PDA

View Full Version : Casting for .38 Super???

X-man
06-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone was casting for the .38 Super? If you are, what mould are you using? Favorite loading? Best powder choice in your experience? What kind of velocity are you getting? Average accuracy? Recommendations for mould and bullet weight for the .38 Super?

I've got a couple of RCBS 9mm moulds that I figure should work okay, but neither is a "heavy" bullet (one is 115gr and the other is 124gr) Haven't tried either as yet. Was thinking that a heavier bullet might be better suited to the .38 Super. I've just picked up a cherry Colt Combat Commander that came with both .38 Super & 9mm bbls and related bits and pieces. Shot some factory .38 Super in it and was plain amazed at how accurate this gun is! (shot clover leafs at 25 yards) Any comments would be welcome, so feel free to jump in! :grin:

Buckshot
06-13-2005, 01:28 AM
...............X-man, check out Castpics surplus load data for some of my work with the 38 Super. Mine is a Witness (Tanfoglio) and really accurate. With the shown (Castpics) stuff using surp WC820 the Lyman 147gr FNBB was up about 1260 fps and groups at 25 yards were like 1", 1.15", maybe 1.5" being the largest. I remember extreme velocity spreads (5 rounds) being single digit. The factory recoil spring is like 16 lbs and I was using a Wolff, 22 lb and could have prolly gone to a 24lb spring.

I've had good results with the Lee 358-125R but don't recall the loads offhand. One powder I remember doing good was SR4756. I only partially resize my brass. Makes the case look like a little rimless 38-40. The groove is .356" and I size to .357".

Quite awile back I had started a deal to try and develope a real light load for pure target work, and had a Wolff 14lb spring and cut a couple coils off it. I was using Bullseye and the Lee 125gr RN. I started too low and that was a pain. The middlin type loads were better but very sensitive to how hard you held the pistol to soak up the recoil. I think too much below a certain level, even if it cycles well you just can't get good consistant accuracy.

.................Buckshot

bobthenailer
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
hi i have 2 - 38 supers one is a caspian with a full supported nowlen barrel and the other is a springfield with a newer type colt barrel this gun was orgionaly a 9mm. i have several molds that will work in my guns . a rcbs 124 gc a saeco #384 122 rn and a saeco#929 145 swcbb and i also have a saeco#377 122 tc but the later workes best in the 9mm . all of the bullets are accurate out of both guns with the #929 being the most accurate with the others not far behind shooting my groupes at 25 yards i usually shoot the #384 the most because its a 8 holer and the others are 4 holers except the rcbs a 2 holer . i currently use tight group, universal clays,wsf and wap in the 38 super but i have tried at least 5 other powders .i also found that both guns shoot much better with the bullets sized to 357 dia. i hope this is some help to you i cant rember the exact load data at this writing if you want that leave a post . bob

D.Mack
06-20-2005, 12:33 AM
X-MAN I currently use two moulds for the 38 super, a 125 rn, with 5.5 of unique, for 1100 f.p.s. (mold is of undetermined origin), and a 158rn with 5.0 unique, for 1050 f.p.s. RCBS mold. These are both reasoonable loads, not hot, although at the limit in some manuals. they workin every super I have tried them in; two colts and two converted Star 9mm largos ofmy own, and several "friends" guns. My choice as to which one to load is easy, whatever I have the most of. I also use the 125 for 9mm, and the 158 for 38/357. however, I must admit it is my third choice in 38/357. d.mack

Leftoverdj
06-20-2005, 01:00 AM
I picked up a Lee six cavity 356-153-2R on closeout. Lee had it designated for the .38 Super. Works fine for me in a 9mm Largo, 38 Special, and 357 Mag, both pistol and rifle. Mine casts just under .358. Makes me a good all round plinker in anything roughly .38 cal.

X-man
06-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I managed to find a Lyman double cavity that my Commander seems to like. Sticking with Bullseye for now. Seems to be giving decent accuracy and no FTF. I had been sizing at .356", tried .357" and cut groups by 1/2". :-)