PDA

View Full Version : Why Ranch Dog?

wtfooptimax200
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
It seems that Ranch Dog molds are very popular on this forum. Being new to casting I have an open mind, but I am still a bit leery of TL boolits based on some of the reading that I have done. What makes the RD molds so popular in Marlin lever actions? How can their performance be compared to conventional boolits? I am particularly interested in the 45-70 molds as I plan to cast for a guide gun.

Any help is appreciated,
Branden

35remington
10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Why, exactly, are you leery of TL moulds? It's better to focus on results rather than internet rumor and unfounded theory.

If the bullet fits, it will shoot. The LLA works at fairly high velocities, and this design for the 45-70 is a good one.

The reason they are popular is that they shoot well and feed properly.

UtopiaTexasG19
10-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Like many others I am always interested in developing loads that are accurate and practical for my particular gun. The Ranch Dog mold for my Marlin 336 in 30-30 is very accurate and expands/mushrooms well in the castings and trials I've done here on my place. The Ranch Dog molds are designed for and the bullets tested by someone that has hunted all his life. If you haven't gone to the site and read some of the information try it out. I'd rather spend my money on a mold designed by another caster/shooter with real world experience than someone sitting at a drafting table dreaming up a design just because it looks good on paper. :)

selmerfan
10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Read utopiatexas' post again, then go to Michael's site and read up why he started designing these molds and what they are designed for. Then purchase some sample boolits if you're still leery, or just buy a mold, cast and blast away and enjoy great success!

EDK
10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
The RANCH DOG boolits feed trouble free and are designed for MARLINS...which have gotten a bad rap for years with improperly fitted cast boolits. My only complaint is the price of gas checks...don't need them in my pistols most of them time.

I love the TLC 432 265 in my 44 MARLINS and assorted pistols. The new 357 is on my "buy list" for my 357 MARLIN Cowboy rifles. If I didn't have a bunch of moulds for my 30/30s and 45/70s. I'd have RANCH DOGS for them too. Probably get them anyhow, but I'm in hock for two group buy moulds right now...and my allowance is over drawn to boot!

As I mentioned in other posts, the RANCH DOG, with gas check and lubed with LLA, cleans leading from my pistol barrels. Firing another six rounds is a lot more fun than a brush and CHOREGIRL and other "instruments of destruction."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Ole
10-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Every single one of his molds that I've tried has worked really well.

geargnasher
10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Because they serve their intended and very narrow niche perfectly. How to they do that? FIT. They are designed to fit the guns in which they are to be fired (Marlin), the velocity window in which these guns work best, and to be as lethal as possible on game. That's why the wide meplat, ogive shape, crimp groove location, microbands, and gas check shanks exist the way they do on Mr. Reamy's designs.

Gear

btroj
10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
They are popular because they work!
The guy who designed them spent many hours over many years to develop these designs. He designed them to work very well in Marlins. They are designed to be hunting bullets in most cases.

I have used them after running them thru a traditional lube sizer. They worked very well. A few deer wish I had never tried them.

What more can I say? Try them, you might well be amazed at what they can do.

jtaylor1960
10-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I have Ranch Dog molds for several of my guns.They are designed to work mostly in lever actions and they do.The six cavities put out a lot of bullets in a hurry.They accuracy and field tested.Michael put some serious time into each design.Check out his website for more information.He also is starting to offer his bullets with conventional lube grooves for those that don't like the tumble lube.I size mine in the lubesizer with no problems and they hold plenty of lube.You should at least try some bullets.His 45/70 designs seem to be quite popular.

JesterGrin_1
10-05-2011, 02:12 AM
I do not know all of the Science behind Ranch Dogs Moulds but I do know they work and work very well. I use the Ranch Dog 460-350Gr RNFP in my Marlin 45-70 GS and get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. And believe me they will do the job on game. I use it for Deer and HOG in South TEXAS.

