find one to shoot first, I don't like them. I refuse to recommend either grip, it is a love-hate thing and is about a 50% deal.
The Bisley not only hurts my hand and knuckle but are sensitive to hold. As you creep around it to minimize pain, groups will move and open.
A SBH with Pachmeyer grips is where I live. That will cover 100% of shooters but there are those that swear by the Bisley even when they shoot my guns better.
I shoot hunting loads up to 330 gr boolits in my .44 so I don't want any pain. I shoot 20 shots from a Bisley and quit but can shoot 200 from my SBH.

How come you rated the SRH first and third for accuracy????? Sorry, I'm confused. Was third supposed to be SBH? I think you can't go wrong with any of the Rugers listed particularly from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint.

44man
10-06-2011, 09:46 AM
How come you rated the SRH first and third for accuracy????? Sorry, I'm confused. Was third supposed to be SBH? I think you can't go wrong with any of the Rugers listed particularly from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint.
OOOPS, clicked the wrong letter, I will edit.

cbrick
10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I was really wanting a ruger in 44mag, the black hawk and the super black hawk, the way the grip and trigger guard are made bit me every time. I had a wretched flinch because of it. So I did not get one.

Try Pachmeyer grips on the SBH, solved the "biting" problem for me.

I have to suggest the Blackhawk as well, specially the Bisley configuration Stainless Steel if you please. Caliber 45 colt can put more weight down range and that is what your down loaded 454 Casul is, a 45 colt

Yep, I recently picked up a stainless 7 1/2" Blackhawk converted to a bisely via the kit Brownells sells. I've just started working on loads for it and so far it appears it will exceed my expectations.

Unless your going out for dangerous game where the 454 is a good idea the Colt will give you all your likely to ever need. It has a good reputation for accuracy and can also be loaded down should you want.

Rick

Silver Jack Hammer
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I have owned 3 Model 29's, 2 Ruger Super Blackhawks and one Super Redhawk. The only one I own now is the Ruger Super Blackhawk. A double action .44 magnum is an oxy-moron. The recoil of the .44 magnum makes true double action fire ineffective. The recoil sends the barrel skyward positioning the hammer of the Super Blackhawk in the ideal location to hook your thumb over the hammer and cock it again for the next shot just as quick as any double action. My Smiths got shot loose with 240 gr magnum loads. The grips got loose, timing opened up the cylinder lock up. My Super Redhawk digested a steady diet of 300 gr. bullets and asked for more. For carrying, the Super Blackhawk is lighter, the sights are closer to the top of your hand than the Super Redhawk. If you are looking at reduced load shooting and carrying, get the Ruger SBH. If you want a tank that is going to hang together with a lot of heavy loads, get the Super Redhawk. If you want double action shooting at load levels below the .44 magnum, then the Model 29 is a good gun. My loads are 240 gr lead at 1150 fps.

winelover
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I have owned 3 Model 29's, 2 Ruger Super Blackhawks and one Super Redhawk. The only one I own now is the Ruger Super Blackhawk. A double action .44 magnum is an oxy-moron. The recoil of the .44 magnum makes true double action fire ineffective. The recoil sends the barrel skyward positioning the hammer of the Super Blackhawk in the ideal location to hook your thumb over the hammer and cock it again for the next shot just as quick as any double action. My Smiths got shot loose with 240 gr magnum loads. The grips got loose, timing opened up the cylinder lock up. My Super Redhawk digested a steady diet of 300 gr. bullets and asked for more. For carrying, the Super Blackhawk is lighter, the sights are closer to the top of your hand than the Super Redhawk. If you are looking at reduced load shooting and carrying, get the Ruger SBH. If you want a tank that is going to hang together with a lot of heavy loads, get the Super Redhawk. If you want double action shooting at load levels below the .44 magnum, then the Model 29 is a good gun. My loads are 240 gr lead at 1150 fps.

