PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 being returned!

GARCIA
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Little history on this.

Been searching for a 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt for sometime. Found one at the Cabela's store in Gonzales LA. Had it shipped to my FFL dealer here in GA. Never did get a chance to inspect the weapon because it was purchased site unseen over the phone.

Well I finall had the chance to get it out of the box and started to clean it so that I could go to the range the following day. I looked inside of the muzzle and discovered that part of a land was missing and the grooves were messed up. Needless to say I was quite upset about this.

Called Marlin's customer service and explained the situation. They found it hard to believe, well long story short they sent me a return UPS label to ship it back for their "Inspection".

You can see who it looks in the attached photo.

Now, I wonder how long it's going to take to get it back and hopefully fixed correctly!!

Tom

Ziptar
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I am truly sorry to hear and see what you've experience, It's truly makes me sad....

Unfortunately, that seems to be Par for the Course on the Ilion, NY produced Marlins, or "Remlins" as they call them now.

Lot's of similar reports similar reports over on the Marlin Owner's forum so I find it hard to believe that Marlin customer service "found it hard to believe".

In fact, I've seen many a report since the Ilion, NY production guns started hitting the market of horrible rifles being returned to Marlin directly for "inspection" and Marlin cutting customers refund checks directly. It seems that not only can they not produce a rifle but, they are unable to repair them as well. Selling rifles at wholesale only to have to send refund checks for full retail can't be working out to well for them.

Then there is the rumored production shut down in August due to "Quality Control" issues. Marlin didn't fess up to it for a while but, recently has confirmed instead that Lever Gun production was instead halted for the rest of the year with the exception of the 44 mag to deal with "Capacity Issues" so they can focus on more production of more "popular models". Smells like a big stinking pile of Bull Manure IMHO.

Maybe the customer service rep you spoke to was in their first day on the job, if you check out the Marlin owner's Forum "Marlin Rant" forum there are horror stories going back to 2009. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,179.0.html. Guns shipped with stripped screws, no sights, barrels with no rifling what so ever, and other inconceivable things.

There are many that feel and think that the Marlin brand is already just a memory and that Cerberus / Freedom Arms / Remington might as well be making horrible clones of what used to be great rifles. I gotta say I agree.

Artful
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Political oversight of private business and Corporate management strikes again -
Viable business in same Connecticut location since 1870 - purchased by another company
then moved as the local rules and regulations were less then business friendly.
260+ skilled employee's let go and production equipment moved to unskilled labor force (in making Marlins).
Who should know better than to ship guns without sights, stripped screws and faulty rifling.

I quit buying Marlin's when they started coming with push button safety's sticking out. But now you couldn't give me one from the sounds of it.

GARCIA
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I am very thankful that I own an original 1886 Winchester and still hunt with it.

Kind of wish that Remlin will return the gun corrected.

We shall see.

Tom

Ed in North Texas
10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Political oversight of private business and Corporate management strikes again -
Viable business in same Connecticut location since 1870 - purchased by another company
then moved as the local rules and regulations were less then business friendly.
260+ skilled employee's let go and production equipment moved to unskilled labor force (in making Marlins).
Who should know better than to ship guns without sights, stripped screws and faulty rifling.

I quit buying Marlin's when they started coming with push button safety's sticking out. But now you couldn't give me one from the sounds of it.

I sort of wonder how Remington employees would pass these types of problems. Although obviously these could be brand new employees making the parts, both the final assembly and inspection are unlikely to be unskilled and new employees. Inspection, even by employees new to the Marlin line, should never miss barrels with screwed up/totally missing rifling. Those types of problems tend to be deliberate acts. Are these employees who don't wish to work on the Marlin line? I can't imagine inspectors who have been given pink slips allowed to remain on the line. Is Remington having/about to have labor problems with their union contract negotiations? I can think of multiple reasons for these types of problems, but I can't understand simple sloppiness on the part of employees, not in the current job market (assuming they can simply be dismissed for incompetence, which may not be a reasonable assumption in a True Blue state like NY). I don't own any Marlins which have some sort of "safety" beyond the shooter.

