PDA

View Full Version : .32 Long Colt Brass

stevenjay1
02-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I looking for a source that carries .32 Long Colt Brass. Only need about 25 pieces. I hope some one can help. Thanks, Steve

BCB
02-04-2007, 09:29 AM
stevenjay1,

I shoot the 32 Long Colt from a Model 92 Marlin. I purchased brass about 10 years ago from someone in Arkansas. Unfortunately, it was some of his last pieces of this brass. That said...There is a person who posts on here that goes by w30wcf. He has much knowledge of this cartridge and if I remember correctly, he may know were some of that brass can be found. I really don't know, and I don't want to put him on the spot. Yet he might see your thread title and step in. Good-luck...BCB

stevenjay1
02-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Thank You BCB, Hopefully I'll locate a source. I have two from a box of old cartridges I pick up years ago. I was lucky and found a No.2 Remington Rolling rifle that is chambered in .32 Long Rimfire. I also have a No. 2 centerfire breech block that headspaces perfectly so I' will be able to shoot the .32 Colt Longs without altering the rifle. How, just to find 25 .32 Long Colt cases. Steve

hydraulic
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a bunch of LOADED .32 S&W longs. Cartridges of the World doesn't say if they are interchangeable. Probably couldn't get them to you anyway--post office regs. I bought a bunch of old shells at the gun show last week; Krags, S&W .44 Americans, and these .32 longs. Only have about 10 bucks in them.

stevenjay1
02-04-2007, 10:42 PM
hydraulic, thanks but the 32 S&W Long is a different cartridge then the 32 Long Colt. I wish they were interchangeable. The .32 Long Colt is an odd duck and there aren't any modern or currently produced cartridges that can be used to make the Colt case. The .32 Colt Short is still being produced and since the .32 Long Colt and Short use a heeled outside lubed bullet I will be able to use the .32 Colt Short if push comes to shove. This is a similar situation where as you can fire a .22 Short or .22 Long in a .22 Long Rifle chamber. Steve

KCSO
02-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Hydraulic

Wrong S and W Long is the same as Colt New Police the 32 log was an outside lubed heeled bullet and the case is 6 thou smaller than a 32 S and W. If you shoot Colt 32 Long in a S and W or New Police they split. Somewhere I may have some 32 longs but who knows where I haven't seen them in 10 years. I'll look though. Might try the Old West Scrounger though.

kywoodwrkr
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
If you decide to try and use 32 S&WL I have a bunch of them.
If you have a chamber cast of what you will shoot in, measure it, and I'll measure these after they are sized for comparison.
Even if they are a tad too big you can make a base swage die to reform them. maybe by using a 25 acp sizing die or ??.
PM me if you want to pursue this.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

AkMike
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
You could have some turned by Rocky Mountain Cartridge company.

AkMike
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index.html

stevenjay1
02-06-2007, 01:09 AM
This has been quite a quest! .32 Long Colt brass is an elusive little puppy. I have already tried Old Western Scrounger and they don't carry it. I also tried Buffalo Arms, struck out there as well. I was thinking about Dave at Rocky Mountain as he has made brass for me in the pass so he is an option. But first I am going to try to locate the drawn brass. I plan to load this round with black powder so I would like as much powder capacity as possible. As for resizing the 32 S&W Long, I don't have the correct die set to perform that task but it is a thought. BTW, Old Western Scrounger did have new manufactured .32 Long Rimfire so I got a box. Should be fun. Thanks, I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Steve

w30wcf
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
stevenjay1,

Yes, .32 Long Colt brass is somewhat elusive.

Here are a couple of options:

John Scott is a cartridge collecter/dealer - phone 724-327-5565
I just spoke with him and he has some .32 Long Colt cartridges @ $1 each
I had purchased some from him a few years ago including some early U.M.C., W.R.A. CO., REM-UMC which are balloon head and great for reloading b.p.
I found that they will hold 1 gr. more b.p. than modern brass.

Uncle Jack forms .32 Long Colt brass from .32 S&W longs. He also sells bullets made from the IDEAL 299153 mold which is the historic .32 Long Colt Heeled bullet. http://www.uncle-jack.com/shooters.htm

Good luck,
w30wcf

stevenjay1
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
w30wcf, Thanks for the info. I'll call John Scott and email Uncle Jack. At least I know there are sources. I like the idea of balloon head cases providing they are in good condition. Thanks Again, Steve