:goodpost: Except you fail to include the Redhawk in your comparison. Double action is not an oxymoron! You get the best of both worlds. Single if you prefer, double if you deem necessary. Another minus for the single actions is that they take forever to load and unload.(Not to mention after market base pins are sometimes required to prevent recoil related failures) [smilie=w:The SRH is heavy as well as butt-ugly. :holysheep The Smith's will not hold up to the pounding from the 300+ grainers that most posters on this site favor. :violin: The RH's are tough enough for all sane loadings will last your lifetime but are still swelt enough for a belt holster.

Winelover:popcorn:

Shuz
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I shoot my .44mags a great deal and out of my stable of 10 revolvers in this caliber, the ones I like best are my Smith 629DX with a 5" bbl and a Ruger KSBH with a 5.5" bbl. I really like bbls of 5 or 5.5" because I think they exhibit the best balance in a handgun.

cbrick
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
My Smiths got shot loose with 240 gr magnum loads. The grips got loose, timing opened up the cylinder lock up.

Precisely why it's rare to see S&W at the silhouette range, when you do it's usually a new shooter that brought what he had along with a box of factory ammo. Silhouetter's normally put a lot of ammo through their guns and the Smith's just don't seen to stand up to it.

Tell that to a real S&W lover and they get all indignant but facts is facts.

Rick

44man
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Precisely why it's rare to see S&W at the silhouette range, when you do it's usually a new shooter that brought what he had along with a box of factory ammo. Silhouetter's normally put a lot of ammo through their guns and the Smith's just don't seen to stand up to it.

Tell that to a real S&W lover and they get all indignant but facts is facts.

Rick
The S&W is too grip sensitive also.

W.R.Buchanan
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
One of the things I do with respect to preventing the knuckle biting problem is to hold the gun farther down the grip.

I figured this out on my own as I couldn't seem to draw the gun and get the same hold twice in a row.

The solution was to index my hand off the bottom of the grip using my little finger at the bottom as the index point and that way your middle knuckle is well below the trigger guard..

It also helps with recoil control as your support hand is father down the grip and when you get your support hand thumb over the top, and locked down on top of your strong hand thumb you get a repeatable grip that has about as much recoil management as is possible with this style revolver.

Incidentially Jerry Michilek showed me the locked thumb part of the grip at the SHOT Show last year and it works really well for me. Prior I was just resting my thumb on top of the strong thumb sticking up in the air like I do with my auto pistols.

Randy

Swampman
10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
The Ruger double actions are just too big and heavy for me. I prefer the 4 3/4" Ruger single actions. The S&Ws are nice and handy if you can afford one.

Any big bore handgun shooter should wear a glove. Bob Milek showed me how.

Heavy lead
10-06-2011, 09:35 PM
The Ruger double actions are just too big and heavy for me. I prefer the 4 3/4" Ruger single actions. The S&Ws are nice and handy if you can afford one.

Any big bore handgun shooter should wear a glove. Bob Milek showed me how.

I agree with gloves, even if it's a 100 degrees out, I buy a size too small and stretch them, simple thin leather gloves, cut half the fingers off. They help me immensly, then use oversize fat wood grips.
I find all double actions grip sensitive, unless you install Herrett's Jordan stocks on it, whoever thought double actions need that notch to whack the heck out of your web must be into pain, I want that area smooth without a notch for the web to take all the recoil.

Alan in Vermont
10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Try Pachmeyer grips on the SBH, solved the "biting" problem for me.

Having shot a SBH for many thousands of rounds I have to agree with that. There is a filler at the top of the grip that keeps you from getting bit by the trigger guard. I never had an issue with that but I know some folks do.

