PDA

View Full Version : Which lube/sizer?

okiecruffler
02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
Up until now I've been using Lee liquid alox and Lee sizing dies. I don't really have a complaint with that process, just would like something neater. I see alot of Lyman 45's and RCBS lubamatics on the used market. Is either of these better than the other? And what about a heater, how hard is it to set one up?

Buckshot
02-05-2007, 12:48 PM
...............The RCBS and Lyman unit's will interchange thier lube-size dies and nose punches. Of the two I think the RCBS is marginally better as the ram seems to have longer better support. Other then that they were both hatched out on the same stump, IMHO. Those are the 2 lowest priced units that both apply lube and size. Their dies are also the least expensive. I've heard several folks say they prefer the Lyman dies over the RCBS. Big Green DOES charge more for their dies and top punches. Warrently with them is 1st coach.

Of course from there you can also go with the Saeco, or even with the Star. The Saeco is similar to the 2 above as it's and in and out type deal but everything is more expensive. The Star is a stright push through type, so very fast in it's lubeing and sizing. Again it is even spendier yet. ALso, if I'm not mistaken sometimes the hole placement in the lube dies might not accomodate all designs of say 30 caliber boolits. Meaning you might have to have a couple .309 dies with different hole placement. At least this is the idea I get from talking to a couple Star owners in making dies for them.

................Buckshot

454PB
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Buckshot is correct about lube hole placement in the Star sizer dies, however it's not a big problem unless you are using a very unusual lube groove arrangement on the boolit. Most boolits can be accomodated by adjusting the length of the base punch, but if that doesn't work, additional holes can be drilled or existing holes plugged with lead shot.

While the Star is considered the fastest and maybe best built, there is nothing wrong with the Lyman 45, 450, or 4500. I can't speak to the RCBS since I've never owned or used one, but from other's remarks, it is as good or better than the Lyman. It will cost you around $250 to buy the Magma Star set up with one die and base punch. The Lyman and RCBS somewhere around $150 set up for one boolit and size. The dies are also cheaper for Lyman/RCBS and more easily available, and also easier to make yourself on a lathe if you're into that.

I own two Lyman 450's and a Star. I keep the most used size set up in the Star, and the less used sizes set up in the Lyman's.

As to heaters, I use a hair blow dryer on my Lymans when required, and made a heater for my Star. I need heat because my casting room is unheated most of the time, not because of lube hardness. There are many ways of jury rigging a heater, or you can bite the boolit and buy the factory heater.

BruceB
02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
The used market is the best bet for economical Lyman lube-sizers. Ebay always seems to have a few (search for "bullet mold", "bullet mould", "Lyman", "lubricator-sizer"and "lube-sizer").

The latest #450 I bought cost just $35 at a local gunshow, with FOURTEEN sizing dies.

I much prefer the #450 over the older #45, which I used for quite a few years. I now have three 450s, and put them to good use....

monadnock#5
02-05-2007, 09:41 PM
If you live in a cold climate, you will need a lube heater. You could buy a unit from the manufacturer, or improvise (light bulb, clothes iron). Or buy a unit with an integral heater. At this time of year, even Lyman 50/50 is the consistancy of stone here in NH.

Ken

Rottweiler
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
I just switched from a Lyman to a Star about a year ago.

Best move I've ever made.

About triple the rate. I can size a coffee can of .38 boolits in less than an evening. As far as heaters go, I have the one from Midway that I bought back when I bought the Lyman. it has holes drilled and tapped for all sizers, works great.

I've heard of improvised heaters made of about 8-10"square 1/4"thick piece of aluminum between the bench and sizer and an old clothes iron sitting on the aluminum behind the sizer. The plate carries the heat from the iron to the sizer. Has built in thermostat with control on the iron. If mine ever dies I'll probably make one up like that

ANeat
02-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I've heard of improvised heaters made of about 8-10"square 1/4"thick piece of aluminum between the bench and sizer and an old clothes iron sitting on the aluminum behind the sizer. The plate carries the heat from the iron to the sizer. Has built in thermostat with control on the iron. If mine ever dies I'll probably make one up like that

Thats the way mine is setup:drinks:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/Image022.jpg

44woody
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
ANeat I do like the way you have your star set up on the strong mounts I like that idea think that is going on my to do list make a set of strong mounts like that so I can raise mine up some Thanks for the idea :castmine: 44Woody

ANeat
02-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Thanks Woody; I really didnt have a good way to mount anything under the bench to catch the bullets so thats what I came up with. After posting some pics Ive seen where others have done something similar.

Adam

Rottweiler
02-06-2007, 08:08 AM
'Zactly what I was gettin at Aneat.

I catch the boolits coming out of the bottom of my star with a piece of 1.5"pvc pipe screwed to the bench at a slight angle off vertical. One end is just below the bottom of the sizer the other is a couple inches higher than the coffee can on the floor to catch the boolits. I had to put a skirt on the pipe to keep the first layer of boolits from bouncing when they hit the can. Made the skite out of a rag and held it in place with a piece of wire wrapped around the pipe. it can slide up the pipe, out of the way so I can catch a boolit coming out of the pipe for inspection purposes.

Batteries in the camera are dead or I'd show you a pic

lovedogs
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I have a Saeco and like it real well. They claim an advantage of aligning better due to the taper on the nose punch. I don't know if it's a real thing or just advertising. The disadvantages I see are that no one else's stuff fits it. You can't use a Lyman or RCBS punch, for example. And if you had a bullet with a nose they don't make a top punch for I guess you'd have to modify one of theirs because they only accept the threaded punches of their own manufacture. They also claim some taper in their sizing die is better. Again, I'm not sure that's a real issue. They are a very precise and strong sizer and, in my experience, they stand 100% behind their products. Before I went out and bought a heater I first tried a hair blower. My dog loaned it to me. She uses it after baths on cold days to speed up drying off. It was the cheap way to go and it works fine.