PDA

View Full Version : What Gun Do You Regret Buying?

metweezer
10-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Is there one handgun or rifle that you just say to yourself 'why did I waste my money on this?' The manufacturers put on pretty good ads about their guns to intice you to buy but is there any one that you wish you had never bought? [smilie=b: :killingpc
Steve

Baja_Traveler
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I had buyers remorse after I got my Sig Mosquito and had tons of FTF and Jams with the recommended CCI mini mags. Then I found out by accident the pistol just loves Walmart bulk Federals and I haven't had a problem since. So now there's no regrets for anything in the safe...

44man
10-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Two, the Marlin in .44 mag and a Bisley that my hands can't take. Both are gone. [smilie=s:

zac0419
10-03-2011, 11:16 PM
For me it was a lightweight 300WSM (I had a brief affliction with manumitus) The rifle shot well but it rattled my teeth every time I pulled the trigger. I sold it and backed off to a .308 and love it. I wanted a hunting rifle but I also enjoy shooting. I can burn .308's all day without getting a headache.

white eagle
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
just about the time I start to regret a bad choice I find a new niche for it so all is good in gunville

jh45gun
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Only gun I ever regretted was my first pistol. It was one of them Cheap German made 22 SSA's made back in the late 60s Early 70's I bought it when I was 18 at a hardware store which was a trip since in WI you had to be 21 to purchase or possess a pistol at the time. Thing was junk it wore out really fast and lost timing and was just terrible. I took it back and complained and I got my money back. I think the only reason I could was they realized they made a mistake selling it to me as I was not old enough.

castblaster
10-04-2011, 12:52 AM
44man.

What did you not like about the marlin 44mag? Was it a lever?

Matt Hooper

williamwaco
10-04-2011, 12:55 AM
#1) Winchester M-70 .375H&H

#2) Marlin .444

DAMN those things hurt.

Ilwil
10-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Sig Mosquito .22. Crappy accuracy with all ammo, will not work with anything but very expensive CCI Mini-Mags, A very disappointing piece.

redneckdan
10-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Glock model 22. Was able to sell it and the magazines for enough profit to get a S&W model 629

RKJ
10-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Llama mini max double stack 45. That thing couldn't go through a mag w/o either FTF or FTE, I sent back for repair twice then traded it for about 1/3 what I paid. I was glad to be shed of it though.

big dale
10-04-2011, 06:42 AM
My S&W model 41. During the two years I owned it it spent 20 months back at the factory so they could try several times to get it where it could go bang for an entire clip of ammo. They were never successful.

Big Dale

357shooter
10-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Dan Wesson 357 Magnum. Maybe my expectations were too high. I expected it to shoot more accurately than the Taurus 66 (6 inch) I had at the time, it didn't. The hype came from internet forums more than factory ads.

After buying a new barrel and even getting help from Dan Wesson support, sold it off. It wasn't junk, but it wasn't special either. It was OK at best.

Dan Cash
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM
K31 Swiss. I don't know what posessed me. Never shoot it and likely never will. Just seemed a good idea at the time.

torker
10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I purchased a Kimber Tac Pro II (45 acp 4 " alum frame) What a mistake. Would not work right even after (break-in period, 500-600 rds.) Was so disappointed with it, hype on the net and manufactors hype. Did all the normal mods to it. (Used it for a hammer when finishing my dinning room walls)

It became a piece of worthless junk. During this time it was sent back to kimber 3 times for repairs. They claimed that it works fine with 230 grn RN only and suggested that I use them only for this gun.

What??? Could not believe they would say that. Well, after more more than 4 yrs of sitting in the safe, I replaced everything in that gun with Dan Wesson parts, Wolfe springs,etc.

Now the gun works. Would not trust it in a SD situation. It now is a range-only gun.
What a waste of money.....

Wildcat
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Just one. A Dan Wesson .44 I bought on my 21st birthday. It was okay but I passed on a Smith .44 at the same price ($250.00) to buy it. The Smith was a bit blue worn, had these unique factory grips shaped like a coke bottle, and didn't even have "29" stamped in the crane. Its haunted me ever since.

Hickory
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
A Dan Wesson also.
I had the choice of a 4" 22 Colt Diamondback, or
a 22 Dan Wesson with a 4" and 6" barrel.
The Dan Wesson was pure junk.
The threaded area for the barrel was bored
and threaded off center. DW would not make it right.

garym1a2
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi-point 45acp carbine. Peice of ****. Worse trigger pull ever, could not get it zeroed and lead like crazy with cast bullets. Plus with the spring loaded butplate it kick you in the mouth everytime you tried to aim fire the thing.

Shooter6br
10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Dad talked me into getting Arminus 22RF/22mag DA over Ruger single six. 40 years later I traded it in on a nice SS used Ruger Single six. I did get $140 for the Arminis exactly what I payed for it new......

mold maker
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM
The only one I really regret was the first one. If I had never bought that Rem. 22 rifle, I would have gobs of money and lots of left over time.
Now I'm spending all my time and money on guns and the related equipment, plus I'm running out of space. My truck has to stay in the drive, cause the garage is full of casting and loading gear and supplies. My pots and pans are contaminated with lead and various wax mixtures. My recliner is surrounded by gun magazines and manuals. My bed has not been slept in. My carpet is full of spent primers. My porch is caving in from all the lead and brass stored there. My neighbors are mad about the stinking smoke from melting wheel weights.
I should have took up golf.

44man
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM
44man.

What did you not like about the marlin 44mag? Was it a lever?

Matt Hooper
I love lever guns but the .44 twist of 1 in 38" was too much of a trip for me.

44man
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
The only one I really regret was the first one. If I had never bought that Rem. 22 rifle, I would have gobs of money and lots of left over time.
Now I'm spending all my time and money on guns and the related equipment, plus I'm running out of space. My truck has to stay in the drive, cause the garage is full of casting and loading gear and supplies. My pots and pans are contaminated with lead and various wax mixtures. My recliner is surrounded by gun magazines and manuals. My bed has not been slept in. My carpet is full of spent primers. My porch is caving in from all the lead and brass stored there. My neighbors are mad about the stinking smoke from melting wheel weights.
I should have took up golf.
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2: Then your house and bed would be full of clubs and balls. Your carpet would be full of divits! Then every closet would have the latest golf bags. [smilie=s:

bedwards
10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Well...... Lorcin 25 auto too small, Remington 870 couldn't keep for end tight, Ithaca model 37 stayed jammed every dove hunt, Savage 110 in 300 mag. not fun to shoot (think mule kick), Chinese copy of Torkarev 9mm sharp edges bloodied my hand although my dad bought one at the same time shoots great.
I have regretted getting rid of most I have ever traded off though.

be

subsonic
10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
10/22 stainless - cylced fine but wouldn't group under 2" at 25yds scoped and with any ammo tried. Some had a hard time staying on a paper plate. Didn't bother trying to send it back.

Love Life
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
S&W 327 PC TRR8. Piece of junk from the factory that wore out in 6 months shooting only 38 specials. It's ok though. I have decided to give S&W another chance.

firefly1957
10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Chinese double barrel shotgun with exposed hammers quality is low, triggers to heavy, shot placement not consistent (changing point of aim), Sears are made of soft material, with any load more than light skeet load safety resets upon shooting. I could go on but I think you get the idea it was $206 out the door new and I have it put up and no longer use it at all.

captaint
10-04-2011, 10:06 AM
My first gun. It was a Savage Mod 24V - 22mag over 3" 20 ga. Piece of s**t. Terrible trigger, not accurate at all. Soured me on 22mag forever. Other than that, I'd but every one of them again. enjoy Mike

Trey45
10-04-2011, 10:19 AM
The biggest piece of junk I have ever owned was a Rossi 357 magnum stainless snub nose revolver. The cylinder locked up after every shot, I had to open and close the cylinder after every shot for the cylinder to turn when I squeezed the trigger. Even pulling the hammer wouldn't rotate the cylinder, I had to open and close the cylinder after every shot. It would shoot 38 special just fine, but try to shoot more than one magnum in it and it locked right up. I sent it back to Rossi, they eventually got around to fixing it and mailed it back, I sold it immediately. I'll never own another Rossi again, at least not on purpose.

Kraschenbirn
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Stainless Mitchell High-Standard "Victor"...without a doubt!! For years, I'd shot HS .22s for bullseye and when my "best" HS Military Citation developed a crack in the frame (it had already been rebuilt, once, by J. Clark, Sr), I decided to treat myself to a new HS Victor. What a piece of junk!! It took a trip back to the factory, replacement of all springs, and installation of a new carbon-steel extractor, just to get it to function reliably through a complete match and then it still wouldn't shoot any better than 2" 25-yard groups from Ransom Rest.