The SA grip design lets the gun rotate upward in your hand under recoil. Don't try to fight it with a death grip, let the barrel rise and ride it out. Far less punishing than recoil on a Smith, the only other 44 I have ever fired, which comes right back into your hand/wrist. The Smith has a better SA trigger than the SBH does but that can be pretty well fixed with not too much effort. There is a 2 minute trigger job for a "new model" Ruger SA, just take off a grip panel and unhook one side of the trigger spring.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Winelover, I did not fail to mention the Redhawk. This post answers a man's question. I have never owned a Redhawk.

Matthew 25
10-07-2011, 02:05 AM
I used to believe that I (really cool guy) could unload my 4 5/8" SBH in the same amount of time as my buddy (really lame guy) could unload his 6" 29.
So we shot an IPSC target at about 10 feet as fast as possible on the clock. Gun out of holster at the ready, I shot both times.
Single action: 4.7 seconds
Double action: 2.2 seconds
These were the same full house loads.
Does it matter? Probably not, but unloading a full house double action 44 ASAP is pretty fun.

HDS
10-07-2011, 04:45 AM
I would look at an older 29 myself, 6" barrels are my preference.

This is mine and if not for the factory defects you get in modern S&Ws it would be the perfect gun. I still have hopes to turn it into just that after I send it to a gun smith:
http://i55.tinypic.com/9apdtj.jpg

HDS
10-07-2011, 04:46 AM
629 or 29 would be my next choice, but they will wear out faster than the Rugers and can't take quite the same level of loads. If you want to shoot 300gr boolits and heavier repeatedly, go with the rugers.

It can't be that bad. Hickok45 has a model 29 with a round count of 70,000 IIRC, it got sent to S&W for service then and is now good to go again.

RKJ
10-07-2011, 05:45 AM
If you want a 29/629 try the combat grips, mine came with a set and they really tame that web of your hand bite. Also, as I've gotten wiser (older) :0 I don't shoot EK's load of 22 grains of 2400 any more. That is a crazy load, plus my 629 sure didn't like it (at all)

John Ross
10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
MAKE SURE you like the way a heavy-recoiling single action feels when it goes off before you buy a SBH or any other single cation in .44 or larger caliber. Some of us HATE the way a SA feels under heavy recoil.

I won't bother to tell you what my recommendation would be...

44man
10-07-2011, 12:46 PM
MAKE SURE you like the way a heavy-recoiling single action feels when it goes off before you buy a SBH or any other single cation in .44 or larger caliber. Some of us HATE the way a SA feels under heavy recoil.

I won't bother to tell you what my recommendation would be...
So true with all of the different hands and everything else.
I love the hog leg with good grips and even the .500 JRH is pleasant to shoot. The Bisley in a .44 just plain hurts the back of my hand and my knuckle. NO WAY IT WILL EVER BE ON A HARD KICKER!
Some DA's are MEAN but I found the SRH easy. Actually, I like a DA better then a Bisley. Even a S&W is OK with me.
You must NEVER let a hog leg "ROLL" in the hand. It must be held tight and controlled. Your grip must not change during recoil. Those with weak hands need the Bisley to reduce "roll" and thump straight back. In the end, the Bisley might cause more hand and wrist damage to you.
I said before that 50 to 100 rounds from my .475 and .500 JRH equals 12 shots with a .44 Bisley.
I am the least recoil sensitive as you can get and continued to hit a gallon jug at 200 yards with my knuckle cut to shreds and blood spraying with every shot. But I am not stupid enough to keep it up without a cure. It was not my gun and I explained to the fellow how to fix it.
The love affair with Bisley confuses me. It was made for light load, one hand shooting to get sights better in line. It was never made for recoil as at the time there was no recoil.

tek4260
10-07-2011, 05:04 PM
So is the Dragoon really getting that many fingers? Wasn't it designed to keep that from happening after complaints about the original flat tops with their XR3 grip frames in 44?

Swampman
10-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I've never had the Dragoon grip frame touch my fingers. I don't know why it would.