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Guys: there are plenty of used Marlins out there.

Until they get things sorted out maybe it's better to just buy them.

I always look for used ones anyway as I usually want to change them.

The last new one I got was my .45-70 CB but it was made before 2005, it was plain but still functional and all there. It really didn't require anything, but I chose to do an action job and refinish the stocks. Alll I really require is that the gun be put together correctly.

Had I gotten that response, that person who found it "hard to believe", He would have gotten his face ripped off and served to him. But really you need to start directing your comments to the GM not customer service who's only job is to placate you.

If that gun came back bad again, I would unleash a tirade, but I would wait until the SHOT Show so I could get at someone who mattered. Doing it front of a crowd of people gets the most attention.

Randy

Jailer
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Man I must be lucky.

I just picked up a new 1895 SBL and it's great. Interior of the reciever and exterior of the bolt was sharp as razor blades but that didn't take long to smooth out. Did an action job, added wolff reduce power springs and a happy trigger and the thing is smooth as butter now shoots great and I'm loving it.

Artful
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Jailer, excellent lets hope Garcia gets one as good as yours back.

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Bummer. Sorry to hear about that. I have an 1895M and a 7000 and they are great rifles. They were purchase well before 2005.

I have to wonder about big companies these days. I work for one of the largest companies in America and they insist on double digit revenue growth every year.

In a good economy that might work out fine, in a poor one it doesn't. The first thing they do to try and get it is cut expenses. Sounds logical but if the fat is already trimmed you end up cutting vital resources.

The biggest expense in most companies is labor. That's where they start. They get rid of the highest paid front line employee as well as supervisor and manager. These are the people that ensure quality to customers. I assure you they do not cut director, vp, or any executive positions.

I watched over 400 people around me get laid off and at the same time saw a whole department created to " ensure cultural diversity".

Ben
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
The " New Marlins " that are being sold right now are hit and miss.

I'm glad I've got my 1992 mold, it is a " Real Gem ".

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57730

Ben

Jailer
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Jailer, excellent lets hope Garcia gets one as good as yours back.

Absolutely.

Hopefully during this down time they are scrambling to get skilled workers to fix the mistakes that made it out the door and Garcia gets his back BETTER than new.

white eagle
10-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I must be another of the lucky ones
I just bought a gbl 45-70 and it has the be one of the better
rifles I have ever bought

mrawatson
10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Like Jailer I just got a 1895 SBL. Many sharp edges on the lever, receiver, bolt and loading port. After I took some crocus cloth to these, feels just fine. Alignment and screws good. Gets smoother with each use. Must be hit and miss given what I am seeing from others

fecmech
10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
It's not just "Remlins", Marlin QC was pretty lame the last couple years before the switch. Two friends bought Marlins in that time frame an 1894 .357 and a 39A. Right out of the box the 94 would not feed a number of factory .357's and had to be returned for a fix. The 39A had an 8 lb. trigger and an action full of burrs which scored internal parts. I cleaned up the 39A and did the trigger but that gun should have never left the factory.

ocelott
10-05-2011, 03:10 AM
I found one of recent manufacture - 1996 - that has proved Extremely accurate for me, I placed a skinner peep on it and it shoots my loads to poa at 100 yards with about 1.5" groups as long as I do my part right. I don't think that I'd buy one new from the new "Remlin" stock until they get their QC under control.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
The real problem is that Marlin was letting bad guns walk AND THEY KNEW IT. It is just impossible to believe that their management DID NOT know that junk was going out.

Shame on them. That shows a great distain of us, their American customers, who purchase most lever guns, and a lack of concern about quality of the product they were producing. Maybe it is time for them to fail .

BvT

Ziptar
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Freedom Arms Management is aware and has been aware of Marlin quality issues, for a while.