Sold it online, bought a new Clark/Ruger .22/45, and never looked back.

Bill

casterofboolits
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
There are three. AMT Commander 45ACP, AMT long slide 45 ACP and most recently a KelTec PF9.

I will never buy any of these brands again! :(:(:dung_hits_fan:

kyle623
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Jennings J9. most dangerous piece of **** I ever owned. Went off when I was clearing the chamber once and shot a hole in the bed just inches above where my leg was. The clip that held the slide down had broke and let the firing pin come forward with the slide partway back. Jennings sent me new parts and i traded it off before i got hurt.

azchisum
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Lousy trigger and muzzel heavy. Wished I had a 629..

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
1981. A High Standard "Crusader" DA revolver in 45LC. I was sooooo proud of myself. Took it and the new wife up to Salmon, and showed it to Elmer Keith. We went out to his gunsmith's place and shot it. Couldn't fire a cylinder full with out a malfunction. It finally broke something inside about round 30. He just shook his head, sighed a bit and told me "I told you the S&W were the only good Magnum DA revolvers."

I sent it back, they gave me some guff, and did not want to make it right. The third phone call I told them who was shooting it when it broke. They sent me a new one.
I traded it at the gunshop when it came in for a 'smith.

Rich

scrapcan
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Model 94 Taurus 22 double action 9 shot revolver. Just not a good time for me. Something on the lines of a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Shuz
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
S&W Bodyguard 380ACP.
FTF and FTE from the getgo with factory ammo and reloads. It went back to the factory 4 times and on it's last trip I asked for a full refund and received it.

drklynoon
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I bought a berreta neos .22 from a friend it just wasn't all that acurate. I also traded a P97 ruger for a universal .30 carbine the rear sight screw was bent and it wouldn't stay in place. So I traded both for a 22/45 MK III ruger and I love it acurate fun and feeds everything so I made chicken salad out of my two flops.

odfairfaxsub
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
keltec pf9. bought the gun online. it came with a pitted barrel brand new from the factory. sent the barrel back they gave me a new one that was kinda worse. Boo keltec. what a lame excuse for a american built firearm. i hate them. i wouldnt' even work for a company that sent products brand new out like that

jh45gun
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
After giving this some more thought a couple of Ruger Single actions pretty much soured me on Ruger guns I will never own an other unless I can shoot it first.

9.3X62AL
10-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Early 1980s Auto-Ordnance 1911A1. It ran all right, but the metal was junk and began peening and wearing very soon after I bought it. I threw it into the safe and sat on it for years, until a medically-retired friend needed a project gun for a 'smithing school he was attending. Have at it, and welcome. He turned it into a VERY NICE pistol, but most of the OEM parts were swapped out.

Marie bought a SIG-Sauer Mosquito right after they came out, intending it to be a sub-caliber trainer for her P-228. The thing refused to run reliably for her, and her response was SELL THIS ***! I'm not one to throw in the towel easily, and after 400 rounds of Mini-Mags the pistol began to diminish frequency of feeding fark-ups. By 1500 rounds, it was running very well and continues to do so. It just took a VERY LONG break-in period to get right. Its accuracy isn't match-grade, but it will sluice rats and jacks to 50 yards pretty capably.

P.K.
10-04-2011, 06:19 PM
"Regret Buying?" Never, more like regret marrying. The first time around I lost an 870, Mdl 700 and a P-95 to a pawn shop so I could afford a lawyer to divorce her sorry A$$ and a one way plane ticket. I didn't get much but it was enough to cover the difference and get the job done. Of the three I miss the 700 the most.

HammerMTB
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
The bottom of my list:
Worst, a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145. Terrible trigger. DAO so you couldn't get away from the poor trigger.
Next, a Kel-Tec P-11. This one as a gun was a tie with the Mil-Pro, but because it was given to me, it ranks next to worst. Another terrible trigger, DAO, sights so poor you might as well not use them, cheap piece of junk.
3rd worst, a Taurus 24/7 compact .45. I thought it might be better than the Mil-Pro. It was in that it was SA/DA. A little more accurate, but not much. Sights were off 10" at 12 yards.
Good thing is, there's always someone looking for a belly gun. These fit right in.
I came across a Glock 30, that did all the things I wanted of a SD sidearm, and did them all reliably and well. It may cost more, but it's worth every penny!:bigsmyl2:

longhorn
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Let's see, a rather nicely made American Derringer in 3" .410; I believe I fired it twice and my father fired it twice--neither one of us tough enough to reload and try it again. Contender Super 16 barrel in .45-70 with fiberglass buttstock from Choate-I'd rather shoot a box of 20 through my M70 .375 from the bench than 1 more from that Contender. And an AMT Hardballer--probably the single most frustrating mechanical device I've ever had the misfortune of owning-and I owned a Ford Maverick once upon a time.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Brass frame .36 cap and ball revolver. Brass is real nice to clean bp off of, but a frame made of brass is too soft and it wouldn't hold the barrel pin in place. Next time, get a steel frame .36, brass trigger guards are OK.

shotstring
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Would be a toss up between a Detonics stainless 45 that shot 2 feet high with no adjustment on the sights possible and the first heavy duty stainless derringers that came out in 10 mm that shot way high as well. Fired it once and it broke several blood vessels on the fatty part of my right thumb and was black and blue for weeks. The most painful gun I have ever fired.

lbaize3
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
A Calico 9mm carbine. The 100 round magazines simply would not feed. Lost a bundle on that piece of junk.

tinsnips
10-06-2011, 11:01 PM
A Taurus PT24 40 cal. could not make it hit anything as a matter of fact anything made by Taurus is a cheap piece of junk!!

rtracy2001
10-06-2011, 11:08 PM
US revolver corp. hammerless revolver in 38 S&W. Showed up late to the auction so I didn't get to inspect. It was listed as 38 sp. Haven't even bothered to fix it yet.

pls1911
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Savage 112 .223 tapered heavy barrel. Nice gun, should probably be a great shooter, but have never shot it... several years now, I'll take it and trade it off someday, probably for something else i don't need.

NickSS
10-07-2011, 05:38 AM
I have had numerous guns that did not live up to expectations and so went down the road fast. A few memorable ones were: AMT Hardballer malfunctions galore and not accurate; Taurus 63 numerous malfunctions; Savage bolt gun (really old one from the 30s in 300 Savage) bullets would tumble right at the muzzle; Ruger No 1 in 458 Win Mag that would not shoot cast bullets without them tumbling until I got them going at 1800 fps when they were not longer fun to shoot. There were others that were disappointments. This was especially true of Ruger CF rifles only about 50% that I bought would shoot to my minimum requirements. Today I am so leary of Ruger rifles that I do ot buy them though I love their looks. I hope they have better barrels these days but at this time I own only two Ruger CF rifles a 1972 vintage Model 77 in 7X 57 and a 2007 Vintage 308 bull barrel varminter style. These both shoot well so remain.

HDS
10-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Glock 17, traded in my Jericho 941 for it, in retrospect I feel that was a big misstake.

Now I am stuck with the glock though, as gun laws changed for the worse in Finland and handguns aren't as easy to get permits for anymore, permits are no longer life time either. All my existing handguns though, including the Glock where grandfathered in so they are immune. So for that reason alone I can't see myself swapping it.

Sure wish I had that jericho back, or a P226 instead. Atleast I have a 1911.

Potsy
10-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I bought/traded my way into a nice DWM '95 Mauser 7mm, tuned down aftermarket bolt handle, polished bolt, fajen California Style Stock. Accurate too. Bubba done a fine job.
Problem was, when I wanted to trade it on something else (can't remember what) folks would see a young fella carrying what looked like a very early Weatherby around the gun show.
They'd run up and ask "how much for the old Weatherby?!", and I'd start "well...it's a '95 Mauser 7mm". They'd look at me like I'd attempted to defraud them.
After a while, it wasn't getting used, I needed truck tires, so I got annoyed at it and sold it for about half what I paid for it.
That's the only gun I regret buying. In retrospect, I regret selling it more than I regret buying it.

rintinglen
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
LLama mini-max. It goes bang, but is only minute of barn wall. 70's era Ruger Black Hawk 357/9mm convertible that was awful--couldn't get it centered on paper with anything. Mags shot low, 38's shot high, 9MM was a shotgun. That one put me off Rugers for years, but last June I ordered a 44 Special Flat Top and wow, what a fine gun!! If they all shot like that no one would own anything else.

justingrosche
10-07-2011, 06:43 PM
A Savage 10 in 270 .The stock is flimsy as tupperware ,the trigger sucks, and it hasn't had any signs of accuracy with either cast or jacketed in any weight I've tried. It'll be going down the road very soon I hope.