Whitworth
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
So true with all of the different hands and everything else.
I love the hog leg with good grips and even the .500 JRH is pleasant to shoot. The Bisley in a .44 just plain hurts the back of my hand and my knuckle. NO WAY IT WILL EVER BE ON A HARD KICKER!
Some DA's are MEAN but I found the SRH easy. Actually, I like a DA better then a Bisley. Even a S&W is OK with me.
You must NEVER let a hog leg "ROLL" in the hand. It must be held tight and controlled. Your grip must not change during recoil. Those with weak hands need the Bisley to reduce "roll" and thump straight back. In the end, the Bisley might cause more hand and wrist damage to you.
I said before that 50 to 100 rounds from my .475 and .500 JRH equals 12 shots with a .44 Bisley.
I am the least recoil sensitive as you can get and continued to hit a gallon jug at 200 yards with my knuckle cut to shreds and blood spraying with every shot. But I am not stupid enough to keep it up without a cure. It was not my gun and I explained to the fellow how to fix it.
The love affair with Bisley confuses me. It was made for light load, one hand shooting to get sights better in line. It was never made for recoil as at the time there was no recoil.

Your lack of love for the Bisley confuses me......

Silver Jack Hammer
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
44man, The men of the Army and Colt were fighting men and the design of Colt single action grip was forged out of the experiences of bloody battles. The grip was designed to allow the gun to roll the barrel skyward in the hand under recoil. This beats sending the recoil up the arm and also positions the gun ready to be cocked for the subsequent shot.

Primativebeasty asked about a 44 mag in Model 29 (or 629?) and the ruger super redhawk. He wanted an outdoors gun, powerful. He said he don't mind weight or size and wanted something solid so it could be well used.

I shoot single actions all the time. Here we are arguing about how to hold a single action. We should start a new thread on the proper way to hold a single action off of Primativebeasty's thread. We are not addressing his question. Or are enjoying this too Primativebeasty?

Winelover, you mention how long it takes to load and unload a SA. Well our local law enforcement just had a shooting. One bad guy and many officers. The bad guy started shooting and the officers fired 60 rounds. The bad guy died with 5 hits. The officers had weapons with a very high rate of fire and the bad guy had 900 rounds on him that didn't do him any good. In the end it was simply a matter of a couple of hits. Clint Smith says make your first shot the last shot of the shooting.

44man
10-08-2011, 09:37 AM
44man, The men of the Army and Colt were fighting men and the design of Colt single action grip was forged out of the experiences of bloody battles. The grip was designed to allow the gun to roll the barrel skyward in the hand under recoil. This beats sending the recoil up the arm and also positions the gun ready to be cocked for the subsequent shot.

Primativebeasty asked about a 44 mag in Model 29 (or 629?) and the ruger super redhawk. He wanted an outdoors gun, powerful. He said he don't mind weight or size and wanted something solid so it could be well used.

I shoot single actions all the time. Here we are arguing about how to hold a single action. We should start a new thread on the proper way to hold a single action off of Primativebeasty's thread. We are not addressing his question. Or are enjoying this too Primativebeasty?

Winelover, you mention how long it takes to load and unload a SA. Well our local law enforcement just had a shooting. One bad guy and many officers. The bad guy started shooting and the officers fired 60 rounds. The bad guy died with 5 hits. The officers had weapons with a very high rate of fire and the bad guy had 900 rounds on him that didn't do him any good. In the end it was simply a matter of a couple of hits. Clint Smith says make your first shot the last shot of the shooting.
I am afraid I would laugh at you if you let my .45 Vaquero with my loads, the .475 or the .500 JRH "roll" in your hand! :holysheep I do have a hard hat if you come to shoot.
That stuff might work with the old BP loads but they had no recoil to start with.
I have seen the barrel from a .44 stop 1" from a guys head, scared the pants off him and he refused to shoot it again.
Hammer closer with "roll?" Try it, hold your six gun high and see if it helps you cock it. I think you will still need to shift your grip.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-08-2011, 01:50 PM
You are shooting a recoil level way above mine, no doubt. And you can laugh at me anytime. Handing a firearm to others and causing them to be afraid to shoot again does nothing to promote our sport. The NRA teaches we do a disservice to others when we hand them a firearm they are untrained for. None of this changes history, and the design of the single action grip. I have killed my fair share of steel rams, turkeys, pigs and chickens with large bore handguns and I have seen many animals and people shot with various guns including large bore handguns. Primativebeasty never asked any of us about a single action. I offered my personal experience with Model 29’s and the SRH, and why I went with the SBH.