Back in August I spent some time reading their financial reports. The 2010 10K and both Q1 and Q2 2011 quarterly reports detailed delays and cost over runs as well as production and quality control issues involving the relocation of Marlin production from North Haven to Ilion.

The concern was enough that each report expressly stated there was a possible forward risk of alienating the Marlin customer base as well as damaging the Marlin brand.

Safe to say that is no longer a "Forward Risk" but, a current reality.

The relocation of Marlin production was about more than labor or union issues. The main motivation was they sought to improve "production efficiencies" by integrating the production lines of all the fire arms brands that Cerberus / FA had acquired over the last several years. Somewhere on a spreadsheet some bean counter(s) had figured it all out.

It's the equivalent of trying to build Yugos, Fords, Freightliners, and John Deeres all on a single production line.

I made a detailed post about all of it over on Marlin Owners, I can repost it here if you all are interested. In addition the Q3 2011 report should be out soon if not already. That should have some new and interesting details.

x101airborne
10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I am sorry for your luck, but I also have never seen a barrel with that kind of damage. Sad to see what they are turning out. Guess I will have to stick with my 1960's marlins for sure.

I wonder what accuracy would have been had you grouped it with the barrel like that. I guess it would have been the same as a damaged crown. You know about curiosity and the cat!!

Char-Gar
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
It is my understanding that Marlin has suspended production for the rest of this year in order to get their quality control in place the way it should be. In light of this, a crappy barrel should not come as a surprise to their Customer Service people.

RidgerunnerAk
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not one bit surprised at this. I recently bought an 1895 SS guide gun. I pulled the sight hood off and the sight fell onto the bench. I had to peen the dovetail shut a tad to get it to stay in place. I sold it as fast as I could and will not buy another new one.

Leadforbrains
10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I currently have a Model 39M, a stainless steel bolt action in .17HMR, .444P Outfitter, .450 Marlin and an 1894 in .44 Magnum. All were from the original Marlin factory. I love them all. The quality control issues on the newer ones are going to drive the prices up on the used marlins. I am kicking myself every day for not buying an 1894 in .357 magnum before I got financially strapped.:groner:[smilie=b:

Mr. Garcia I hope the customer service folks at remlin get your gun fixed to your satisfaction.

excess650
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I bought a new 1894C just prior to Marlin shutting the old plant down, and I think it very good. I guess that I was lucky.

GARCIA
10-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys for all the support!
Maybe here in the future it will be returned with the problems corrected.
Till then, If I decide to go hunting, I am going to break out my Great-Grandfathers 1886 Winchester. It has never failed me and turns 120 years old next year!!

Tom

GARCIA
10-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Well it's been just over two weeks since my REMLIN was signed for at the NY shop.
Going to call them later today and find out where it stands and what are they going to do about fixing it.

Will let you all know later.

Tom

NHlever
10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
"The biggest expense in most companies is labor. That's where they start. They get rid of the highest paid front line employee as well as supervisor and manager. These are the people that ensure quality to customers. I assure you they do not cut director, vp, or any executive positions."

This is the most often quoted rumor in the country today, and in most cases it just isn't true. Gun companies, for example, will pay more for product liability than for all the other costs in producing the product. One American company, Airiens thought they would save money by outsourcing some spindle assemblies to China. They did, but had a lot of rework so they looked at the real problems in house, and saved even more by doing it right with Americal labor. ( This was written up in "Modern Machine Shop" some years ago.

Suo Gan
10-22-2011, 02:24 AM
It's not just "Remlins", Marlin QC was pretty lame the last couple years before the switch. Two friends bought Marlins in that time frame an 1894 .357 and a 39A. Right out of the box the 94 would not feed a number of factory .357's and had to be returned for a fix. The 39A had an 8 lb. trigger and an action full of burrs which scored internal parts. I cleaned up the 39A and did the trigger but that gun should have never left the factory.

