PDA

View Full Version : Birchwood Casey Walnut stain - Alternative?

ilcop22
10-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Good afternoon,

I started finishing a gun stock last night with some Birchwood Casey Walnut stain. Well, I ran out before I could finish the whole stock (wasn't much left, thought I could stretch it...), and - as I shoulda guessed - the stores in my area stopped carrying it. Does anyone know or have experience with a Minwax stain that uses the same shade as the BC stuff? I.e. would Minwax walnut = BC walnut? Just looking to avoid Frankenstein's monster.

I know, I know... I never should have assumed that two major sporting good retailers would still carry a product that they sold for years... :rolleyes:

gnoahhh
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, I think you're in a spot. I wouldn't presume that a stain from another manufacturer will match. Heck, even stain from a new bottle from B. Casey might not perfectly match, but it would still be your best bet IMO. I would certainly make an effort to locate some of the same stuff via the internet if nobody locally carries it.

ilcop22
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I certainly am in a pickle. I got some BC walnut stain and - you guessed it - completely different hue. I have franken-gun. Looking for some wood bleach to take the stain out as much as possible... Live and learn...

10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
No need to panic. If you started with clean, dry wood without any other previous finish on or in it, it will blend without much problem. If you want to dilute the stain that is already applied, get some denatured alcohol, 0000 steel wool and rubber/vinyl gloves. Liberally work over the stock by dipping the wool in the alcohol, scrubbing with the grain. Wipe often with some paper towels. You won't get it all out but you don't need to. By going over the entire stock during this process it should blend and dilute to a fairly even color over the entire stock. I'd avoid other chemicals, bleaches, etc. at this point. Get some more stain (enough to do the job :)) and re-apply to liking. I like Laurel Mtn Forge stains better than the Birchwood Casey stains. Laurel Mtn offers many hues to choose from. I like their American Walnut stain for many applications. They can be found on and ordered via the web. I usually get mine from Track of the Wolf.

W.R.Buchanan
10-07-2011, 01:29 AM
OK I've been down this road before.

First NO it probably isn't exactly the same.

Second all you can do is finish staining with the minwax stain that is closest.

Whatever color they show on the label is pretty close to what you'll get.

Don't go over the sections you already stained! just the open sections

Then go back and sand everything and restain everything together. It will blend to the new color.

Then start applying your BC tru oil.

By the time you get 10-12 coats of oil on the stock any differences in color shading will only increase the character of the wood.

see my Marlin refinish job in the leverguns section.

Randy

gnoahhh
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
405 offers good advice, as does Randy. In the future, may I suggest abandoning any of the oil based stains one finds at the hardware store or at the gunshop. I switched to Behlen's SolarLux stains a long time ago ( a Google search will turn it up). They are more of a dye than a stain, the colors being carried into the wood far better than with an oil base stain. Another benefit is the wood won't have a "muddy" appearance afterward (the grain really "pops") and the stuff is also color-fast in that it won't bleach out over time from UV degradation like cheap oil stains may.

ilcop22
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I was able to remove the old stain and apply new BC walnut stain (it's water based, gnoahh). Results are looking really good. I'm going to put a final rub on it today then apply some 1/3 military gunstock wax before final assembly. I'll post a couple pics when it's done. Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'll be sure to remember what not to do next time!

Char-Gar
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
We have all been there, one way or another. I have learned most of what I know from my mistakes. My sucesses are nice, but not very informative.

Dutchie
10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Ok , it sounds like a problem an old friend of mine had with his gun.
He wanted to have his 3 part stock in the same color.
In the village I lived there was an old painter who said , easy job !.

Dunno how to exactly translate this one but back then there was some powder or die which was used in churches to color the benches in there.more or less of this stuff mixed with lineseed gave the perfect match
They put the bench also in a tub with water for a week or so , with weights on it , took it out and took a hot ironing stove on the part where the dents were, let it dry and apply ( i think trial and error, or experience) the substance to it and presto, nobody saw the difference.

So my shooting buddy luckily got the stuff and I thought his stock was from one tree !

Maybe there is something like it over there ! I dunno.

Hans.

ilcop22
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Here's a quick pic from my cell phone of the finished stock. Considering it was once a bright, shiny tru-oiled disgrace, I'm happy with my rework. Thanks again for all the help.

gnoahhh
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
All's well that ends well! Nice job.