EDK
10-08-2011, 02:58 PM
So is the Dragoon really getting that many fingers? Wasn't it designed to keep that from happening after complaints about the original flat tops with their XR3 grip frames in 44?

The DRAGOON MAY nail you in the knuckles; the XR3 (and XR3-red) defiinitely will. I finally got a BISLEY after years of the DRAGOON...about half my shooters are BISLEYS now. A couple years back I got HUNTER grip frames and liked them on Original Size VAQUEROS in 357 and 44. Recently I've added SUPER BLACKHAWK hammers with the HUNTER grip frames and really like them. It is now a toss-up between the BISLEY versus the HUNTER with SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer.

My current loads are the MIHEC clone of 429421 and OLD WEST BULLET MOLDS clone of 429352 with 7.5 of HERCO.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

44man
10-08-2011, 06:03 PM
You are shooting a recoil level way above mine, no doubt. And you can laugh at me anytime. Handing a firearm to others and causing them to be afraid to shoot again does nothing to promote our sport. The NRA teaches we do a disservice to others when we hand them a firearm they are untrained for. None of this changes history, and the design of the single action grip. I have killed my fair share of steel rams, turkeys, pigs and chickens with large bore handguns and I have seen many animals and people shot with various guns including large bore handguns. Primativebeasty never asked any of us about a single action. I offered my personal experience with Model 29’s and the SRH, and why I went with the SBH.
But my .44 only had 240 gr bullets in it. The guy was experienced with a .357 and I told him how to hold the gun. Yet, it rotated in his hands. Scared me too.
You just don't hold any revolver loose and let it slip in your hands.
Many come to shoot here and some have .454's but refuse to shoot my large guns. Those that will do very well with them because they listen about using a good, tight grip.
"Roll" is for bowling, not shooting.
One friend likes to hold his handguns loose and it cost him a split head and a huge black eye. yet he never quit and did very well after that.
It only takes a few words---HOLD IT TIGHT! It takes strength to shoot the big ones and some can not do it. But they buy a 4", .500 S&W!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pmer
10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
There are some nice pics in this thread. IMO hand guns are like shoes "you can't have just one". Try and wiggle in a nice used 38 special or 357 while your at it. There are a bunch of 4 inch K frames out there that need a home too. You get twice as many boolits per pound which means more practicing too.

Stand a 45 Colt next to a 44 Mag and see how much bigger the Colt is. :redneck:

wellfedirishman
10-09-2011, 02:44 AM
PrimitiveBeasty, for your first solid hunting 44 Mag I add another vote for the Ruger SuperBlackhawk.

I find it pleasant to shoot, even with hunting loads. It is accurate, solid, and can take some very high power loads. You can pick them up used in the $350 range in decent condition. If it gets dinged or bluing worn from hunting, it is not something to get too upset about. No disrespect intended to Ruger (I have several of them and love them), it is a work/utility gun.

The Smith model 29 or 629 is a great double action target or light-medium hunting revolver, but they are not as sturdy as a Ruger. I have a Smith & Wesson model 29 I purchased used that the former owner used as a hunting gun, and the timing is a bit loose from shooting lots of hunting loads. Of course S&W can repair it under warranty, which is fine.