The Amateur
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I regret getting a Colt .25acp many years ago; total ***!
I am remorsfull for selling my 1917 M-96b Swedish Mouser.
Both stuuupid moves on my part.

MT Gianni
10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I bought a Ruger P-89 that I poaid for by selling s 4" model 19. The high capacity mag ban was going into effect and I panicked. The first time I tried to shoot it DA I reread the manual looking for the extra safety. The trigger pull must have been around twenty pounds. SA was a lot better only eight or nine lbs. I shot it in and got it so it would hit a paper plate @ 25 yards 7 or 8 shots out of 10 with cast. J words were a little better. It was sold and the CZ that replaced it has been nice.

Reverend Recoil
10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
In my case it was a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-745, 45ACP. There were constant failures to fire. The firing pin would often only slightly dent the primer. Twice this pistol went back to the Taurus service center and twice returned with the same problem. You get what you pay for. I will never buy another Taurus product. Taurus claims to offer a lifetime waranty. My question is, "Who's lifetime?"

NHGrumpyGramps
10-09-2011, 06:06 AM
I bought one of the first Taurus Millenium PT111, 9mm and hated it from the moment I first tried it. Too bad you can do a "test drive" on guns before purchase. The trigger was terrible and my finger was numb after shooting a magazine. I tried some cast loads and the bullets ended up hitting the target sideways. I didn't spend anytime after that even trying to find loads that would work, just stuck it in the safe. Couple years ago I traded it for a real gun, a S&W 610.

missionary5155
10-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Good morning
Years ago when we were in Chattanooga I bought an RG 38 Special revolver. We had a very limited budget at the time ... Would have been far better to have made a slingshot & saved the funds to buy a few more popsicles.
Mike in Peru

ColColt
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I can't recall any I regret buying but quite a few I regret selling/trading. I never bought any off the wall brands so had no regrets. I tried the Glock 22 but both times I tried it over the years I ended up selling it or trading-just didn't like the recoil pattern-too snappy for me.

If it doesn't say S&W, Colt, Ruger, Glock, Sig, etc, I don't buy them. This is course doesn't include any of the upscale brands like Les Baer, Wilson or Ed Brown. They're in another league that I'm out of.

scb
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't regret buying it but I had a P08 for only a very shot time. It was a shooter and I shot it quite a little one summer. It just didn't impress me. In 9mm much prefer my P35.

Shooter6br
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Now that I remeber SIG 250c in 45 ACp. Hated DOA. Traded it in on a Kimber Target II s/s Took a big beating on the Sig

x101airborne
10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Hmmm..... Lets see.

1. Remington 742 woodsmaster
2. Remington 597 22 semi auto. Blew up on the VERY FIRST round.
3. Bushmaster M-17 bullpup.
4. Brit Enfield 303. It was worn out and I should have known better.
5. Ruger blackhawk 44 mag 3" custom with slick grips. Full house loads cut my hand every time.
6. Taurus Tracker 44 mag. Wore it out 4 times in a year and a half. Then blew out my left ear the first time I fired it without protection.
7. Ruger #1 in 257 roberts. That gun never hit anything. Two inch groups at 100 with any ammo.
8. Weatherby vanguard in 300 weatherby mag. Talk about expensive to shoot!!!

mtgrs737
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
A Llama 44 mag that got out of the factory without the barrel being screwed in all the way to the shoulder, so it had a hair line gap between the frame and barrel.

jh45gun
10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Henry pump .22- special ordered from a dealer and .22 purchased new. Was bound up internally so that hammer fall was weak. Would not go off about 25% of the time. Sights were misaligned to the point where it could not be regulated to hit point of aim. Front sight was plastic. The only nice thing about it was the quality of the walnut stock. Traded it off at a big loss.

If you had sent the gun back to Henry and they would have paid for shipping both ways they would have either fixed your rifle or replaced it. Do you complain about the plastic on your other guns.? Besides that asking Henry they would have given you a free iron sight upgrade since they make metal ones now.

Trebor Snave
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Have to admit I've had a few. First was a French-made 25 acp that I got from an ex-girlfriends mother - didn't care for it so I sold it to a buddy for what I had into it ($25). He took a sledgehammer to it after the sear broke and it went full auto on him. That was the only real ***; I've gotten rid of a S&W 625 that had been turned into an IDPA racegun when I realized I wasn't going to shoot IDPA with it and a Ruger NM Blackhawk 45 Colt when I realized I like shorter barrels better than the 7.5" tube that it carried. They both went to good homes.

freedomlives
10-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Glock 17-- I was 16, turned libertarian, convinced I needed to be able to defend myself and others, but not really thinking things through. Only after getting it did I realize that deeply concealed carry and a Glock 17 don't go well together. The next year I got a Kel-Tec P3AT and pocket holster, which served quite well. Once I was older and got a licence I did open-carry the Glock a bit, and I never had any reliability problems with it, etc.

On the other hand, shortly after my 21st birthday I ended up with one of those greatly maligned Rohm .22LR revolvers, because for $25 how could I resist. That one I don't regret at all. :smile: As long as I use sub-sonic, CB, or "super-Kolibri" it works great for taking out tin-cans.

1bluehorse
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I honestly cannot remember ever buying a gun that I regretted purchasing. However I don't do a lot of "whim" buying either. I did buy a Ruger mini-14 once and after a while (couple years) realized I had absoulutely no use for it, nice gun, just didn't have a use for it. Like the rest of you though, I've gotten rid of a few that I sincerely regretted afterwards.

Mk42gunner
10-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Taurus Millenium PT111, at least I think that was the model. It was striker fired and no amount of stoning would improve the trigger pull. I am not kidding that every MK 5 Very pistol I ever had custody of had a better trigger.

There were a few feeding problems; not many because I think I only had it three or four weeks.

The only good thing I can say about it is that when I found my 6 1/2" Ruger SSM and needed a few more dollars, there was no doubt about which gun was getting sold.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Browning Buckmark.

I've had two of them, they feel so nice on your hand.
but both of them were Jam-o-matics.
I tried all different brands of ammo and all the little tricks.

It's funny, our rim-fire pistol league is sponsored by a local gunshop,
they are a browning dealer. Half the guys shoot the buckmark,
the other half "use to" shoot the buckmark.

I lost my butt on trades on both of those buckmarks.
Never again !
Jon

GL49
10-13-2011, 02:19 AM
S&W 6906. Can't say I regret buying it, just wish it was different. It's accurate, never jams, throws the brass into nice neat little piles, feeds anything I try to put into it, the grips are comfortable, but dang-it, there's just something about the balance and weight of the gun in my hand that just doesn't feel right. If I could get an after-market stainless STEEL frame for the doggone thing, the aluminum frame would quickly make it to the recycle bin.

Cannoneer
10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Is there one handgun or rifle that you just say to yourself 'why did I waste my money on this?' The manufacturers put on pretty good ads about their guns to intice you to buy but is there any one that you wish you had never bought? [smilie=b: :killingpc
Steve

A pair of American Frontier Firearms 1860 Colt Conversions. Worst mistake I ever made.:killingpc[smilie=b:

gandydancer
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I had two 1 a savage model 99 F Feather weight in 308 every time I shot it it would bloody my teeth on the right side of my face sold it off. told him all about it he said I was a wimp. that fall he sold it off. # 2 was a custom 44 mag mfg by texas longhorn arms called the keith # 5 in the 80's cost was $1025.00 first two shots went off just fine & cylinder jamed up. back wall had a high spot it was not cut square. sent it back. shipping $25.00 3 weeks later got it back. took it to the range the 1st shot the rear sight blew off shooting factory 44 specials the builder said my loads where to hot. I told him the pin holding the rear sight in was missing he said BS send it back. shipping $25.00 3 weeks later got it back at the range 25 yards 6 shots not bad its a single action went to remove brass. ejecter.houseing spring hold down screw all gone. call mfg. told I am a ***** send it back another $25.00 ask for a refund including my shipping fees. he said OK as long as I kept my mouth shut. 2 weeks later I got a check for $1000.00 he said the other $100.00 was for his time and effort. I knew he was a sick man so I wrote it off. he passed a few months later. and this is the first time I have said any thing about it. GD

DragoonDrake
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Marlin 39A in 22LR that will only shoot shorts. I bought it before I was really casting and reloading so I would have more time on the lever guns. I only keep it so I can shoot in 22LR SASS matches. I have done a ton to that gun to try to get it to shoot. I am sorely tempted to sell it and try another one.

