PDA

View Full Version : Ruger-Amateur Gunsmithing

David Turner
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I would like to learn how to dis-assemble and re-assemble Ruger handguns. At this point I don't really know why, maybe to slick the actions. It's just something I would like to learn how to do.

The u-tube video makes it look like a piece of cake. Is it really that easy? What tools other than good screw drivers do I need? Are there DVD's or books that show the process step by step; sort of a Ruger for dumbies?

I have both old model 3 screw and new model handguns and I'm not sure if there is any difference as far as assembly.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Moonman
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Khulhausen's shop Manual for Rugers, Midway USA $35?????

kywoodwrkr
10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
"Ruger Pistols and Revolvers: the Vintage Years 1949-1973" by John C. Dougan.
I don't have this one yet but folks with answers to my questions from Hhulhausens book point me to the answer in Dougans book.
Lotta pieces left out in Khulhausen's in my humble opinion.
It's probably good for what you want to do, but leaves a lot to be desired for me.
YMMV

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2011, 02:44 PM
+1 on Moonman's answer. Easy to read, easy to understand I have several of his books.

Randy

seagiant
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi,
There are 2 books by Kuhnhausen on Ruger revolvers,single and double action! Without these books to learn from, you're just playing with yourself! Thats how good they are!!! I have everything he has written.

MtGun44
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I have not purchased the Khunhausen books on Ruger pistols, but have them on several
other guns and they are excellent, extremely detailed books. Highly recommended.

Bill