With a bit of practice, you can learn to shoot a single action very fast. Cowboy Action shooters demonstrate this every day, search on Youtube for examples.

big dale
10-09-2011, 03:03 AM
I too am a fan of the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have always loved the single actioned revolvers. I far prefer the old models, just never did get used to the new models without the half cock notch. I tried a couple of those and went back to the old models. The only one I have left now has the barrel shortened to the end of the ejector rod. I guess I should start looking for another old model and leave that one with the 7.5 inch barrel.

Back in the 70's I wore out a couple of S&W model 29 and 57's...they had great triggers, but I kept stretching the frames with normal equivalent to factory loads.

You might consider one of the older Redhawks. I seem to prefer the blued models with the 5.5 inch barrels. You might pick up one of them and put about 10 thousand rounds thru it to see if you like it. I have given both my 44 and 41 to friends who needed them more than I did. I have put the Pachmeyer "Gripper" grips on all of my Redhawks and also the Super Redhawk. They work for me.

I now also have one of the Super Redhawks with the 7.5 inch barrel and have still not made up my mind whether I will keep that one or not. At this point I only have abolut 7500 rounds thru it. I must be getting old, but I still haven't warmed up to liking the stainless steel in my handguns.

I will warn you that you could become hooked on shooting 44's...I know I sure did, but I also love the 41 Magnum almost as well.

Just go ahead and buy a 44 and be prepared to have this goofy grin on your face when you shoot it for the next few decades.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

aaalaska
10-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I have the 44 RH 7 1/2 in and love it ,been with me for years. But picked up a SRH in 454, and while it hasn't won me over yet ,I can see where this could be a great gun, the ability to shoot the 45 colt thru it makes it an everyday shooter. When my sons started looking for their first pistols , they had used all my guns ,one went with a RH 44 ,the other with the SRH in 454, neither has said anything about changing their minds. But each weighed their reasons for having a pistol and I think made the right choices for each.My oldest picked the 44, he carries it while trail running and mostly hi encounters moose, with only an occasional bear. The youngest chose the 454, he spends as much time in the woods as he can and the areas he & his wife spend time in have more bears than moose, or anything else. And his desire was power, and the 45 colt allows him to shoot enough to stay proficient .So if you feel you need a pistol weigh what you want to do with it against what the round should do. If your getting one for fun and a little hunting ,well pick one and have fun.

Thumbcocker
10-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Regarding the Bisley grip frame. The Ruger BIsley is not a true Bisley frame which had a pronounce hook annd skinny top area. Skeeter Skelton wrote that he had input on the grip shape in a conversation with Mr. Ruger. He felt that the recoil would be more straight back into the hand. That is my experience. I am a Bislye lover. Many are not so be sure to shoot one before you buy.

mtgrs737
10-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I used to shoot a friends TC Contender Super 14" in 35 Remington, with his custom silhouette loads, 200gr & 250gr as I recall. Either one would put a new crease in my hat. It was all I could do, full concentration to keep that gun down. It was a sub MOA pistol though, very accurate. Why don't they recoil down, then I could put a pole under it.
The 44 magnum barrel & silhouette loads was nothing compared to that. This was the original Contender and it comes up and back at you, at least in my hands.

I used to own a SBH until it bit me with the hammer and the square trigger guard, got rid of it as I developed a flinch. I also shot a Contender in 30-30 and it would recoil hard enough that it hurt with 150 grain bullets. A pair of Pachmyr grips with the covered back strap solved that issue with the contender. I liked the SBH but didn't shoot it well.

badbob454
10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
i went for the ruger super redhawk in 454 casull it shoots the popular 45 colt also , for easy loads.. it can withstand 60,000 psi in the 454 casull load .. a formitable foe for the 44 mag, i went away from the super blackhawk for ease of refilling my ammo (too slow) the redhawk ejects out 6 in a half second and then 6 seconds later is full of new ammo , also a charging porker ... i would want a double action !! you will never want any more gun than this and it can be loaded down to very mild loads also...

luvtn
10-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I've had a .44 mag in a SA Vaquero. It was pretty, fit in a cowboy holster nicely,but was a PITA to load and unload plus only had fixed sights. I now have a Red hawk with a 4 inch barrel that is DA. I love it dearly. Good luck in your quest.
lt

cuzinbruce
10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I have two Smiths, a 29 and a 629. Both came fairly reasonable. I tend to shot a lot and do most of it double action. Also much quicker to load and empty with the swing out cylinder. As mentioned before, the hump at top of the grip does recoil, but it has to be there for the double action. But check them all out and go with whatever feels best for you.

