PDA

View Full Version : BF sights

Powderpacker
02-04-2007, 07:38 AM
I have an early (low 3 digit s/n) BF falling block pistol made when Bert & Faye were working in Grand Island - this was before E. A. Brown bought the company and moved it to Minn. I bought the gun 'pre-owned' with no signs of use and no sights. I have been searching for original 'factory' sights for the gun for several years with no luck. I have already checked with E. A. Brown and several of the old sight dealers advertising in Gun List so now I'm turning to the knowledgeable folks here on the forum for assistance in locating sights for the gun. I have only seen one early BF pistol with sights and that had a peculiar set-up with a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. The dealer that had the gun didn't know if the sights were original or not.
Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Ted

Dye
02-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Ted
The original sights were elevation front ,windage rear. Front sight has a hood.
Is this a IHSMA model.The barrel is drilled for scope with four holes.
Hope this helps
Be carefull Dye

Mugs
02-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I belive I have 1 maybe 2 sets of original BF sights. Let me double check and I'll let you know. I have 1 of the first 100 guns made for IHMSA.
Mugs

Mugs
02-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I do have 2 sets of sights. If you plan on shooting the gun there are better sights available. It was Bert & Shirley Stringfellow. Let me know if your interested in some sights.
Mugs

Powderpacker
02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Dye -
The gun has the silhouette animals engraved on the right side of the reciever and the barrel is drilled for a scope . I have a base & rings set that looks pretty good on the gun but every scope I've tried in the rings extends too far to the rear of the gun and really gets in the way of loading rounds.
Thanks , Ted

Mugs
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
My 7sm has the silhouette animals. Those were only on the first 100 guns.
Mugs

Powderpacker
02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Mugs -
Yes, I'm very interested in obtaining sights for the gun. Your reply was exactly what I was hoping for. I've been searching for sights for several (many) years with zero results and within a few hours of posting on this board I have a positive reply. The crew on this board never ceases to amaze me !
Anyway, I was looking for original sights but if there is a better alternative I'd like to hear about it . I do plan to shoot the gun and with my old eyes I can use all the "better" I can get.
I read somewhere the Stringfellow's names were Bert & Faye and that's where the "BF" came from. If her name is/was Shirley, what does the "F" stand for in "BF"?
Thanks, Ted

Dye
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Mugs
Is your serial under 0050 or over.
Be carefull Dye

Mugs
02-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Ted-
You might be right about Shirley we shot silhouette with them for years and that was the only name we new her by. On the sights check with E.A. Brown at www.eabco.com or Ken at www.kenlightmfg.com they both make sight packages with Bo-Mar rear and hooded fronts. The front are adjustable for sight width. The .100 rear notch with front blade adjusted for width you like is the ticket for old eyes.
Mugs

Mugs
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Dye-
IHMSA 035. I have a second one also built by Bert that was in 7 E.T. Gates. Later converted to .22 by Brown.
Mugs

Monkeyboy
02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I shot silhouette with Bert and Shirley years ago in Grand Island,Ne. I have a BF in 7sm that was Shirleys' personal gun. The serial no's first 3 letters are her initials SFS. I always knew her by Shirley, Faye may have been her middle name. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!----Mike.

Powderpacker
02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Mugs -
Thanks for the leads. I have Bo-Mars on a couple of my guns and they work well for me. When I asked Eban about the orignal sights he just said he didn't have any - didn't offer me the option of Bo-Mars. That was a few years back - maybe he didn't have them at that time. I have several of Ken's sight ribs on Contender barrels and they work well also. Not sure if those have Bo-Mar or ISGW sights on them. I'll check with Eban and Ken and see if they have anything to fit the hole pattern on my barrel/reciever.
You said the animal engravings were only on the first 100 guns. The s/n on my gun is in the 200's so I guess the engraving on my gun was done by someone after the gun left the 'factory'. I guess that also means it's not an IHMSA model.
Oh, well - I still like the gun !
Thanks again, Ted

Dye
02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Mugs
I have 044.
BE carefull Dye

Mugs
02-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I guess I should quit trying to rely on my memory. Maybe it was IHMSA ahead of the serial number that was on the first 100 guns. By the time my second one was built the serial numbers were up to 528. It had a U in front to show it was a unlimited gun. It had a 15" barrel.
Mugs

BAGTIC
08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I have one of those pistols too, I believe. It has adjustable rear but the front is missing, broken off. I have heard that the front sight was the same as the one used on Wichita pistols but I have never seen a Wichita so I don't know. I would like to replace mine.

ihmsakiwi
08-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Hi Powderpacker,

My two BF's both sport IWGS sights. These are still available from RPM from Karl Rock, son of the late Jim Rock. Prices are very reasonable. Peter