I agree totally! I love Marlin. I really feel that a little skuttlebutt coupled with REAL issues like Garcias can literally wreck a company for good. I do not want to come off as being on a pulpit here, but these are comparatively cheap guns and not Westley Richards drillings. If things can get messed up with guns that cost ten or twenty times the cost of a Marlin they surely could happen with a factory gun. I had a custom gun come to me one time with the buttstock broken like kindling wood. Who dun it?? I assume it was not shipped that way. Then when I get it repaired it has major fit and finish issues as it stood proud of the metal and did not match the forearm. This goes with the territory, I am sorry to say.

Hope they make the gun right.

PS, I am a firm hater of the 39A. They are all fairly pretty boat anchors to me. Not sure how it has remained such a popular gun. They made it worse with the attorney approved hammer. The only Marlin not worth a hoot.

fecmech
10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
PS, I am a firm hater of the 39A. They are all fairly pretty boat anchors to me. Not sure how it has remained such a popular gun. They made it worse with the attorney approved hammer. The only Marlin not worth a hoot.

I totally agree with you on that. I think Henry is eating Marlins lunch in the .22 market with their levers.

Wrbjr
10-22-2011, 07:57 PM
How does one find out the year of their Marlin? Is it imbedded in the serial numbers?

Ziptar
10-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Can't agree with you there. I've got a 39M, its was a basket case of a beat up and abused old truck gun when I got it.

After some elbow grease, replacing some broken and missing parts, and a good cleaning it's a sweet little rifle. It is a pre-safety model, that might have something to do with it.

GARCIA
11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Weapon was returned to me today.
Barrel replaced and the chamber was chamfered.
Forearm and stock stained and finished.

Remington made good on everything.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the range to launch a few!!!!

Tom

Ziptar
11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Weapon was returned to me today.
Barrel replaced and the chamber was chamfered.
Forearm and stock stained and finished.

Remington made good on everything.

Hopefully I will be able to get to the range to launch a few!!!!

Tom

Thats good to hear! Maybe there is yet hope they'll get it together and soon we won't be afraid to buy a "Remlin" anymore.

mroliver77
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
1 month is a long time when your waiting but...... I am glad they took care of it. Let us know how it shoots.
J

missionary5155
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Good morning
That is good news to read.. Maybe the Belguims are still honorable people.
Mike in peru

GARCIA
11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Belgians own CEREBRUS (or what ever it's called)?

Well better them than the Chinese!

Tom

izzyjoe
11-05-2011, 09:33 AM
i agree with fecmech a few post back, Marlin was even having trouble towards the end. a friend of mine does alot of work for CAS shooters, and the last couple of marlins he worked on were total ****. that was about 2006, after that he refused to work on any marlins, and stuck to '73 clones. but in the last 25yrs that i've been buying, handling, and shooting marlin's, they have had trouble for awhile. i know they are a working man's rifle, and cheap. but at least it needs to leave the factory right. i glad to hear they fixed you'r rifle, but it should'nt had been an issue in the first place. i hope REM can get the wheel strait before they run it into the ditch!

j20owner
11-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I am interested in an update on this and how it's shooting for you. Also, what profile of boolits does it like?

Beau Cassidy
11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Marlin is watching this thread?

excess650
11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I purchased an 1894c in the spring before the old plant was shut down. I must have gotten a good one because mine is no disappointment.

Hopefully, Remlin will get their act together and return to producing excellent quality LAs.

GARCIA
11-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Weapon is shooting really good at this point.
Ran 4 differant loads through it on Monday.
One big hole at 25 yards.

One big problem has reared it's ugly head!!!!
I can not get it to feed the Miha "Ruger Only" boolit.
Pretty pissed off about that.
It becomes a single shot with that bullet.

Oldest boy will be home and we plan on going shooting on Friday.
Last time at the range, a guy was good enough to give me some really thick catalogs that he was using for penetration tests.
Going to see what the "Penta" HP can do to them at 25 yards.