Wilsknife
10-13-2011, 12:29 AM
SW 629 Good Stuff Maynard!
Found all the Ruger DA 44s to be nose heavy, at it didn't matter the length of the barrel.

As you go through life you are going to have many opportunities to keep your mouth shut. Take advantage of all of them.

Wilsknife
10-13-2011, 12:40 AM
How many thousands of rounds does it take to 'wear out' a 629? And how many have you worn out?

Superblackhawk or Bisley would be my suggestion.

The strongest of them all are the Redhawks, but they just don't seem as refined and are larger than the others.

It all comes down to what you like.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
The Model 29 has experienced many changes down through the years. One I had was manufactured in the late 60's before Dirty Harry. It was beautiful but it failed me. Certainly purchasing a brand new one would be stronger. The wood grips start to get loose right away due to recoil. I had two 6Then there is the question of how much pressure are you going to put through it. 629's manufactured in the early 80's. Smith made a bunch of junk back in the early 80's, as did many other gun and auto manufactures. I was not satisfied with their quality. Smith is making high quality products now. 240 gr lead at 1150 fps is a good load, yet below standard pressure for the .44 magnum. I would bet a new Model 29 could take quite a bit of those rounds and Brian Pearce has killed elk with that load. Still if I were planning a steady diet of 300 grain high pressure boolits, I'd stick to the Ruger. The Ruger is simply stronger. I had the Super Redhawk and it was great, but Ruger did not have the variety of interchangeable front sights to choose from the Redhawk offered.

How many rounds? Gun manufacturers say most customers fire their guns less than 500 rounds.
That is the number gun manufactures are aware of when they build a product for sale.

The question is not should you get the Smith or the Ruger, rather, which one do you get first. I'd want to buy new, especially in the Smith. Yesterday the gun shop had both the Smith 629 and the Redhawk, the prices were comparable.

subsonic
10-13-2011, 02:39 PM
How many thousands of rounds does it take to 'wear out' a 629? And how many have you worn out?

I can't tell you how many rounds it will take and I haven't worn mine out yet shooting mostly starting loads and .44 specials, but there is a reason there are "Ruger Only" loads. The rugers are stronger. Does it matter since most guns are on the box a year diet or doing 20 to life in a sock drawer or safe? Depends.

44man
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I bought my first 29 in 1956 along with my BH. Since then I have owned 5 or 6 29's. All were shot with 240 to 250 gr boolits with max loads of 2400 and near max with 296. Hundreds of thousands of shots with zero wear or damage.
I only sold them off because they proved grip sensitive for me and the funny front silhouette sights did not work. Neither did the TC front silhouette sights on the contender.
I still like the guns but for real heavy boolits, I will always use a Ruger.
Yes, I bought many of my 29's from silhouette shooters that could not make them shoot, neither could I because a grip hold change would move POI a lot. I no longer own one but I never harmed one of mine either. We did with Whitworth's gun after shooting boolits too heavy but it was an easy fix. I found 265 gr boolits should be the stop point.
We used to put cardboard in the center of old tires, roll them down a hill and shoot double action at them, over and over, taking turns. Nothing to go through 500 rounds at a time. All of us would have checkered hands! :veryconfu Never harmed a gun.
I don't know what you need to do to stretch a frame. Could shooting max loads of fast powder do it? I don't know, I never did.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
According to Handloader magazine the SRH and the RH are stronger than the SBH. The Model 29 is not at strong as the SBH. They cite lab tests under controlled environments which support the casual observer measuring the cylinder thickness with a caliper. Personally I can't imagine blowing up any of them.