After that would be an Encore rifle with a 22-250 and 270 barrel. I traded a nice crossbow for it and have not shot it in the two years I have had it. When I sell it I don't know, but I will unless I can find a use for those two calibers.

snowwolfe
10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Ruger .45 semi. P85 or P89 possibly. Owned it for about 3 years and tried various ammo and two trips back to the factory. Never could get it to shoot an entire magazine without jamming. Replaced it with a S&W M&P and am very happy.

Tried being cheap and stupid (they seem to go together) and bought a couple of Rossi's back in the 70's. All I can say is this company should not be allowed to build hand guns.

odis
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
TC Contender Super 14 in 222 Rem, just a clumsy carbine. Wish I had bought the .221 Fireball with a 10 in. barrel.

Dave C.
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Ruger 77/22hornet. The good loads shot about an eight inch group at 100 yds.

wtfooptimax200
10-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Can you ever really regret having another gun? Seriously though, I once traded a Remington 1100 with 2 barrels to buy a Winchester 1300 with a fully rifled slug barrel. I miss that 1100 so much, if I didn't buy the Winchester, I'd still have my 1100. Although, I shot my first deer with the Winchester, maybe it wasn't such a bad buy after all

jimb16
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
I had an early S&W .22 semi-auto pistol (can't remember the model) that I could never find ammo that would shoot well in. Tried at least 25 different ones and no joy. Dumped that on in a hurry. I also had a Dan Wesson 3 barrel set in .357 that I could newer get to shoot well. And lastly, I had a Colt Trooper MkIII that I could get to shoot accurately with only one load. With any other load, it shot like a scattergun! Since I have a number of .38s/.357s that didn't particularly like that load, but shot everything else well, I got rid of it. No point in having to have special loads for one gun and something else for all the others.

wolters4
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
A Hi-point 40SW carbine. Thought it would be fun pinking but that thing was so inaccurate I couldn't keep an a 8 plate at 40 yards. Even tried a red dot without much improvement.

Swede44mag
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Stainless Mitchell High-Standard "Victor"...without a doubt!! For years, I'd shot HS .22s for bullseye and when my "best" HS Military Citation developed a crack in the frame (it had already been rebuilt, once, by J. Clark, Sr), I decided to treat myself to a new HS Victor. What a piece of junk!! It took a trip back to the factory, replacement of all springs, and installation of a new carbon-steel extractor, just to get it to function reliably through a complete match and then it still wouldn't shoot any better than 2" 25-yard groups from Ransom Rest.

Sold it online, bought a new Clark/Ruger .22/45, and never looked back.

Bill

I bought a Victor High Standard at a Gun Show after years and many NEW factory clips I couldn't get it to shoot more than 2 shots without jambing. Sold it havent missed that ***.

I also bought a Dan Wesson 8" blue 22 that looked like someone had run a tap in the cylinder. It would spit lead real bad sold it at a Gun Show.

Bought a S&W 10 shot 22 with a 8 3/8" barrel would group about 25" at 25 Yards sold it at the Gun Show.

thegreatdane
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
It's amusing how most junkers departed via gunshow.

sixpointfive
10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Taurus pt145

IridiumRed
10-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Right now I'm hating the Para Ordnance P14 I bought a little while (about 6 months) ago.

Bought it used from a gunshop. Was used, but barely. Made in 2006 or thereabouts

One of the "limited editions" they did for current military groups, so it had some features of the limited / tactical models. Painted (desert tan) finish, night sights, tactical light rail, etc.

This gun has some serious problems with it, in terms of overall machining / alignment / measurements. Looking at the gun, I'm almost 100% certain the gun was made that way, not the result of anyone's hamfisted gunsmithing.

Anyways. I'm disappointed with it, because I've been a supporter / owner of Para Ordnance guns in the past, and always been on their side, even when they got bad press.

Now I understand why they GOT such bad press *shakes head*

I would like to sell it, but I just can't bring myself to sell a gun to someone when it doesn't work. Just doesn't feel right to me. *shrugs* I just dont like that sorta bad Karma following me around.

I'll probably mess with it, until it works, and at that point.... keep it because it works.... haha

Nuke Boy
10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
The :takinWiz:Taurus 945 45ACP! It was fine in the beginning. But the trigger after

a short time would no longer release the hammer. It was all the way back against

the frame. And in my young wisdom I took it all apart to try to fix it! And It sits in my

gun safe to this day in that same condition... But being the nice guy that I am. A few

years later I got a Taurus 94 22LR revolver. What a hunk of junk!!!Would not fire on

the first go around but the second time they would. It was bad in so many ways!

Bought it for 350$ and sold it for 100$. And I told the guy I sold it to it was junk. He

thought it was a great deal! Only good thing to come of it. So the Taurus name is

mud to me!

Blammer
10-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I regret buying my Ruger SRH in 44 mag.

Why? Because it's caused me to buy in excess of 15 different boolit moulds for it. It's caused me tons of money for primers, powder and brass.

:)

dnotarianni
10-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Desert Eagle 44mag Would never run worth a damn except with new Israeli ammo. Only good thing was I had it so long it went up in value and I didn' t loose any money on it

Newtire
10-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Rossi .357 revolver, out of time, Taurus PT92 Stainless, couldn't hit a barn door if you were standing inside it. Ruger .44 mag Deerfield. Not very versatile for lighter loads.

cgtreml
10-29-2011, 10:20 PM
On my 21st birthday I bought a Dan Wesson .357. Had the money for a Colt Python but thought the Dan Wesson looked just as good. Not a bad gun but I think its worth about $300.00 now. Python is a bit more.
Oh by son hunts with the Dan Wesson and thinks its cool. Has had some good luck with is to.

waksupi
10-30-2011, 12:52 AM
I think I am seeing Taurus lead this parade.

Ed K
10-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Likely you are correct.

My mistake was a Taurus 431. I believe I purchased it just before the S&W model 696s were introduced. There was nothing like it at the time besides maybe the Charter Arms: all steel snub 44 special. The hammer was so sloppy on its' pin it would chop out a bigger notch in the frame every 2nd or 3rd hammer fall causing misfires from the lost energy at the same time.

Interestingly I had held it over the time period the 696 was produced and discontinued and perhaps due to their popularity and the recent rise of the 44 special in general managed to trade it in to the same dealer I bought it from for a few dollars more. Probably still lost due to time, aggravation, ammo and the shrinking dollar.

Second place would be a mini-14 that would not shoot. Bought it before I participated in internet forums so I had no idea. Some maintain they do what they were designed to do. Maybe so but then one would have to argue the black rifles have gone on to do much more than they were designed for.

Lessons: do not buy on impulse. Get the forums word of mouth opinion on anything before you buy/Gun rag reviews mean nothing

Snapping Twig
10-31-2011, 01:44 AM
My very first revolver, a S&W 586 ND I bought new in 83. Damn thing spit! Stand anywhere next to it and it shaved lead and spit particles. Sent it to the factory, had a local smith try his hand - nothing worked. Gone.

Second was a 2.5" LH 686. Had a dead cylinder. Every few cylinders, there was one charge hole that wouldn't ignite the round. Same one each time. The mainspring screw was as tight as it could be. Traded it off with full disclosure. That short ejector rod helped me to say good-bye to it also. Couldn't eject the empties.

Last one was a Kimber Custom CDP II. FTRB every 80 rounds or so. Unacceptable! Shot ball OK, but it did not like anything else and I do not shoot ball, so it had to go.