Tom

TXGunNut
11-25-2011, 01:01 AM
I wonder if Marlin is watching this thread? -BC

Hard to say. I know mfg reps monitor TFL and possibly other forums but they seldom, if ever, post. I've exhanged PM's with one mfg's rep who is ridiculed by his colleagues (from other mfgs) for posting. I'm willing to bet employees monitor the Marlin owners forum. They'd be silly not to monitor this one as well. But then again, it's not Marlin anymore. Not sure if a big corporation would be interested in grass-roots loyalty and support.

Storydude
11-25-2011, 01:43 AM
successful profitable companies don't get bought out by other companies.....

gandydancer
11-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Freedom Arms Management is aware and has been aware of Marlin quality issues, for a while.

Back in August I spent some time reading their financial reports. The 2010 10K and both Q1 and Q2 2011 quarterly reports detailed delays and cost over runs as well as production and quality control issues involving the relocation of Marlin production from North Haven to Ilion.

The concern was enough that each report expressly stated there was a possible forward risk of alienating the Marlin customer base as well as damaging the Marlin brand.

Safe to say that is no longer a "Forward Risk" but, a current reality.

The relocation of Marlin production was about more than labor or union issues. The main motivation was they sought to improve "production efficiencies" by integrating the production lines of all the fire arms brands that Cerberus / FA had acquired over the last several years. Somewhere on a spreadsheet some bean counter(s) had figured it all out.

It's the equivalent of trying to build Yugos, Fords, Freightliners, and John Deeres all on a single production line.

I made a detailed post about all of it over on Marlin Owners, I can repost it here if you all are interested. In addition the Q3 2011 report should be out soon if not already. That should have some new and interesting details.
what has freedom arms have to do with marlin firearms?? or Cerberus? Have I been gone that long that I missed all this?

Artful
11-25-2011, 03:04 AM
successful profitable companies don't get bought out by other companies.....

Actually they do - if the larger company has need of what the little (by comparison) company has, They will pay big money not to duplicate what has already been done.

Trust me I know, as my ex-employer was purchased by one of largest so they could get our operating licences and equipment in rural area's (telcom co). :hijack:

Now back to Gun stuff [smilie=1:

Or else I'll drag us off onto motorcycles [smilie=2:

Artful
11-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Weapon is shooting really good at this point.
Ran 4 differant loads through it on Monday.
One big hole at 25 yards.

One big problem has reared it's ugly head!!!!
I can not get it to feed the Miha "Ruger Only" boolit.
Pretty pissed off about that.
It becomes a single shot with that bullet.

Oldest boy will be home and we plan on going shooting on Friday.
Last time at the range, a guy was good enough to give me some really thick catalogs that he was using for penetration tests.
Going to see what the "Penta" HP can do to them at 25 yards.

Tom

Is that this boolit
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13886&d=1243780138

W.R.Buchanan
11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Storydude: successful companies do get bought out by larger companies all the time. Very few are going to buy a company that is bust.

That comes under the heading of "first you take a million dollars,,, and then you add several more million too it,,, and then if you are lucky you might get to get your money back.

Also if the price is right ANY company is for sale! RCBS was recently purchased by ATK which is owned by Freedom Arms who is also owned by Cerberus.

happens all the time.

I have heard that GEo Soros owns a bunch of Cerberus? If that is true he might just shut the Freedom Group down to stop gun manufacturing in the US.

Nah,,, he's too much of a capitolist pig to shoot down profits fro idealogy.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Garcia: what is the OAL of that bullet when loaded? If it is less than 1.650 then just chamfering the chamber mouth should be enough to fix the problem as I would surmise that the bullet is getting hooked on the sharp edge of the chamber mouth. I had the same problem with 250 gr LBT WFN's in my gun before the chamfer..

IF you are not running that boolit at warp velocity, another solution would be to use .45 Schofield cases (like .44 spec cases instead of magnum case), which would make a shorter OAL length, and thus work in your app. Someone above suggested just shortening .45LC cases, and knocking .050 off them would be easy to do, and probably get you where you need to go. The suggestion of using nickle plated cases for segregation purposes was not a bad idea either.

