PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby, is this normal?

peter nap
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win.
So far it's fair in the accuracy department but I'm still working up loads,

Trigger is good and everything works like it should.....until I get to feeding.

If I put one shell in the magazine, it feeds it flawlessly.
If I put 3 shells in, it feeds all three flawlessly.
If I put 2 shells in, it jams the top shell every time. The lead nose is deformed.

To be honest, it's not a big problem, just irritating.

Is this something with Weatherby's or should I try to figure the problem out?

waksupi
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Peter, I would see if I could find a different follower for the magazine. If you have any other bolt actions around, just try the followers from them, see if there is a difference.

danski26
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Doesn't happen in my 270 vanguard. All feed fine.

leftiye
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
There's a reason that is happening. Probly the positioning of the top cartridge when two are in the magazine and the bolt all of the way back. Try to see why when three are in the magazine, the second one then will feed when it will not when there is not one on top. Something's happening differently with how that shell is picked up and jammed into (what, you didn't say) rather than chambered when it isn't fed with the bolt starting in closed position and being pulled back and then feeding the shell.

peter nap
10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure it out leftiye.
It is worse with spire points though.

The dealer tried it and agreed to take it back after hunting season if I want...or send it to Weatherby.

It's not enough of an issue for me to return it, maybe send it back for repair.

I ordered a new trigger today so I think I like the gun.

GabbyM
10-04-2011, 09:36 PM
My early 1970's VG wood stock 270 Win feeds anything even upside down. It'll slap them home and I’ve feed it just about any bullet you could think of.
In other bolt guns aka Remington’s I’ve notices the position of the magazine box as it is set into the stock will foul up feeding even if only tilted 1/16th an inch or so. Hence the first thing I’d check is the magazine box is set snug into the receiver recess.

Rico1950
10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
My Mark X .308 does the same thing. Don't remember which side, right or left of the magazine.
Have to check that mag box.

peter nap
10-05-2011, 05:15 PM
My Mark X .308 does the same thing. Don't remember which side, right or left of the magazine.
Have to check that mag box.

My second round is on the left and you can feel that it's not right. Almost like the follower tilts that direction. I'm guessing the 3ed round levels everything out.