There was a Ruger SBH I bought for a song with intent to make a Bisley or send it off to Linebaugh for their conversion, but I traded it off for a motorcycle. I got the better end of that trade. :) That small cavalry grip and the dragoon trigger guard draw a 20" vacuum!

badbob454
11-01-2011, 02:11 AM
cobra enterprize of utah inc.derringer 38 sp. caliber ... blew up in my hand with factory ammo not even plus p....i trashed the firing mechanism, drilled out the firing pin hole , ,and threw it away ... piece of junk ..... sad to say made in usa..... i never even complained as i wouldnt even want it replaced took a piece out of my finger , but im healed up now..:groner:

badbob454
11-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Llama mini max double stack 45. That thing couldn't go through a mag w/o either FTF or FTE, I sent back for repair twice then traded it for about 1/3 what I paid. I was glad to be shed of it though.

seconds on that only mine was a 9mm

badbob454
11-01-2011, 02:32 AM
If you had sent the gun back to Henry and they would have paid for shipping both ways they would have either fixed your rifle or replaced it. Do you complain about the plastic on your other guns.? Besides that asking Henry they would have given you a free iron sight upgrade since they make metal ones now.

henry would only pay for the return, of my fixed 22 lever , they said i have to pay to ship it to them it is a good rifle now , i have since sold it

sqlbullet
11-01-2011, 01:05 PM
My first handgun was a used Browning Hi-Power. Nothing really wrong with it, but I was then (and still am) a 10mm addict. I was young, had money and the gunshop didn't have a 10mm.

It was OK for about a week. Then I got to my friends home in CO, and he dropped one of my 9mm cartridges clear through the barrel of his 10mm. And I realized I had made a huge mistake.

Traded it and then bought (Idiot kid that I was) a Ruger P-whatever-it-was in 45 ACP. Bad trigger pull, huge gun, small capacity for the size.

When the Ruger left I got a Delta Elite. Sold it to buy an engagement ring. Still have the wife, and am happy to have her, but I miss the gun. My P-16-40 (10mm conversion) runs like a top and is in every way a more useful gun. Still, one day an early '90's Delta and I will cross paths at the right time.

josper
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I had a ruger mini 30 that I was disapointed with. The best it could do at 100yds was 3" off a bench. I guess I was spoiled by my Rem.mod. 700 that could shoot one hole groups at 100 yds.

sixpointfive
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
You were lucky you got 3" groups

leadman
11-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Probably the worst gun I ever bought was one of the Eqyptian copy of the Tokarev. Had an added safety to get into the country. Every time you fired it the safety would go on. bad detent and the lever was forward for safe. Knew the gun shop guy pretty well so he took it back and I got a Chinese Tokarev. Worked good but sold it later.
The last "worst" gun was an NEF 223 heavy barrel varmint gun. If you wanted to shoot it more than once you needed a cleaning rod with you to get the fired case out of the chamber. NEF said it was fine. Chamber looked like it was chambered with a rough drill bit. Polished it out with a rod and emery and got it to work. Sold it to a young soldier for a song and he was happy.

sixpointfive
11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Bought ruger mark lll Hunter. Jammed so bad that ruger sent me new pistol of which this one feeds flawlessly. Problem was that I had to ship gun back three times to get new gun.

dk17hmr
11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I had a Taurus semi auto 9mm dont remember the model but I actually liked it except for the fact that it was a 9mm, it carried nice and would run great with hot loads, it ussally went with me when I was sitting in my tree stand during archery season. I think it was the only gun I ever lost money on when I traded it. Traded it for a semi auto 12 gauge which in turn I traded for 2 other 12 gauges. Which leads me to the one I regret, a NEF 12 gauge 3 1/2" I shot it twice with 2oz turkey loads, it patterened great but that recoil destroyed me. I sold that for almost what I paid for the Taurus 9mm.

3006guns
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
An Iver Johnson "Bulldog" back in the early seventies. It was a six shot .22 with a bull (target) barrel and direct lineage to Taurus for several reasons. The cylinder only revolved when it felt like it, the barrel was actually loose in the frame and the action felt like it was full of rocks. I was pretty steamed that a new gun would act like that, especially when I paid $35.00 for it!

I decided to be generous to my ex wife when we split up and gave it to her.

Plastikosmd
11-13-2011, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=ColColt;1424289]I can't recall any I regret buying but quite a few I regret selling/trading.

Same.

I have been lucky, quite blindly, to buy stuff that has been flawless. ( even my 22 sig mosquito, one of my favorite ' new shooter semi's.'. I have regretted some sales or trades. Before I consider a sale now, I shelf the gun for a few months, a year in some cases. Many times I have fallen back in love and have been glad I didn't sell. I usually have to make outright purchases rather than trades. Saves from buying the same gun back.

bcp477
11-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Well, let's see. Just looked thru ALL of the responses.....and counted all mentions, of whatever brand or model, that were called "regretted buying, or guns with problems, etc" I did NOT count any "regretted selling" or "regretted getting rid of"....anything like that (obviously, that doesn't fit the original premise).

The score stands, as of now :

Taurus : 15

All Others : 107

Oh and for me......one Chinese SKS. Worst trigger of any gun I've ever handled.

So, I guess that makes it :

Taurus : 15

All Others : 108

The point being......how about a little FAIRNESS ? If you don't like something, or have personally had bad experiences with one brand or model, etc......then say so.....but, tell it like it IS. If it is ONLY an opinion - just say so. I am speaking to all here - not only one (or a few). Throwing mud may be fun, but it doesn't really help anyone, does it ?

JayinAZ
11-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Para Ordnance P-13. Nothing would make it run right. Sold it to a dealer at a gun show for a loss.

DeanWinchester
11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
All four AK's I had at one time....since sold. I should have spent more time with one of them instead of investing heavily in them. Luckily I made a profit so no harm, no foul. I don't care how reliable they are inaccurate rattle trap and you are labeled as soon as someone sees you with one. Glad they are gone. If they were an old trusty butcher knife, my AR's are surgical scalpels by comparison.

thegreatdane
11-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Para Ordnance P-13. Nothing would make it run right. Sold it to a dealer at a gun show for a loss.

another departs via gunshow! take heed!

JayinAZ
11-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, but I sold it to a dealer, not an innocent bystander :)

thegreatdane
11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but I sold it to a dealer, not an innocent bystander :)

Of course. But what did he do with it? Prob sold it st the show.

desertwheeler
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Very interesting thread. I wonder how many of the bad guns were lemons vs. just poor manufacturing in general. It would also be interesting to hear how many have had the "bad" guns but actually liked them.

I read bad reviews of two that I own and love to shoot: the Dan Wesson .357 and the Taurus Model 29 .22. They're both accurate and have worked without a hitch. I don't anticipate every getting rid of them.

BOOM BOOM
11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
HI,
EDUCATIONAL THREAD.
But , not a real accurate survey, statically speaking.
Taurus taking a lot of hits, but how many of us would buy a Rossie or Arminius ?
Heck are they still in production?
They had such a bad reputation, even in the gun rags, that most of us would not even buy one.:Fire::Fire:

desertwheeler
11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
I thought I heard that Rossi is owned by Taurus now. I have a Rossi .22 pump action long rifle that my brother got about twenty years ago. We still shoot it with just the iron sights, and it will consistently hit empty shotgun shells at 25-30 yards (maybe this isn't very impressive but it works for me). I've used it over the past five years to kill quite a few varmints....coyote, skunk...The blue is wearing off. I'd like to get it reblued.

targetshootr
11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Not a gun but the conversion work done on one. Total ***** from start to finish and I can't sell it knowing how messed up it is. Just because someone has a gunsmithing website doesn't mean they're a gunsmith.

Saint
11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Definitely regret buying my Hi-Point C9 9mm, from a self defense standpoint the only reliable way to use it would be to throw it at the perpetrator since it weighs enough to do some damage. Have tried every mod imaginable and every brand of ammo I could get my hands on and I can count on one hand the amount of times its fed a full mag without jamming. Almost regretted buying my Remington 770 30-06 but after some minor mag polishing I got it feeding like a champ. You get what you pay for with guns, with few exceptions. (I love my Stoeger p350 12ga and it was cheap cheap cheap)

MBTcustom
11-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I am a big fan of Remington arms, but the 742 was a big, fat, hairy, mistake. Basic design flaws. Its a darn good thing that most remingtons are reliable and accurate, because if you ever have a problem, their CS dept. sucks rocks.