1000 fps in a pistol will be 14-1700 fps in a rifle. That boolit will go clean thru an Elk at 1000 fps so how much do you actually need? :veryconfu

I am looking at having a mould made that is a 300-310 gr version of Lyman 429244. IE one more driving band, same nose length. This boolit will be at 1.660 OAL when loaded in a magnum case, and will do anything I could ever imagine from my Ruger SBH Bisley, Marlin .44 cal Rifle or Carbine, and when loaded in .44 Spec cases in my BH Bisley. Yours should do the same thing except better penetration than the .44's have.(higher sectional density)

With around 10gr of Unique, (you should look this up yourself) these are actually "Mid-Range Loads",,, you probably don't want to run a plain based boolit any faster than about 1400 fps in a rifle anyway. But I ask you, does any one really need more from these guns? Any more and recoil becomes an issue, and lets face it,,, in a SHTF situation, :Fire: the hit and subsiquent repeat hits are going to be more important than ultimate power and a couple hundred more FPS.

Remember the gun only weighs 6.5lbs. Those big Boolits are going to fight back!

Randy

Ed in North Texas
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
snip

I have heard that GEo Soros owns a bunch of Cerberus? If that is true he might just shut the Freedom Group down to stop gun manufacturing in the US.

Nah,,, he's too much of a capitolist pig to shoot down profits fro idealogy.

Randy

You may be right about his Socialist politics vs. income producing investments.

But the e-Mail floating around claiming that Sorry er Soros owns Cerberus is false.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7136

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/freedom.asp

W.R.Buchanan
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Ed: That's good to know. I'm glad the NRA came out and clarified this point. The proposition of him controlling the firearms industry in this country is pretty scary.

However if I was elected Pres, one of my first actions would be to remove his **** from this country, and send a bunch of his minions with him too..

I don't like people with large amounts of money getting into social engineering. I also don't like Movie Stars becoming activists and using their celebrity to sway the minds of stupid people that will believe anything. Jane Fonda comes to mind. nothing good ever comes of it.

Look at what we've got for a guy running this country right now. Good voice, can deliver a speech well (even if he doesn't understand the meaning of half the words he speaks), and alot of support from fools.

Lots of fools out there!

Randy

Pioneer2
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Scummier yet is sporting goods stores in Canada still selling old stock since the June recall of 1895's and 1894 's instead of doing the paperwork to send the whole $hit load back were it came from.Many of these guns can not even be loaded with out jamming.Gravel Agency is the Canadian Warranty center and they are over flowing with Marlins.....Harold

Norbrat
12-06-2011, 08:55 PM
what has freedom arms have to do with marlin firearms?? or Cerberus? Have I been gone that long that I missed all this?

Freedom GROUP owns Remington/Marlin, etc, nothing to do with Freedom ARMS

1kshooter
12-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Scummier yet is sporting goods stores in Canada still selling old stock since the June recall of 1895's and 1894 's instead of doing the paperwork to send the whole $hit load back were it came from.Many of these guns can not even be loaded with out jamming.Gravel Agency is the Canadian Warranty center and they are over flowing with Marlins.....Harold

I hear that! loud and clear....I had to insist on man handeling 11 1894ss before I was able to find one that was ....safe!! I love my Marlins and I hope that they fix this **** so I can buy more...or I will not!

Wrbjr
12-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I gather from this thread that the problems are associated with the 1894 and 1895 models? Are others reported with problems as well? My 336 was manufactured in 2009 I am told... I can find no problems at all with it. Just wondering....

W.R.Buchanan
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Wrbjr: get a copy of the current Rifle Magazine.jan 2012. Brian Pearce has a column on this exact thing and Marlin is just being retooled it is not going anywhere.. Some of the most popular guns are currently being made, and the other shorter run guns will come back as the new tooling is in place.

