PDA

View Full Version : 12 gauge slugs

Crawdaddy
10-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I just found this site, looks great!

The last eight months have been consumed with casting. I started on a whim and now it is an obsession.

I spent about a month trying to load up accurate slug loads and finally found success. I can get three almost touching at a hundred yards.

I use a Lee 7/8 ounce mold. The slug is designed to be used with a wad.

I cut the hull down to 2.5 inches.
Then I prime and charge the hull
I cut the wad down so the petals go 3/4 of the way up the slug
I put the slug in the wad and seat with a Lee Load All. You can use your fingers but it takes a little pressure.
I then run it through a home made Sizer ( the hull expands a little)

When looking at the pics below (far left 4 shells) you will ask do they fall out ? (NOPE) and will they cycle in a pump (YEP!)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6209095311_6507e88a43_b_d.jpg

longbow
10-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Lots of good info here for sure.

Welcome to the wonderful (and often frustrating) world of casting for shotguns!

Sounds like you have a good load going there. What gun are you shooting them in? I am assuming rifled with that kind of accuracy.

Longbow

eye shot
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Way to go Crawdaddy! I to have done away with crimping. Since I'm using a single shot I don't have to cut the hulls down. I'm shooting full bore slugs and sealing with bees wax.

Beagler
10-04-2011, 12:11 AM

Sounds like you have a good load going there. What gun are you shooting them in? I am assuming rifled with that kind of accuracy.

Longbow

Frustrating You got that right!!!

Beagler
10-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I started with the Lee 1oz'ers and never had a problem. The Lyman 525 slugs are what got me pulling my hair out. Two years of trying to get this slug to shoot I just about gave up until I found Cast Boolits and with everbodys different ideas and info I now have a load that groups great and a pile of loaded shells ready for the woods. These shells really roar out of my H and R ultra Slugger!!!

missionary5155
10-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Good morning Crawdaddy & welcome about.
It brings joy to the heart to read about succes with a 12 bore. Those rifled barrels have turned the shotgun into a precision large bore.
I wonder how easy things would have been had someone started making modern barrels for popular shotguns with slow twist for round balls ?
Mike in Peru

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Longbow

I should have included that information. It is a Mossberg 500C, rifled slug barrel, with a Nikon 3x9 scope.

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Way to go Crawdaddy! I to have done away with crimping. Since I'm using a single shot I don't have to cut the hulls down. I'm shooting full bore slugs and sealing with bees wax.

Never thought of sealing them. I assume because of moisture? I live in NM and 20% humidity is a bad day, but it would never hurt to seal them. I like the idea.

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Frustrating You got that right!!!

Agreed. Most of the time I can find a decent load in one ore two settings at the range. This took a month. 3 different types of wads, 3 different types of hulls, full crimp, partial crimp, no crimp. Heavy charge, light charge etc. Shotgun loading is a whole 'nother world.

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I started with the Lee 1oz'ers and never had a problem. The Lyman 525 slugs are what got me pulling my hair out. Two years of trying to get this slug to shoot I just about gave up until I found Cast Boolits and with everbodys different ideas and info I now have a load that groups great and a pile of loaded shells ready for the woods. These shells really roar out of my H and R ultra Slugger!!!

They look good too!

Saiga .410
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Would you mind telling me the diameter and weight of the slug going to the right one before last.

Junior1942
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Way to go Crawdaddy! I to have done away with crimping. Since I'm using a single shot I don't have to cut the hulls down. I'm shooting full bore slugs and sealing with bees wax.Sealing with beeswax? Explain how, please.

phaessler
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Crawdaddy Welcome to the madness!!

Sounds like youve done some good research too :)

Just a thought, alot of guys are "shimming" the mossberg where the barrel interfaces with the reciever, and have reported closing their groups up considerably.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=193875

Pete

chambers
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I agree loading for slugs is a whole different ball game. So many different components that just don't work with one another. Settled on AA hulls, Winchester WSF powder, Lyman Slug, Winchester Wad, nitro card hot glued to wad, and a roll crimp. That took forever to test and retest, could spend a lot more time.

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Would you mind telling me the diameter and weight of the slug going to the right one before last.

.683 inches

383 grains made from a lee 7/8 ounce mold

Crawdaddy
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Crawdaddy Welcome to the madness!!

Sounds like youve done some good research too :)

Just a thought, alot of guys are "shimming" the mossberg where the barrel interfaces with the reciever, and have reported closing their groups up considerably.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=193875

Pete

Thanks, I'm going to try that.

jmsj
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Crawdaddy,
Welcome to Castboolits. It is good to see another NM bullet caster here.
Sounds like you really found a great load.
I started casting slugs last year for a 870 smoothbore last year. It was my first endeavor in shotgun shell reloading and I understand what you mean by whole 'nother world. I either had the wrong wads, wrong hulls or the wrong primers. After much trying and much help/advise from the guys here I was able to get a load shooting good enough for it's intended purpose.
This week I've got an 11-87P barrel coming this week and I'm going to try and develop a roundball load for it.
Welcome again and good luck, jmsj

Crawdaddy
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks.
Let me know how you make out.

I'm outside of Abq in the mountains. You?

jmsj
10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Crawdaddy,
I'm up in Colfax county near Cimarron.

Junior1942
10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Sealing with beeswax? Explain how, please.Bump.

Crawdaddy
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Crawdaddy,
I'm up in Colfax county near Cimarron.

Love that area.

OnHoPr
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Crawdaddy did you get any ripped pedals on the wads with that technique? Also, how many fps estimated, referring to low velocity (1100-1400) or higher velocity (1500-1700)?

eye shot
10-07-2011, 12:44 AM
junior1942 I use beeswax from a hooby store. It comes in little pellets and I use about 6 for 12ga. I use a small candle and a spoon, heat and pour around slug. The beeswax should water proof and help lube the bore against fouling.

Junior1942
10-07-2011, 07:18 AM
junior1942 I use beeswax from a hooby store. It comes in little pellets and I use about 6 for 12ga. I use a small candle and a spoon, heat and pour around slug. The beeswax should water proof and help lube the bore against fouling.Thanks!!
I use uncrimped slug loads, so I might try a tad of beeswax as a glue to keep the slug & wad in place.

Crawdaddy
10-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Crawdaddy did you get any ripped pedals on the wads with that technique? Also, how many fps estimated, referring to low velocity (1100-1400) or higher velocity (1500-1700)?

I didn't put the crony on them but am estimating 1400.

No ripped petals that I saw.