They work so well in fact when I use them I feel like dancing a Jig
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Marlin%20XL-7%20build%20to%2035%20Whelen/Fred_Flintstone.gif

Bret4207
10-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I haven't used any of RD's boolits yet, but I recall the effort that he went through working out the kinks. Plus, he's finally deigned a 380 Auto boolit that appears to be a proper boolit for the caliber. He put's a lot of effort into his development, which is more than you can say for some of the mainline production co's that consistently produce unusable moulds.

dk17hmr
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
I have 3 Ranch Dog molds and not 1 single Marlin lever gun. They just plain work for me in most of my 30 calibers, my 357 Magnum S&W, and my Ruger 454...that 425gr 45-70 bullet he designed sizes down to 454 pretty easy and hits hard out of my pistol.

Not sure there is a better hunting bullet design than one of Ranch Dogs.

DLCTEX
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I have the RD 460-325 and 460-420 moulds for use in a guide gun and size and lube them in a lubrisizer with great results. A friend likes them in his Handi Rifle Buffalo Classic and in a Ruger #1 in 458 Win. Mag.

mroliver77
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
While they are kinda tumble lube designs the lube grooves are much more substantial then Lees frail grooves. I followed Micheal's directions and gave a very light tl with much thinned Alox. After it dried I dipped them into straight Alox and set on wax paper to dry. The next day I peeled them up and sized in a Lee size die that I also got from RD. Grooves were completely filled with the Alox. Bases were wiped clean. Wax paper was scraped with a good putty knife and all left over Alox put back in bottle along with a teaspoon of mineral spirits to replace what had evaporated off.

I shot a bunch of these through my Marlin 38-55. There was not one speck of leading and accuracy was as well as I could see the fine Marlin sights. Excellent for a 100+ year old gun! Actually excellent for ANY open sighted gun.
Alloy was "pure" lead from water pipe and tin 25/1. IIRC 1500fps or so. I shot a boar on a hunting preserve at rock throwing distance and it gave a cut short squeak and was dead. Boolit took out both lungs and ripped aorta bad. Boolit was mushroomed to .75 cal and stopped on far rib cage. A little too much mushroom. I liked it so much I intend on buying more.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/mroliver77/DSC00174.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/mroliver77/Zues018-1.jpg

wtfooptimax200
10-05-2011, 07:03 PM
It sounds like the consensus is that everyone loves the RD molds. Do most of you use RD's dipped alox method of lubing or lube and size conventionally in a lubrisizer?

JesterGrin_1
10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
It is your choice you can use the Alox or you can use a sizer. Whatever you wish to use.

I have used Alox. But only since I do not have a .460 size die for my Lyman. :)

Ranch Dog
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Wow guys, thanks for all the comments. All this started because I wanted to buy a mold off the self for my Marlins without going through the special order process. I would not have dreamed that I would have bought as many molds as I have, a bunch have crossed the cattle guard, in and out.

The success of my various designs also belongs to fellow forum member Tom Myers. Tom is one of the smartest guys I know and his software products have helped me take an idea and see it through a completed product. Designs don't always work out but his knowledge of cast bullets has always been a great practical and personal reference to bring the project back on track.

I wish each of you a successful hunting season and thank you for your business!

JesterGrin_1
10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Michael no WOW needed as nobody here likes you. lol. :kidding: But your BOOLIT designs work great. :drinks:

On a serious note Michael Ranch Dog not only has good designs he is also a heck of a fellow to talk with.

Ole
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
It sounds like the consensus is that everyone loves the RD molds. Do most of you use RD's dipped alox method of lubing or lube and size conventionally in a lubrisizer?

I have pan-lubed some in the past and that works too.

hornsurgeon
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
i started with the RD 350 45/70 boolit, then got in on the clone of this one with traditional lube grooves. both are extreamly accurate boolits. i now am working on a 35rem with one of his designs. again, very accurate and i found a very gool load on my first trip to the range.

don't hesitate to buy one of his designs!

also, i use his 200gr 35rem boolit with extreamly good accuracy and velocity in my gp100 357.