Some of the stuff they were using at the old plant was over 100 years old, and it was not cost effective to use it any longer. Everything we use is being retooled onto CNC machinery, This is the way all guns are being made nowadays, and if you look at the quality of generic guns like AR's and other mass produced guns you will see that the interchangability of parts has never been greater.

There is virtually no fitting required on an AR. Glock parts are 100 % interchangable, as well as many other guns. This is good for the industry and more properly for the consumer. Being able to buy an inexpensive replacement trigger for your Glock and being to install it yourself is a good thing..

People need to realize that most of the machines in a modern machine shop were designed and built specifically for use in manufacturing interchangable parts for guns. All that other WKrap we get from machines like cars and sewing machines is just gravy. Guns were the original reason for the machines, and those machines are now evolving, and the people using them and the products being produced must evolve too!

Marlin will be back into full production soon and the products they will make will be better than ever. Don't let the nay sayers ruin your opinion of this company it will survive and it will prosper.

If I had bought the company I would have done the same thing to it, except it would be happening in CA not NY. That way I could drive to work.

Randy

Wrbjr
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Wrbjr: get a copy of the current Rifle Magazine.jan 2012. Brian Pearce has a column on this exact thing and Marlin is just being retooled it is not going anywhere.. Some of the most popular guns are currently being made, and the other shorter run guns will come back as the new tooling is in place.

Some of the stuff they were using at the old plant was over 100 years old, and it was not cost effective to use it any longer. Everything we use is being retooled onto CNC machinery, This is the way all guns are being made nowadays, and if you look at the quality of generic guns like AR's and other mass produced guns you will see that the interchangability of parts has never been greater.

There is virtually no fitting required on an AR. Glock parts are 100 % interchangable, as well as many other guns. This is good for the industry and more properly for the consumer. Being able to buy an inexpensive replacement trigger for your Glock and being to install it yourself is a good thing..

People need to realize that most of the machines in a modern machine shop were designed and built specifically for use in manufacturing interchangable parts for guns. All that other WKrap we get from machines like cars and sewing machines is just gravy. Guns were the original reason for the machines, and those machines are now evolving, and the people using them and the products being produced must evolve too!

Marlin will be back into full production soon and the products they will make will be better than ever. Don't let the nay sayers ruin your opinion of this company it will survive and it will prosper.

If I had bought the company I would have done the same thing to it, except it would be happening in CA not NY. That way I could drive to work.

Randy

Thanks! Will pick up a copy tonight. I love my Marlin....:bigsmyl2:

PatMarlin
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Lordy- I would love to own a 100 year old lathe out of Marlin New Haven, Conn.

39a's a boat anchor? Holy cow, they must have screwed them up. My 1970 is an accurate gem. Bought it new.

Gee_Wizz01
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I gather from this thread that the problems are associated with the 1894 and 1895 models? Are others reported with problems as well? My 336 was manufactured in 2009 I am told... I can find no problems at all with it. Just wondering....

The problems extend to most of Marlins lever action line, especially the 308MX and 338MX models. I am on my second 338MX with a misaligned barrel, also known as barrel droop. The scope mounts on these rifles have to be shimmed about .050 just to get them to zero. My first rifle wouldn't even cycle when I received it, the back end of the receiver had a huge flat ground into the curved surface, and wouldn't group better than 6" at 100yds. The rifle was returned for repair, and after almost 6 months, they sent me back a new rifle. The new rifle has the same barrel droop. Now they just want to give me my money back, but they don't want to compensate me for the scope mounts, reloading dies, brass, bullets, and a year of frustration. I want a the gun I paid for. They had no problem selling these bad guns, but they either don't want to fix them, or can't fix them.

I have always liked Brian Pearce, but the guys that worked at Marlin at the time of the takeover say his article is pure Cerebus B.S. . I suggest you look over at the Marlin Owners site to see the real issues. Marlin's issues started when they were taken over by Freedom Group.

I sincerely hope that Marlin gets their act cleaned up I don't want to see another American Icon go down the tubes because of a bunch bean counters buying up companies and destroying them in the name of more money.

Rant Over

G