PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 did I make a big mistake?

twally
10-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I just took my new Rossi 92 out of the box and headed to my back yard to shoot it and was very disappointed when it would not chamber any .357 ammo that I had , I tried 3 types and would not chamber any of it with out having to use my pocket knife to pry them back and then push it in with my finger.
But it did like any type 38 special that i put in with out any problems at all.
any suggestions? I think I should take it back and get something different but I really wanted a .357 lever gun.

HATCH
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't think you can return a gun after you fired it.
When you feed it by hand does the 357 go all the way in the chamber?

twally
10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
yes it gos in ok it is getting hung up before it reaches the chamber. almost like it is too steep of an angle. it looks like it hits the top of the cartridge on the top of the chamber.

Ziptar
10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Might want to do a little reading before you give up on it.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_cartridge_guide.htm

Steve Gunz is a smith that specializes in Rossi 92 tuning.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/

He also sells a DIY DVD http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

twally
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
.357 shooter ill be honest , no i didn't clean it at all it is new so I thought it should clean.

357shooter
10-02-2011, 03:13 PM
.357 shooter ill be honest , no i didn't clean it at all it is new so I thought it should clean.

Oops, I deleted my post after you responded. A good cleaning and lube is always a good idea. Things can be gunked up from the factory and cause issues. That's true for any brand, not just Rossi.

Might not help, but it might.

twally
10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
ok 357 I'll try cleaning.

Looks like you have a 92, how does yours work? any problems or have you done any mods. to it? also if I get it running I need to get a mold to start casting.
thans for the help.

fecmech
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Some fellows on the board have had some problems with the Rossi's, mainly feed issues. I own 2, a 20" carbine and 24" octagon, both in .357. They have been trouble free right from the gitgo and between the 2 they've digested over 5K rounds to date. I know of 2 more in this area that are running ok. Good luck with yours.

357shooter
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
ok 357 I'll try cleaning.

Looks like you have a 92, how does yours work? any problems or have you done any mods. to it? also if I get it running I need to get a mold to start casting.
thans for the help.

Mine fed everything from day 1, and it shoots great. I have the DVD and did most of the mods. Including the replacement follower and also the ejector spring. The only thing I didn't do was thin the extractor.

The action job makes it smooth as butter.

The DVD made it possible to assemble the gun correctly. Without it, I was lost.

The Lee TL-358-158-SWC is the best bullet so far. I shoot shorter range most of the time, due to lack of a place to shoot. So I go "tactical" and shoot off-hand a lot.

I did have a problem at one point, tracked it down to the loading gate sliding back. If it bulges out of the side of the gun, it slide back. When it's forward, the backside feeds the bullet onto the ramp. It's easy to fix, a pain if you don't know about it.

The DVD kit from Steve's Gunz is worth every penny. IMHO

The round barrel guns are drilled and tapped for the Rossi Weaver mount. Octagon's aren't. It's under the factory sight.

twally
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
ok thank you for the info.

I cleaned the thing out good and lubed again , still the same thing just wont feed .357 feeds 38 special great, after it jams if i push the leaver forward and then try to close the bolt again it will chamber, seems like it is just not aligned or something.

Link23
10-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I've never had a problem with my 44 mag rossi as a matter of a fact the opposite it is one of the best lever actions I have fired mine is smooth and locks up tight with a nice crisp trigger

357shooter
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Off the top of my head, have you tried a little extra "ooomph" when you open the lever. Make sure it's all the way open, little pause, then close it full speed? You've probably tried that, but a new gun can be tight. Just a thought.

Then try it light and see what happens.

G__Fred
10-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a used Puma 92 and have had no problems.

My odd question, are you using commercial or reloaded ammo?
The size difference of the 38/357 is obvious, but if reloading is the 357 on the shorter or longer OAL limit? Crimping may be an item to look at as well…

twally
10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I have tried to go fast and slow, but it still binds and jams. I tried a little force but that just wants to push the round down not up into the chamber, the round is sitting at the same angle when it jams as it is when the mechinism brings it up from the magazine to be put into the chamber.
the loading mechinism can't seem to get it lifted up enough to go in square.

357shooter
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Good point, didn't thing about the cartridges. What bullet design and OAL are they? I was testing a 358-477 and it cycles just fine out to 1.630. At 1.650 it quit working.

twally
10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a used Puma 92 and have had no problems.

My odd question, are you using commercial or reloaded ammo?
The size difference of the 38/357 is obvious, but if reloading is the 357 on the shorter or longer OAL limit? Crimping may be an item to look at as well…

That's a good question,

I am using commercial loads that measure 1.57" oal. 3 different brands, and 3 bullet weights and types.

