PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have the RCBS Pro 200 Auto advance?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
If you have the RCBS Pro 200 Auto advance or have set it up and used it, I'd love to hear your comments on how you liked it.

quasi
10-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Dave, I do not have the Auto index on mine, I am not sure it is my "speed". There seems to be quite a few RCBS 2000 users on THR forum, most seem to use and prefer the Auto index version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJVkKV4UqUY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

jmorris
10-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I know one fellow that uses and likes his, he also drives a Saab. So it may be just more different than functionally preferable.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the information quasi. I'll post my questions over there as well.

altitude_19
10-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Doesn't work well with the stock indexing spring. It snapped into place so violently when indexing it was throwing powder everywhere. RCBS sent me a new spring and fixed the problem right up.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
altitude 19,

How long have you had your press and do you think RCBS is shipping the different spring with new presses?

Thanks,

Dave

altitude_19
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I've had it a little over a year. As for the spring...it's a **** shoot. Depending on who you order from, the particular press you get could still be a year or two old and have the over-powered spring. Still, not a big issue. RCBS will have a new one to you in about a week. What kind of production are you shooting for anyway? Frankly, the PRO2000 is overkill for me, so I don't use it much any more.

Sonnypie
10-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting Dave.
I have the old Auto 4X4 (with auto indexing.) It tends to shake the rounds if I operate it too rapidly.
Not to the point of tossing powder. But enough to keep your attention.
My biggest beef was that mine didn't always index just right. It has a detent and ball under the shell plate. But I believe some of that had to do with the shell plates center bolt.
I got it dialed in and it chugs right along.
I still have to hand feed it cases and boolits. But heck, I'm sittin there pullin the handle anyway, might as well. :lol:

I had a quirk crop up with the powder measure once. There is a sliding funnel in the column the powder measure screws to. It is suppose to index the case neck and slide up staying in the case neck as the measure throws the charge. Then follow the casing down to engage the next round as the cycle continues.
Mine got stuck up at the top of the stroke and I noticed spilled bits of powder as the plate came around. Once I figured out it was the internal powder funnel not engaging the casings, and cleaned it and freed it up, it stopped dribbling.
Probably just a square kernel of powder.

I've only had one occasion to call RCBS, to order a different shell plate. But it was a pleasure.
I hope your new press is as reliable as mine has been over the years.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Well, I haven't bought it yet, but ten years ago I was interested in this press when it first came out in manual advance, but wanted auto advance. It's had a number of upgrades since then, including the bullet feeder and now I'm very interested. I had the Hornady LnL progressive before, but didn't care much for the case feeder needing so much adjustment between calibers with my reduced reloading of various calibers, so decreased run time between caliber changes.

I'm looking for a simple, reliable progressive with a bullet feeder to minimize reloading time while being quick and easy to change calibers. I'm getting from my answers received in this post and the one over on THR that the RCBS may be what I'm looking for.

For extreme precision, I have a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage. This would look Christmas like on the bench next to it. Not a bad color combo for a Christian man.

Best Regards,

Dave