I wouldn't imagine a Model 29 or any of them suffering from a stretched frame. Like fighter aircraft worth billions of dollars that crash usually because of some $25.00 servo that failed, guns fail because of some smaller part. One Model 29 cut high pressure gas into my support hand thumb. Ouch, I thought the barrel cylinder gap was excessive but it was not. Come to find out it was unlocking on me under recoil. The frame and cylinder worth hundreds of dollars held held but the pawl spring worth pennies failed. It was an old gun, I bought it used, who knows what gunsmiths had done to it previous to my acquiring it. I took it to Mr. Sell It and converted it's value to something that shoots. Yes, I warned the buyer of the problem and told him he was buying a '57 Chevy not a new Impala and be aware that something is wrong. Beautiful gun with "coke bottle" grips, pinned barrel and recessed cylinders. All over rated in my opinion. I would not hesitate buying a new Model 29 right now. I have toured the Smith and Wesson plant and they are tops. Still personally my first love is my blued 3 screw SBH. Now if Colt would only make the Anaconda is the proper material; carbon steel, I would have to buy one of those.

44man
10-15-2011, 10:14 AM
According to Handloader magazine the SRH and the RH are stronger than the SBH. The Model 29 is not at strong as the SBH. They cite lab tests under controlled environments which support the casual observer measuring the cylinder thickness with a caliper. Personally I can't imagine blowing up any of them.

I wouldn't imagine a Model 29 or any of them suffering from a stretched frame. Like fighter aircraft worth billions of dollars that crash usually because of some $25.00 servo that failed, guns fail because of some smaller part. One Model 29 cut high pressure gas into my support hand thumb. Ouch, I thought the barrel cylinder gap was excessive but it was not. Come to find out it was unlocking on me under recoil. The frame and cylinder worth hundreds of dollars held held but the pawl spring worth pennies failed. It was an old gun, I bought it used, who knows what gunsmiths had done to it previous to my acquiring it. I took it to Mr. Sell It and converted it's value to something that shoots. Yes, I warned the buyer of the problem and told him he was buying a '57 Chevy not a new Impala and be aware that something is wrong. Beautiful gun with "coke bottle" grips, pinned barrel and recessed cylinders. All over rated in my opinion. I would not hesitate buying a new Model 29 right now. I have toured the Smith and Wesson plant and they are tops. Still personally my first love is my blued 3 screw SBH. Now if Colt would only make the Anaconda is the proper material; carbon steel, I would have to buy one of those.
I agree that the cylinder latch spring is too weak on some S&W's. I never had my old ones unlock and my .357's never suffered from that. I think it was the spring maker that did not stick to specs. I fixed one by sticking a tiny spring from a lock into the center of the latch spring because I could not find a replacement spring.
Now the hand can also recoil out of engagement with the cylinder ratchet too and should be stronger. But that is not the primary cylinder hold.
The Colt Anaconda was something that never interested me. All reports and articles about it showed poor accuracy.
The S&W 29 was capable of 1/2" groups all day at 50 yards until that small group would move 10" just from my grip hold.
The SRH is also capable of 1/2" and only takes a firm hold on the grip. The RH is not as good. The Bisley can move groups and also expand them with a grip hold change.
The happy medium is a BH or SBH with Pachmeyer grips that goes between the Bisley and hog leg by not only pushing back like a Bisley but also raising my arms.
Difference between grips is very small but means so much that many don't consider. Even a Bisley with good rubber grips can make it shoot better. A grip change on a S&W can make it better.
My friend bought a Freedom .475 and groups sucked. It beat both of us silly so he went home and ordered the rubber grips. I was then able to get to 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Pain was not only gone but the sensitive grips were also gone.