PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up a rusty Mauser action?

Archey
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I have a lightly rusted Greek 1930 Mauser action that I would like to clean up for a project that I have been thinking about. There is no metal finish left, just light rust and dirt. I am thinking I will blue the reciver and mag well but not sure what to do about the bolt. Will the bolts take a blued finish? If they will not, what would the process be to getting a nice polished finish? I do not have a bench buffer so I will be doing all the polishing by hand. Thanks in advance for your advice.

thompsonm1a1
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
a good sand blaster will do a very good job taking the rust and grim off. you want it very clean to put on new blue.

gnoahhh
10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
IMO they look right with the bolt left bright and the bolt sleeve blued. Just my opinion though, all ways are good. Also IMO, you aren't handicapped by doing all of your polishing by hand. You'll be left with crisp edges (if you back your abrasives with something hard). Nothings says "Bubba" worse than rounded over edges and smeared lettering.

P.K.
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
How about try electolysis first and see if you get the results you want befor getting into the gritty stuff first?

P.K.
10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I had to go digging, here you go: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

Dutchie
10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
ordinary Coca Cola does the trick, slow but works.

frankenfab
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
If you don't want to do a matte finish, I wouldn't blast it. But, if it has a lot of pits, you may have to go that route.

The quality of the polishing will be the major factor in a blued finish. Just like how the body work on a car needs to be perfect if you are going to paint it black.

But, then, I am a picky b@Ss turd. Since you are asking for advice first, I'm sure you will do a great job!

GrayFox
10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Put it in a bucket with some CLR and let it soak until it is gone. It took all the rust out of a cast iron pot someone gave me.

John Taylor
10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
If there is any pitting I go for bead blast and leave the mat finish. Bolt body looks good when jeweled.

captaint
10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I'd hit it with 4/0 steel wool and oil. Leave it at that. Love those Mausers.. Mike