PDA

View Full Version : lead, tin, antimony?

Bagdadjoe
10-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I've mixed up a batch of 30-1 for my Gibbs and see some stuff floating on top of my mix (which should be "pure lead" and tin). Even after fluxing it's there. So, I come here and read one of the stickys concerning alloys.

"Lead/antimony alloy drosses considerably. As your melt reaches liquidus temperature that silvery, lumpy, oatmeal looking stuff floating on top is antimony. Skimming it off seriously depletes the alloy; it needs to be fluxed back into the melt."

So, if I don't want antimony in my mix and don't know for sure that the "pure lead" is totally pure lead, should I skim that off. I don't want antimony or anything else in my long range muzzleloader bullets except lead and tin. Tin, as far as I know, does not float to the top?

JSnover
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Make sure your temperature is not too high, so you don't cook the tin out. Flux and skim. Your tin should stay in the melt where you want it.

Bagdadjoe
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm running at 750...to fill these big cavities. Don't think that's too hot..

lwknight
10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
If you have tin in the alloy you will never skim all the antimony out.
The tin makes a sort of wetting agent that binds the antimony in the lead.
The more tin the more antimony it will hold. 4% tin can easily hold 12-15% antimony in solution. Even 1% tin can hold a few percents antimony in ternary alloy.