PDA

View Full Version : What's up with 1 in a 1,000

Charlie Two Tracks
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I have had a time of it with things that I buy not working right or things that happen to me that are (to say the least) unique. I had sinus surgery twice last year because of a Dr.'s mistake. He said it was a 1 in a 1,000 chance of that happening. I bought a tire pressure monitoring system for my RV and it doesn't work. Yup, they said it was a 1 in a thousand chance of that happening. I am having problems with a M die right now, wonder what the chances of that happening are! Cindy and I have a very low rate of getting a high dollar item to be right when we get it home. It's very strange. Last week when the lotto was at 113 million, I thought I'd get a ticket since the odds of winning were not that good. More than one in a thousand but you never know................ well, I'm still at work. I wish a guy could just buy something and not have to return or get it fixed. My Ruger SP-101 had to be sent back to the factory. They fixed it up right but I still had to send a new revolver back......... Ok , rant over. (for now or until I buy something.:violin:

geargnasher
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Two things I'm going to have to come to grips with someday: Most people are not good at what they do for a living, and most products are made to the lowest standard the majority of their consumers will tolerate.

I could go on all night about similar things happening to me and people I know. So no, unfortunatesly you're not alone!

Gear

oneokie
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Wait until you buy a set of spark plugs and one does not have threads, or one does not have the ground electrode.

ph4570
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Two things I'm going to have to come to grips with someday: Most people are not good at what they do for a living, and most products are made to the lowest standard the majority of their consumers will tolerate.
Gear

Sadly, your observations mirror mine.

btroj
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Gear is dead on.
So many products are made so cheaply that the manufacturer feels it is cheaper to replace some than to produce a better product.

Love Life
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
You should meet my buddy can't get right. We call him that because the majority of the stuff he buys that is top end doesn't work like it is supposed to. It's not his fault he is unlucky, but the name has stuck to him for years.

Hardcast416taylor
10-05-2011, 03:42 AM
I thought Andy Rooney retired?Robert

Bret4207
10-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Wait until you buy a set of spark plugs and one does not have threads, or one does not have the ground electrode.

Still using Champion, eh?

Charlie Two Tracks
10-05-2011, 07:34 AM
The list could go on and on. I bought a garden hose that was guaranteed for 5 years. This ought to work great! Got it home and when I attached it to the faucet and turned the water on, the other end of the hose flew off! It wasn't crimped at all. Too bad we were on vacation and I had to return it to the place of purchase. Really, it's a sad state of affairs IMO

Jim
10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, when products are made overseas where QC stands for "Quality is Crud", that's to be expected.

Calamity Jake
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Bought a Levies jean jacket this week from a big name western store, washed it, hung it to dry knowing it would shrink if put in the clothes drier.

Wife ironed it last night, I put it on this morning, IT SHRUNK, dought they will take it back cause I washed it and removed the tags.

gray wolf
10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
+2 for Gears observations,
this has been going on for a long time--to the point that it makes me disgusted to even try and explain it.
I hate it when you try to return a piece of down right garbage and you are told.
GEE ! no one else has a problem with these-- or--- WOW ! this is the first complaint I have heard about. -- What a bunch of crappp O-la Eh.
And don't try to sell me Polymer ( plastic ) ever wonder how much cheaper it is to pop this stuff out of a mold and send it on it's way ?
So don't think you are all alone with this one. Most of the sheep just accept what they are given, be it crapppy goods or lies on the TV news.
and the rest of us are made to feel like the outcast or the person that complains about everything. Guess which one I am ?

Sam

Finster101
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Seems it is no longer acceptable to hold other people to the standards we expect of ourselves. I work at a Caddilac dealership and have been told by a couple of me workmates I need remember my name is not hanging over my bays. Sad, that I take it as a compliment.

James

bob208
10-06-2011, 06:23 AM
well you guys have helped me and made me feel bad at the same time. first thing i yell is is it only me? no there are others. second is will it ever stop? from what i have read here i don't think so.

geargnasher
10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Bob, like all averages, Quality is a bell curve. Demanding consumers are at the far end. True Quality and Craftsmanship is lost on those at the other far end. Most things fall in the middle, but when the demanding consumer meets reject-quality product/service, there is an explosion. Stick a diamond in a pig's ****, what do you have? The pig doesn't know the difference, so 90% or more of the time it works out between consumer expectation and product/service Quality.

Don't think for a minute that every major manufacturer doesn't have a whole team of bean-counting monkeys and legal bottom-feeders on the payroll whose sole job it is to scour company data to determine just how little they can get by with.

Gear

firefly1957
10-06-2011, 06:20 PM
This spring I went to home depot to get a new bug zapper they had two one box was open I bought the one that was not it was bad!!! 80 mile round trip later the open box had a good zapper. By the way the transformer went for old zapper new part is $10 more than new zapper plus shipping and handling.

garym1a2
10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
You should understand the big box store model. They do not own the stuff in the store. The company that owns made the stuff owns it. Once its sold to the consumer than its consider purchased. But the store does not get paid for 6 months. If you do not like the terms they buy it from someoneelse. Plus they demand rock bottom prices and quality is second. We make auto parts and its cut throat.

firefly1957
10-07-2011, 05:38 AM
I had that trouble years ago with Cabella's I bought several items from them that were all bad I never ordered though the mail from them again.