PDA

View Full Version : Does Lee keep GB mold Originals?

hunter64
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I have been lurking on the site since about last May and I have noticed group buys but I never needed the ones offered until recently when I bought a .44 SBH that needs at least a .432 bullet. Does Lee keep a copy of the original and do they offer it again if you ask from the specific group buy mold?

Springfield
02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Apparently they don't. I have been involved in a few group buys and talked to LEE about a damaged mould and needed a replacement. They won't run off one unless you want to pay the 100 setup again. Best bet is to ask on the forum if anybody bought the mould you want and doesn't need it anymore.

hunter64
02-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Man that seems kind of dumb, think of all the money they could make. So on a group buy if something goes wrong with the mold after 5 months you are sol, seems kind of stupid to me.

Springfield
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Well, that's why some guys buy 2 moulds. I can't really fault LEE too much, some of the stuff we GB is a little unusual, and they can't stock a dozen of everything they ever make, they'd have a whole room full of moulds, some of which may never sell. Considering they will make most anything for 150 bucks for one and 50 each after that, that really is a pretty good deal. I sell Big Lube(tm) bullets, and ALL of the moulds are custom, so I have 3 and 4 of some of the most popuar ones in case of damage. I can usually get a new one from Dick Dastardly, but when he runs out he has to make another order for 25 and it doesn't happen overnight.

Ranch Dog
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
If you can find the drawing reference, they can reproduce the mold... I think this is why it is real important to use a Lee drawing in the group buy. When working on a group buy, Lee will send you a screen snap-shot of the CAD drawing if you ask. That image will have the file name that they used and the drawing will have the mold reference ID and date. With this they can reference the exact mold and recut it. It will require the setup fee or minimum purchase. They have cut thousands of molds and there is no way they could keep these in stock. Most would never be asked for again. Guys like us are kind of a fringe group that are different from the common user. To us a little change of .001" in a design is a big deal and to most others it is not even noticed...

Catshooter
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Wow Michael I had no idea that that was possible! Kewl.

I'll see if that can be put to some use.

Cat