125gr. jsp Remmington

142gr. fmj tc Fiocchi

158gr. jhp Blazer

robertbank
10-02-2011, 07:53 PM
You aren't going to like hearing this but my Rossi in .357mag like it's bigger brother my .44mag runs cartridges through it like butter. The only problem I ever had was early on when I loaded some cartridges to long.

Take Care

Bob

Ben
10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I bet it would run this bullet " like water going through screen wire."
This bullet is the 356402 IDEAL, mine cast right at .359 "
It runs through my 1894 Marlin 101% silky smooth.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4414e88fe4dbd55f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2332)

badge176
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Way back a bit I smoothed up at least 3 or 4 of these. I polished the elevator so the rounds slid back easily, I polished the inside of the guides that bolt into each side, and I ran a hone in the chamber. I found that more pointed ogives ran in more readily and FRN 180 CBs regularly needed a double pump of the lever- one to start the round and the second to run it in. Heavies in FMJs and JHPs went in without a hitch but the Boolits were grabby on the way in as they banked off the top of the chamber. Definitely COAL sensitive.

fecmech
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
When the round comes up on the lifter is it at the same angle and same height as the one in the picture?? The gun pictured feeds fine.
As the bolt pushes the round forward does the rear of the shell pop up as soon as the cartridge rim aligns with the slots in the cartridge guides?? it should.

crawfobj
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Another +1 for the Steve's Gunz dvd. If you're at all handy, you can do the action job he demonstrates on the video. If nothing else, you can learn what to look for as far as potential causes for your problems.

220swiftfn
10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Someone mentioned the cartridge guides...... On mine (45), there's enough wiggle room on the guides that I have to be careful during re-assembly (IIRC, I have to push them towards the butt when I tighten the screws.) If I don't, the cartridge jams because it can't bend around the guides, it gets trapped between the guides and the bottom of the chamber mouth. I'd suggest loosening the guide screws and seeing if you can move 'em back.... Also, if you're going to be shooting long cartridges a lot, you can file back the stop on the elevator to gain a bit of room for the longer OAL.

Dan

Reg
10-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Any time I have ever had any feeding troubles in any in anything like this I get my hands on a L.E. Wilson headspace gage and see what my ammo checks out. Several times it came back to the ammo in one way or the other.
In your case, I wonder if your loaded ammo isn't too long in overall length.
It might be within specs for normal loaded ammo but ----
Had a Browning 92 in .44 Mag years ago and it did boil down to the overall loaded length of the finished shell. Never could load the bullets I wanted to use and was very limited in the overall length and it lead to the trading off of the rifle.
It sometimes just works out like that.

:drinks:

twally
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
When the round comes up on the lifter is it at the same angle and same height as the one in the picture?? The gun pictured feeds fine.
As the bolt pushes the round forward does the rear of the shell pop up as soon as the cartridge rim aligns with the slots in the cartridge guides?? it should.

ok, my round sits on the elevator just like the picture, but when i push the bolt forward it stays at that angle the rear of the shell stays down and then binds up .

fecmech
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
ok, my round sits on the elevator just like the picture, but when i push the bolt forward it stays at that angle the rear of the shell stays down and then binds up .

Look at your lifter, there should be a hump on the left side that pushes the rim of the shell up when it aligns with the cutout in the cartridge guide. The rear of the shell actually drops into that depression before the hump to clear the bottom of the guide then rides it up into the guide slot and on top of the guides. The rear of the shell needs to come up to prevent binding. That hump should align as in the pic with the rear of the guide cut out.

Phat Man Mike
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd call Steve and ask him. super nice guy. and a real magician with them Rossi's .. he gave me some tip's on the one I bought.

twally
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Thank you all for the great help and advise, I took the rifle back to the dealer today to let them decide what they want to do.
After all this is a brand new rifle and should function without having to mess with it,
I will let you folkes know what happens as soon as I find out.
Again thankyou for the help.

twally
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to report back to you all about the m92 .357.

The dealer took the gun to the range and test fired with several brands and hand loaded ammo and had the same results as I did , just won't load .357mag.

They didn't have another m92 .357 rifle in stock but had .44 mag and .45colt in the Rossi 92. The actions were by far superior to the .357 as far as smoothness the .44 and 45colt cycled like silk and the .357 was rough.

I think I just had a bad gun .
So the dealer refunded my money and now I will start over.

fecmech
10-08-2011, 07:39 PM
To save yourself some time and energy load some empty .357 cases and 38 spl cases to factory oals with bullets but with no powder or primers. In fact decap the old primer and leave the pocket empty in case you get an antsy store clerk. When you go to purchase your next gun ask to cycle your dummy cases through it to make sure the gun feeds ok. There is no reason why they should not let you do that and if they wouldn't I would not buy the gun.