Smoke-um if you got-um
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
A Charter Arms 44 Special "Bulldog". I bought it a long time ago on an "impulse" and had it about a year before selling it. It was inaccurate and the trigger pull both single and double action was terrible. It would not shoot anywhere near where the fixed sights were pointed at and 44 Special ammo/cases were difficult to locate. It was so light it kicked about as bad as a 44 magnum. There were no aftermarket grips available at the time and the inadequate wooden grips made shooting it a very unpleasant experience. All in all it was pretty much a disaster. Mine may have been a fluke, I have no way to know because I never met anyone else who had purchased one. I was fortunate to be able to sell it with minimal loss. The gentleman that bought it still has it to this day in his night stand drawer. I doubt he has fired the remainder of the box of ammo I let him have with it. Well, I've heard it said "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Mike

Harter66
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I had a 380 Bryco/Jennings when I lived in a rough apartment complex,a couple of well placed razor blades stopped all of the gas thieving. To quote the G&A writter "they work fine untill they quit" . It shot fine about 8" at 25 yd,it fed ,ejected,and went bang every time. Then the disconector showed a little slop , she was all done. $40 in parts in a $100 NIB gun. It went down the road . By then I was in a better home and had better guns and only took a loss for the parts.

2nd runner up was a Taurus 66 which for the record wasn't a bad gun as long as you shot 38s or 38+Ps. It threw 357s all over the trick w/it was to hold the loads to 1100 fps by the book w/bullets/boolits from 125-200gn. Under 125 you could drive them to blow up and it'd shoot all the groups you wanted. I think maybe it had a tight bbl and open throats w/ tight chambers.

Last is a Marlin mod 19 12ga just because it hasn't fired a round in the 15yr I've had it even though it meets all the test spec's to be safe I'm still scared of that bar fight busted butt stock.

Harter66
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I've got this Model 12 too. It comes up perfect feels right but that bugger slaps me every time on the 2nd shot .

palmettosunshine
11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
A Charter Arms 44 Special "Bulldog". I bought it a long time ago on an "impulse" and had it about a year before selling it. It was inaccurate and the trigger pull both single and double action was terrible. It would not shoot anywhere near where the fixed sights were pointed at and 44 Special ammo/cases were difficult to locate. It was so light it kicked about as bad as a 44 magnum. There were no aftermarket grips available at the time and the inadequate wooden grips made shooting it a very unpleasant experience. All in all it was pretty much a disaster. Mine may have been a fluke, I have no way to know because I never met anyone else who had purchased one. I was fortunate to be able to sell it with minimal loss. The gentleman that bought it still has it to this day in his night stand drawer. I doubt he has fired the remainder of the box of ammo I let him have with it. Well, I've heard it said "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Mike

My experience with the Bulldog has been completely opposite. Besides my CZ75, it's the only gun I'd never sell.

My regrets were an Auto Ordnance .45 that I bought in college and a Ruger LCR in .38 Special.

The "Thompson" never would feed properly, one too many jam and it went away.
The Ruger is probably my fault as I didn't shoot it before I bought it. The recoil was so brutal with +P ammo I thought it'd blown up. It was going to be my wife's concealed carry piece. Needless to say it got traded immediately.

The good news is that the LCR is responsible for me learning to reload as I had a desire to make ammo that I could shoot in it. Now I just have to buy another one....

thegreatdane
11-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I really like my LCR 357!

justingrosche
11-18-2011, 04:50 PM
A Savage 10 in 270 .The stock is flimsy as tupperware ,the trigger sucks, and it hasn't had any signs of accuracy with either cast or jacketed in any weight I've tried. It'll be going down the road very soon I hope.

Bye, Bye Tuperwear Savage. Traded it off on another 270 win. This time got a SS Remington 700. Hopefully it shoots better then that *** Savage.

colt 357
11-18-2011, 07:25 PM
I never bought a gun that I regreted. I had a couple that gave me trouble. but I was able to figure out what was going on and fixed it. I got a Hi Point in 9MM . It has shot great up till here recently. but I have been tweeking loads and I think I got the OAL a bit to long and the boolits were not seating all the way in the chamber. I got some loaded for this weekend with a shorter OAL to see if the problem goes away. I payed a $132.00 for the Hi point and shot it all summer. It don't shot like the more expensive one, but I don't expect it to. Heck I spent more money at the casino and walked out with nothing. The Hi Point is more fun then the casino too and I still got it. I love to shot anything with a trigger.
I may even get another Hi Point as a range plinker.

thegreatdane
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I never bought a gun that I regreted. I had a couple that gave me trouble. but I was able to figure out what was going on and fixed it. I got a Hi Point in 9MM . It has shot great up till here recently. but I have been tweeking loads and I think I got the OAL a bit to long and the boolits were not seating all the way in the chamber. I got some loaded for this weekend with a shorter OAL to see if the problem goes away. I payed a $132.00 for the Hi point and shot it all summer. It don't shot like the more expensive one, but I don't expect it to. Heck I spent more money at the casino and walked out with nothing. The Hi Point is more fun then the casino too and I still got it. I love to shot anything with a trigger.
I may even get another Hi Point as a range plinker.

I like that positive attitude. :drinks:

Texinoz
11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Taurus thunder pump action 45 colt (Lightning lookalike.) Jams or flips cartridges over any time you try and rapid fire it...

Coltpax
11-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Remington 1100 made in 1978

I tried everything, even took it to two gunsmiths and the thing wouldn't cycle and nobody knew why. Sold it for what I paid for it. Beautiful gun, just wouldn't work.

On the contrary, I'm more than happy with my Rossis and Taurus, my Pt99 AF shoots sweet. A little time with the buffer and some internals and it's got a nicer trigger pull than the berettas I've fired, and has been as, or more than, accurate than them.

adkpete
11-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Two months ago a bought a Smith and Wesson 645 and I hate it.
It has a long trigger pull, throws brass all over creation and is not very accurate.
I'm going to take it back to the gun shop and trade it for another revolver
Pete

Lloyd Smale
11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
hate to say this as theres so many fans here but if i had to pick my biggest mistake it would be the 480 bfr i bought new. I bought it right from magnum research so i paid to much for it. If i would have shopped around id have saved a couple hundred bucks. Didnt like it from the day it showed up. I was to big and heavy and had to many sharp corners. I didnt like that the frame wasnt dovetailed to fit the grip frame and all that held it was the two screws. I didnt like the screw only base pin retention system either. The worse though was that it was advertised as a 6.5 inch gun and was actually 7.5 due to bfr measuring barrels from the end of the frame rather then the forcing cone like every other manufacture in the world does. I also laughed at the all stainless front blade that was about useless in bright light. the rubber grips were a joke but i knew they would have to go when i bought it.
I didnt know what to do with this albratross so i got ahold of john linebaugh and asked him if hed fit a bisley frame to it and rechamber it to 475 and shorten the barrel. He said he would then called back a few days later and told me to dump it and buy a bisley ruger and hed build me a proper 475 for a price i cant even post here. So it went down the road at a 300 dollar loss before i even got it dirty. I can honestly say i didnt miss it for one second. Another thing that soured me on this gun was there service dept. I called then to complain that i didnt get a 6.5 inch gun like was advertised and the internet picture they showed had a blued front sight with a red insert that I wasnt all that excited about but was better then the joke of a sight they put on mine. The basicaly told me i didnt know what i was talking about and that was how everyone measured barrels and that the sight was changed to save money and they had the right to do that even without showing on there sight and if i wanted a true 6.5 inch gun with a blued sight it would cost me another 200 bucks to have it done. They basicaly came across with the attitude that i was a no nothing sob and that was before i even lost it with them. NEVER again would i give them a plugged nickle even if they had the best sixgun in the world for 300 bucks. Ive never been insulted by any other gun manufacture EVER and thats even considering i have been less then pleasant with a couple of them and MR did it while i was still being nice. They told me something like they build premium guns for discriminating gun people not guns for people that didnt have a clue. They recomended i buy a ruger. I told them that ive shot more ammo out of sixguns then the entire employee staff they had and probably own more then there whole staff combined did and that they could shove there big ###### reJect up there #####! Do you think i like bfrs;)

DeanWinchester
11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
They told me something like they build premium guns for discriminating gun people not guns for people that didnt have a clue. They recomended i buy a ruger. )

Wow that's sad. I've seen the BFR's. maybe not the worst pistol i ever looked at, but certainly not what I'd call a premium gun for discriminating gun people. If they want a lesson in PREMIUM production models...they should talk to Freedom Arms.

I will agree with Magnum Research on one thing though....you shoulda bought a Ruger. Linebaugh or Bowen can do more with a Ruger.........well, that doesn't need an explanation:razz:

Ecramer
11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Old Model Ruger Deerstalker carbine. The tenon that connected the trigger group to the upper was either cracked when I bought it or cracked on my second shot. Sent to Ruger -- early models had male lowers, female uppers. Ruger put my original trigger springs into a new group -- a lot model one with a female lower, to somehow mate with my female upper. Whole rifle went back to Ruger -- they offered me credit on a new rifle, but the credit they offered was less than I paid for the thing. They finally fixed it and I killed a small doe with it four years ago. I keep it around because it's pretty and matches my 10/22 in appearance. I wouldn't feel right about tradiing it to someone else.

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I am kind of like Will Rodgers or was that Roy? heck I dont know ... "ive never met a gun I didnt like" well he said man but ... some are better than others and some I like a lot more than others but they are all pretty good kind of like sex.

ebner glocken
11-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow, I own desert eagles and a BFR w/o any problems and called customer service at MR and didn't get treated like that at all. Not saying it didn't happen, just really surprised. BTW only reason I called them was for a different front sight, no issue with the gun itself.

Back to the original thread topic. Worst revolver I ever bought was a taurus 605. It went back to Florida twice, came back with the same problem twice. Cylinder would either lock up tight or not lock at all. When it did function before the end of the cylinder full it would shave lead. Not anything you would want out of a defensive gun. It was traded off on a LR-308 w/o any regret. On the other hand I own two other tauri w/o any problems what so ever.

Ebner

GaryN
11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
I bought a brand new Dan Wesson 357 magnum in a case one time. It came with four different barrels. Two inch, four inch, six inch and eight inch. It had a couple of grips too IIRC. I took my brand new gun home and cleaned it. Two of the barrels were heavily pitted. When I bought it it was kinda dirty. I couldn't really tell it was pitted. But when I saw the new gun with pitted barrels I didn't even shoot it. I just took it back. They gave me my money back.

pricedo
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Two, the Marlin in .44 mag and a Bisley that my hands can't take. Both are gone. [smilie=s:

I had a Mosberg bolt action 12 gauge that was a piece of junk.

It should have came with a couple of pipe wrenches that action was so stiff.

It went back the same day.

If you want a good .44 Mag lever get the Rossi R92.

At $400 it won't break the bank like a new Winchester (Miroku) 92 will.

My 16" model is a light (4.8 pounds) fast gun & will digest any ammo I feed it including .44 SPEC.

The little safety will bug you at first but you have to admit that when you are unloading a 92 there is a small fraction of a second during each unloading cycle that the action is closed and the hammer is cocked over a live round.

Having a firing pin block safety engaged at that time isn't a bad thing in case of a careless slip (we all make em from time to time).:guntootsmiley:

I, as a 92 purist, find the little safety switch on the receiver less conspicuous & less "legacy detracting" than the eyesore tang safety on the Winchester (Miroku) 92.

Never saw the Duke carrying a 92 with a tang safety.:smile:

chemteach
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Bought a Sig P250 Compact in .40 S&W. Failure to fire, failure to feed, light strike, you name it, it did it. On the third trip back to the shop, I asked Curtiss, the customer sevice rep, and a nice kid to boot, to please consider looking in Sig's refurbished guns box and find me a 226, 229, or 239 or something, and swap even up for that 250. He did. I now have a german made, metal frame, 239 that eats everything I feed it and I love it and I carry it without a glimmer of doubt that it will perform if needed.

Christorbust
12-25-2011, 06:46 PM
S&W Bodyguard 380ACP.
FTF and FTE from the getgo with factory ammo and reloads. It went back to the factory 4 times and on it's last trip I asked for a full refund and received it.

I toyed around with the thought of this gun for ultra concealability when my regular CCW wasn't practical.

I've heard some have trouble and some love 'em.

You happened to remember what you serial number started with (I'm hoping it was the earlier ones that had problems and have since been tweaked by S&W)?

dave22250
12-25-2011, 07:13 PM
The biggest mistake was getting into contender and encores,can't stop buying barrels,they add up quick,and I always want another I have a few for two years and I have'nt shot yet.

o6Patient
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Most of them... to second guess ALL these years down the road: I would make
more sense with gun selection; Mostly I've regretted ones I've sold.
Sell the more useful ones for more overpriced less flexible choices.
I think that if we can't look back in hind sight and think we could have been
more logical means we were a very smart jack indeed. I wasn't one.. but still love
most of them.:roll:

kweidner
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
P90 ruger dc. most innacurate handgun I ever touched and a Taurus judge. Wouldn't shoot 45 colt for anything. Both long gone. p90 turned into a Loaded springfield 1911 and judge aa camo dip on custom smith 29.

rintinglen
01-07-2013, 05:08 AM
CZ-24--won't shoot 5 rounds without a jam. It was cheap, but it don't shoot for beans.

The most disappointing gun I ever had was a S&W 624. I had bought into the hype thrown out but a couple of departed gun writers and was overjoyed when Smith came out with the 624. I just had to have a 6 incher. I got one and boy was I disappointed. At the time I was a pretty good PPC shooter, my scores with a 6 inch M-14 were high 1300's to low 1400's. That 624 was much less accurate. The best I could manage with it was 2 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards, nearly double what the M-14 would do. I eventually sold it and a M-459 and helped pay for my 2nd Daughter. Don't regret either of those guns leaving.

wch
01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Browning t-bolt 22: lousiest trigger on the planet and no "fix" that I can find.

midnight
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Of all the hundreds of guns that have passed through my hands (actually most stayed with me) there is only one that I never did get to work. That was a Browning B-2000 12 gauge semi auto. One of the prettiest shotguns I have owned. Never did get it to fire more than one shot at a time with any ammo I could lay hands on. Nobody would take it in trade cuz they knew all about them. Finally found a young kid at a Gander Mountain store who thought it looked pretty and I traded it for a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge 3 inch. The always work. Now that I am a lot older, my son shoots ducks & geese with it.

Bob

starmac
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
The last one, iffen I hadn't bought it the boat might not have sank with them.

RCE1
01-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Witchita bolt silhouette pistol in 7mmPPC. What a PITA. Still have it, thinking about rebarreling. 7PPC is just too much work. It's a pretty thing, though.

jabilli
01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Purchased a Norinco off the shelf of a pawn shop- I glanced it over pretty well and I wouldn't have been surprised to find it was new from the factory. Paid about average price for a Norinco. Took her out, loaded her up, a jam. A pretty difficult-to-unjam-jam. It seemed there was a slight dent in the barrel, about an inch or so down in there so that a round could not be fed in/chambered...The dent- I certainly was not comfortable with the idea of just trying to ram the bolt home and hope the case will come out after firing (assuming it would even do that.) At the time being newish to firearms I didn't want to attempt fixing this issue myself. To my lucky stars while deciding what to do I found a guy locally whom explained he refurbs and build custom sks's, I sold mine at a minor loss (40$ if you include the background check, a magazine, and a cranky mood overall I believe). I still want an SKS ><

wrench man
01-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Taurus "Gaucho" looks can be deceiving!, beautiful gun, ***!!, world poster child for light primer strikes!, found it to be the cheap copy of the safety transfer bar, heard lots of other guys had issue with theirs as well, and a Rossi 62SA, JAMB"O"MATIC!, if you don't mind splitting the rifle in half every two or three shots to clear the jamb!?
NO! more Brazilian ****! in my safe! EVER!

oscarflytyer
01-30-2013, 12:09 AM
K31 Swiss. I don't know what posessed me. Never shoot it and likely never will. Just seemed a good idea at the time.

Wow! Loved mine. Wish I had been able to get it home from Germany. Another one is still on my bucket list. VERY accurate!

gunfan
01-30-2013, 12:46 AM
I bought a Davis .22 for my estranged wife. It was a *** from the get-go.

Scott

pipehand
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Llama mini-max. Davis derringer. Charter Arms AR-7. And believe it or not, a Kimber CDP back when they were monkeying around with external extractors. After several trips back to Yonkers, it still wouldn't get through a magazine. Kimber made it right by sending back a Fullsized Custom with the internal John Moses Browning extractor. Not glitch one with that one.

Whiterabbit
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Scott

the Davis or the wife?

km101
01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
The only gun I ever regretted buying was a Beretta Tomcac .32 acp. I NEVER found a load (factory or handload) that would feed reliably in that gun! I was jamming constantly! Both FTF and FTE. After two trips back to Beretta and no improvement, it went down the road!

gunfan
01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
The Davis was worthless, she was not.

Scott

DxieLandMan
01-30-2013, 06:07 PM
I haven't regretted buying any gun for any reason other than they keep me occupied with reloading for them. I DO regret however not buying more earlier.

farmerjim
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Ruger 10-22 . It shot 1 foot groups at 25 feet. After 15 years of sitting in the closet I Put a Green Mountain bull barrel on it and it now shoots 1/2 in groups with cheep bricks at 50 yds.

TheCelt
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Ruger M77 VT in 308. Would not do better than 1.75 MOA with ANYTHING it was fed. Federal Gold Match was the best at 1.75 MOA, Win SP3 was 3.5 MOA. Ruger said that was acceptable and that was it. Will never buy a ruger rifle again.

largom
01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
I haven't regretted buying any gun for any reason other than they keep me occupied with reloading for them. I DO regret however not buying more earlier.

Same here. Wish I had back every one I sold. Larry

Chill Wills
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Ruger Old Army. Very nice handgun. Like new 1972 model (almost). I like my flinters, thought I would like the Old Army because I had one 35 years ago. I guess I cam to the same conclusion then to and forgot!:roll:[smilie=1:
It's going down the road.

Wolfer
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
It's not the ones I bought I regret, it's the ones I sold!

Ozarki
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Cimeron mode lp Extractor rod spring and housing down range on 5 th shot. Picked them up, screw and barrel stripped. on the 10th shot we got lite hammer strikes-no fire. Sent it back. The changed the firing pin. Sent two new screws did not fix threads in barrel. Back to range . Same problems. Took the mad. p home to the shop fired up the bandsaw and was very close to cutting that junk up. Decided I could not hurt it any. The hole in the hammer was too deep. Shimmed it now it goes bang. Fast forward 12 years and I have now made an ejector screw for it and one of these fine days I'll get it out of its plastic bag and put it back together. Never to have another Cimmeron anything ever
Wes

John Allen
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Years ago I bought a AMT 10mm hardballer when they first came out. It galled badly, was inaccurate and just a general piece of ****.

Gunslinger1911
01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Taurus 17 HMR revolver (not bashing Tarus at all - LOVE my 454 Raging Bull !!!) The 17 - Nice gun, good fit and finish, accurate, decent trigger pull ................... just not sure what the heck it's for !! Seemed like a good idea at the time. lol Such a nich gun, I don't think I'll ever find anyone crazier than me to buy it. (Did I mention it really lays waste to a pop can of water) THAT'S what it's for .......... the oooooh, ahhhh, wow factor !

Friends call me Pac
01-30-2013, 11:42 PM
A Jenning's .22 semi auto. Most unreliable gun I have ever owned or seen.

Casper29
01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
The Judge, I traded it for a GP100 and have no regrets.

Andyd
01-31-2013, 06:39 AM
In 1985 I bought a used Python. It is a very pretty gun but I never loved it, I cannot shoot it any better than the S&W M14-2 that I had bought the same year for less than half the price.

Worst is, I still have the Python and am waiting for a good opportunity to push it on my kids. If my youngest son joins the Navy this year, he will get that darn thing that he is lusting after ever since he could hold it.

He also wrenched my old bowling pin gun, a S&W M625-4, from me when he was 14.

Wal'
01-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Like a lot of other members, never regretted any of my guns, some had problems but half the fun was fixing whatever ailed them, after all, they all had their own personality's. [smilie=1:

Now the ones I sold or lost along life's journey......those I regret. :(

Range Raider
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Glock 27. A .40 subcompact sounded great for CCW but then I started shooting it. I worked with it for a few years but eventually sold it.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Ruger super redhawk 454 casull, the super redhawk doesn't have the same size grip
as the regular redhawk, my 44 redhawk fits my hand nicely but the casull is small
for my hand and especially in such a kicker.

John in WI
02-02-2013, 01:03 AM
The only gun I regretted buying was the day after my 21st birthday, back in the early 90's. I got a .40 Smith and Wesson Sigma. That ejected spent cases straight up and back. They would fall on your head, down your shirt, and finally one landed behind my shooting glasses and against my cheek where it left a burn and permanent scar. I sent it back to Smith, they assured me it was ok, and I sold it at a loss.

gwpercle
02-03-2013, 07:14 PM
A Berretta Tomcat in 32 ACP, I can't say one good thing about it . Don't believe everything you read in gun magazines and ads. I made a huge mistake when I bought this one. HATED IT . Traded it in on a S&W 637 Airweight in 38 spcl.+P, much much better choice...still got it and LOVE IT .
gary

crowbuster
02-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Mine was a remington xr-100 rifle in 204 ruger. Single shot, never shot worth a darn. Factory ammo or my reloads. Pour excuse for a rifle, no longer made, nothing remington can do they say. Far from a cheap mistake.

casterofboolits
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
AMT 7" long slide. Took my pistol smith 3 months to get it working. On the tenth round, the barrel split. Had another barrel fitted and traded it for AR parts.

KCSO
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
NOT A ONE! They all taught me something. If nothing else what NOT to buy the next time.

Andrew Mason
02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
i got a bolt action 32-20 that i really regret buying, i dont know why i bought it, but i did.
i have had it for about 3 years, i have never shot it.

crawfobj
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Kimber Ultra CDP. It had already been back to the factory for work on the external extractor once. ( receipt was in the box.) It had a nasty habit of ejecting at least one case out of each magazine directly at my forehead.

H&K USP "compact" - well made gun, but their definition of "compact" and mine are two different things.

Turned them into a stainless colt series 80 full size and an XD subcompact and haven't looked back.

john hayslip
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I bought a SIG mosquito that I never could get to work fight with either of the two springs they included . I sold it. The one that really irks me is a Tarus 380 that I bought for a carry gun to replace my Kel tec as the taurus has a nicer trigger pull. The Taurus has been back to them 3 times and has never gotten through a full magazine with out jamming, stovepiping or otherwise giving trouble. Several friends have shot it with the same result. I won't sell it in that condition as I'm afraid someone might try to use it in a defensive situation.

bruce drake
02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
A Colt 1991 model 45 ACP that i bought NIB (new in the box) in 1994. First trip to the range, the plunger tube and pin and springs all flew off within the first 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ. I never got that pistol to fire better than 6" groups past 15 yards or shoot a complete 8 round factory mag without a FTF. Despite 2 lengthy trips to the factory for repair and replacement of the barrel (the Barrel link cracked a year after after the plunger tube came off), it became a safe queen until 1998, I sold it and 8 other rifles and pistols off to cover some bills when my wife got sick shortly after our first son was born and couldn't work for an extended period.

Regret selling the Colt and the rest of the collection...Nope. Glad I paid for the medical care, everyday I get to see the wife and kids :)

Bruce

captbligh
02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
A 1976 Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts. Loved the cartridge, the bicentenial stamping, but the rifle would just not shoot. 3 to 5" groups at 100 yards with several handloads and factory loads. Swapped it for a new Rem 7600 in .35 Whelen which I love.

Dan Cash
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Springfield "Loaded" 1911. Grip was too deep front to back for a 1911, frame generally crude, serious miss feed and poor accuracy. No more of that ****.

bruce drake
02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
The wife or the .22?

Scott

landers
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I do regret owning a Winchester model 70 in .243WSSM, the rifle delivered mediocre accuracy and it was almost impossible to find ammo for. I was able to develop some decent antelope loads for it but i could never get the accuracy i had hoped for. As I mentioned I only regret owning it as I was able to sell it for more than i paid which helped finance a new pistol. So in reality I guess I shouldn't regret owning it. Its funny how your perspectives change when yo reflect on the big picture.

gkainz
02-08-2013, 10:02 PM
So when one sells the "one I wish I hadn't bought" for whatever reason, is it "full disclosure" or caveat emptor?

I bought a Win 70 in .308Win and the seller told me "it don't shot worth a damn" and was priced accordingly. I dumped the Tupperware stock and put a decent synthetic stock on it, and it shoots like it should, now.

briankk
02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
A Dan Wesson also.
I had the choice of a 4" 22 Colt Diamondback, or
a 22 Dan Wesson with a 4" and 6" barrel.
The Dan Wesson was pure junk.
The threaded area for the barrel was bored
and threaded off center. DW would not make it right.

+1 for Dan Wesson. I bought a .357 Model 11 patrol revolver, the faces of the cylinder, front and rear, were not parallel and the chamber were rough, got a case stuck in the cylinder, couldn't push it out with a pencil, tapped the pencil with a rubber hammer and the cylinder retainer broke off the sideplate and the cylinder fell on the floor.

Sent the whole lot back to DW, they said they couldn't fix it but they would sell me a new sideplate for about what I'd paid for the gun. In white, more money to get the new sideplate blued to match.. Still have that thing in a box somewhere around here, never re-assembled it..